• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BCS

If the BCS is sold under the guise of the regular season being a playoff, there should be no rematches. As it is, Alabama is most likely the 2nd best team in the country, but we have no way of knowing. It's all bullshit.

I agree with this statement, but it leads to the counterargument, "So when the two best teams in the country play in regular season, one has to live as the third best team in the country?"

If the BCS is sold under the guise of the regular season being a playoff, there should be no rematches. As it is, Alabama is most likely the 2nd best team in the country, but we have no way of knowing. It's all bullshit.

I've always thought the regular-season-is-a-playoff argument sucks. I won't defend it or the BCS. I'm pro-playoff; I think our current system is terrible. That's one tier of the discussion. The other is deciding who gets to play LSU under the current system, and I think that answer is Alabama.

I've always thought the regular-season-is-a-playoff argument sucks. I won't defend it or the BCS. I'm pro-playoff; I think our current system is terrible. That's one tier of the discussion. The other is deciding who gets to play LSU under the current system, and I think that answer is Alabama.

I bet Deac-in-Stanford has a different opinion.

I bet Deac-in-Stanford has a different opinion.

Probably, as do DeacinStillwater and DeacinBlacksburg. It's my opinion, and I'm not trying to pass it off as fact. However, my suspicion is that more pollsters share my opinion than those other Deacs.

Let's please stop talking about Stanford. It's not realistic and it's a waste of bandwidth.

I would actually say OK ST if they win the B12. The night they lost was right after the women's basketball coach and his assistant died in a plane crash.

The deserve a do-over more than a team that had their destiny in their own hands at home and blew it.

In a non-playoff suituation, if you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve to play for the national championship. I think it shoudl be just that simple.

EDIT: Some of us have lived this before. After the greatest college basketball of all -time, the NCAA was forced to expand The NCAA Tourney. Maybe this will lead to a football playoff.

They lost to fucking IOWA STATE.

That's all that has to be said.

And if the two best teams happen to be in the same conference, that isn't their fault.

What possible reason should we believe that Alabama can win on a neutral site? So why even play the game?

Alabama had 7 possessions inside LSU's 30 yardline and scored 6 points. That is evidence of offensive ineptness and LSU's great defense, yes, but to leave that many points on the table and lose in OT makes it somewhat clear that they could easily give LSU a game if they played again, even on a neutral field. Not saying they would win, but it is certainly possible.

Alabama had 7 possessions inside LSU's 30 yardline and scored 6 points. That is evidence of offensive ineptness and LSU's great defense, yes, but to leave that many points on the table and lose in OT makes it somewhat clear that they could easily give LSU a game if they played again, even on a neutral field. Not saying they would win, but it is certainly possible.

Do we get to analyze how well other teams did in their losses? Because I haven't heard others going into that.

Alabama lost in OT to LSU

Oklahoma State lost in OT to IOWA STATE

Anybody arguing that the Pokes should be playing over Alabama should immediately kill themselves. There is no way that someone that fucking stupid should be allowed to breath the same air as me.

@ DeacFreak: Obviously. The result of the game and who played are clearly factors in determining a team's worth.

Do we get to analyze how well other teams did in their losses? Because I haven't heard others going into that.

And you asked what possible reason people had to believe that Alabama would give LSU a game, which is what I responded to. I think the nature of the game itself answers that question.

What possible reason should we believe that Alabama can win on a neutral site? So why even play the game?

I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

If you legitimately believe that Alabama has no chance to win a rematch, then I don't think I can convince you. I could cite examples of teams going 1-1 against each other - even in the same season, or I can reference lots of stats from the game that illustrate how close it was. Honestly though, if you haven't already figured those things out, then nothing I say will make a difference.

Alabama lost in OT to LSU

Oklahoma State lost in OT to IOWA STATE

Anybody arguing that the Pokes should be playing over Alabama should immediately kill themselves. There is no way that someone that fucking stupid should be allowed to breath the same air as me.

I'm arguing that the system is really really stupid, and why bother even playing the game?

Probably, as do DeacinStillwater and DeacinBlacksburg. It's my opinion, and I'm not trying to pass it off as fact. However, my suspicion is that more pollsters share my opinion than those other Deacs.

DeacinStillwater is wrong. Don't take a late loss to an unranked team. Sit down, DeacinStillwater, sit down.

DeacinBlacksburg is right on paper....but WAY wrong on grass. (although he might be on grass himself; can't rule that out).

ugh, what a nightmare last night was. Stoops needs to clean house and maybe fire himself. Venables is such a joke as a DC. Patton the OL coach needs to go too, though not because of last night. Why Stoops thought it was a good idea to go for two and then try to get the ball back is beyond me. I had about 10 beers by then and even my drunk ass knew that didn't make sense.

Anyway, it's gonna be LSU and Bama for all the marbles.

Back