• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What'd he say?
Tweeted about the recruiting class being the worst in the ACC so losing a few players from it is okay and will allow Forbes to get his guys in here sooner. Weston responded by defending Watson and suggested losing him was not a good thing. Sutton apparently blocked him. Then Weston posted laughing emojis with something about WF being last on his list so no big deal.

Pretty positive the whole thing was misconstrued. Weston’s mom responded to Sutton’s tweet in what appeared to be her thinking Sutton was including her son in his tweet - he wasn’t. Sutton blocked her after her response instead of clarifying. She then goes on to say Wake was at the bottom of their list. I believe she took his tweet out of context - a tweet that probably shouldn’t have been posted in the first place.

Boomer Brain Rot
Although, who was Weston again? Lol

Last edited:
Sutton’s tweet was factually correct. I mean, probably not the best thing to post, but the class was at the bottom of the ACC and losing players from it was expected. No idea why Brandon Weston’s mom felt it was an attack at Brandon who’s neither a Wake commit nor in the 2020 class. Oh well.

Sutton’s tweet was factually correct. I mean, probably not the best thing to post, but the class was at the bottom of the ACC and losing players from it was expected. No idea why Brandon Weston’s mom felt it was an attack at Brandon who’s neither a Wake commit nor in the 2020 class. Oh well.

Yeah confused about that as well

Because we’re under the “How dare you” generation with a bunch of tender hearts. There was no shot taken at Watson. The fact of the matter is that the class sucked. Djimon Bailey wasn’t ACC caliber, and all of the other guys are mediocre/developmental guys. I think it would’ve been nice to keep Watson, but it’s definitely not the end of the world. It may end up being a good thing. Forbes may be able to go out and get Whitt and another better guard instead of holding onto an undersized developmental player.

Mommy overreacted, and I hope Weston doesn’t take that to heart, because I thought we had a chance of getting him (especially if Watson stayed).

Yes many kids today think they are incredibly special snowflakes, but there is absolutely no reason for someone, especially someone as successful and you would think savvy as Ben Sutton to tweet something so pointless and critical. And, then you block the mom after she comments with something that yes, was a misunderstanding, but in no way harmful. This is exactly why donors get a bad name. Talk about special snowflakes.... C’mon Ben , expect better from the Wake community.

I mean. Ben Sutton indirectly criticized Watson. Weston is Watson's friend. It makes sense that Weston (or Weston's mom, I guess) took offense on his behalf. It was sorta irresponsible for Sutton to tweet what he did, even though I agree it all got blown out of proportion a bit.

Yes many kids today think they are incredibly special snowflakes, but there is absolutely no reason for someone, especially someone as successful and you would think savvy as Ben Sutton to tweet something so pointless and critical. And, then you block the mom after she comments with something that yes, was a misunderstanding, but in no way harmful. This is exactly why donors get a bad name. Talk about special snowflakes.... C’mon Ben , expect better from the Wake community.

And moms always think their sons are special snowflakes. I see what Sutton was saying, but that's not something a major donor puts out on Twitter. That's something schmoes like us post on Facebook or the boards.

Judging from his last week of posts, Sutton looks like an interesting follow.

Not that Weston was going to come anyways, especially now that Watson is gone, but on Twitter Ben Sutton pretty much just guaranteed that he is not coming to Wake.

sutton is rich and loves/funds wake and that's cool, but dude is such a donk

ETA: this is the first time that i've ever actually seen something like this happen and it comes from a mega donor. clown college-level shit, ben.

Last edited:
If there is any doubt, Brandon Weston tweeted a picture of Sutton's tweet while criticizing WF for the company that it keeps. Whether an overreaction or not, Sutton really pissed off that family.

https://twitter.com/bwest233/status/1264763663396855809?s=21
This is ridiculous. Not one to criticize 17-18 year old kids, but if this is how he feels then it’s better off he doesn’t end up at Wake. The tweet was completely unrelated to Brandon. I think this reaction from Weston’s family has more to due with Marcus not ending up at Wake than that tweet from Sutton.

Now Forbes has to do damage control because of a big donor's tweet. You just don't go on Twitter and insult recruits. It's a bad look.

giphy.gif

Because we’re under the “How dare you” generation with a bunch of tender hearts.

Mommy overreacted, and I hope Weston doesn’t take that to heart, because I thought we had a chance of getting him (especially if Watson stayed).

Didn't Sutton block the mom though? Seems like you've got your inter-generational criticism twisted here.

https://twitter.com/bwest233/status/1264763663396855809?s=21
This is ridiculous. Not one to criticize 17-18 year old kids, but if this is how he feels then it’s better off he doesn’t end up at Wake. The tweet was completely unrelated to Brandon. I think this reaction from Weston’s family has more to due with Marcus not ending up at Wake than that tweet from Sutton.

That's kind of my read on it too. Watson apparently was rejected by admissions and couldn't enroll. The Weston's and Watson's are close and it looks like they wanted to play at Wake together. Given that "everything's turning upside down" tweet Watson posted a few days back, I'd wager the families' feelings are a bit sore about being rejected. Sutton's tweet likely to them smacked of elitist behavior [which it kinda was] and they might've even took it as "official" considering who Sutton is. Sutton *isn't* wrong; Manning's 2020 class was pretty laughable. But no one likes to be mocked to their face publicly, and that's basically what Sutton did accurately or not.

Last edited:
Ben made a mistake, no doubt. He shouldn’t have said it, and now he’s given Forbes and staff a huge unnecessary and unwanted headache.

That being said, this is such a little snowflakes reaction. Like wtf, it’s not about you! It’s about the pathetic class that Paint Touches put together. I actually like Marcus’ game, and Id bet Forbes does too. The fact of the matter is that he’s not a massive loss. We can move on w/o him. We’ll find other players. This was a message towards us fans to remain calm, and don’t overreact to the decommitments. Instead, a couple of recruits saw it, and they overreacted because of it.

On the bright side, maybe Sutton will throw some more money at Forbes and the basketball program for the trouble.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k21 – Watson released from NLI; Adams = 2020 class

Now Forbes has to do damage control because of a big donor's tweet. You just don't go on Twitter and insult recruits. It's a bad look.

Saying a class was at the bottom of the ACC and insulting recruits is a lot different IMO. If he tweeted - “Brandon Weston and Marcus Watson are not ACC caliber players” then I would understand the reaction, but he literally just stated a fact. I read the tweet more like - “Losing a few players in the process of getting a new coach is normal, but the core we do have is solid”.

FWIW, Shah liked the tweet as well, so doubt Forbes and Currie are do anything to piss off either of them. I think Watson was upset about the issue at Wake and shared that with the Weston’s. There’s no reason for this uproar from their families at this tweet alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back