• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BCS

How messed up is the current system in College Football that Alabama is better off if another team wins their SEC division?

I can see the logic, but that's not the reality of the system.

Hypothetically, if OU beats OSU, Clemson wins the SEC, and UGA beats LSU to win the SEC, then who should play in the BCSCG? Let's assume that only conference champions are eligible.

That leaves UGA, Clemson, the Big East champion, Oregon, Oklahoma, Boise State, and the Big Ten champion to play for the title. All of those teams would have at least two losses, save Boise State. Meanwhile, there's the potential for 1-loss Alabama and LSU teams to be left on the outside looking in.

The best argument left on the table---under the current, very broken system---belongs to Virginia Tech.

How messed up is the current system in College Football that Alabama is better off if another team wins their SEC division?

Ha, yeah I was thinking this earlier. Product of fortuitous circumstances this year I guess (assuming they don't lose @ Auburn).

Someone mark this argument in case UGA beats LSU in ATL.

That's fine. Georgia's had a nice run, but is beating average opponents by not very large margins. I'm more worried about Georgia beating Georgia Tech right now than LSU. However, if Georgia wins the SEC, I'm going to be laughing my ass off. I'll also be shaking my head over the number of times the Dawgs turned the ball over against USC in the second game of the season and gave their offense a short field to work with.

ETA: Georgia's two losses were to #5 BSU and #12 USC, which are better than a loss to Iowa State or Texas Tech any day of the week, and arguably Baylor and/or the other USC too.

Last edited:
The best argument left on the table---under the current, very broken system---belongs to Virginia Tech.

Meant to type ACC next to Clemson, obviously. Will edit.

And Virginia Tech isn't eligible under this construct, because they wouldn't have won their conference.

And Virginia Tech isn't eligible under this construct, because they wouldn't have won their conference.

But if they beat UVA and Clemson, they will have won their conference and their only loss will be to Clemson, while Clemson was ranked 13th.

The point is for the two best teams in college football to play.

I think you would be hard pressed into making an argument that Bama on a neutral field is not better than anyone that you've run out there. I am pretty sure you can make an argument that OK State "controlled its own destiny" but blew it @ Iowa State, unless you're trying to say losing @ Iowa State is better than losing by three versus LSU.

I understand the sentiment of people not wanting an all-SEC bowl game, but the job of the computers is to put the two best teams on the field, and they happen to be in the SEC right now.

A computer should NEVER decide who should play for a sports championship.

Bama, substance is, Bama had their chance to beat LSU and didn't. If therfe isn't a playoff someone else should get a chance.

I know, just picking you up.

I am looking at the current BCS rankings. In a stilted way, they've got the best argument left. You know your system is broken when...

[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

OK, how about the voters and people who watch football deciding that Alabama is the second best team in the country?

[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Bama, substance is, Bama had their chance to beat LSU and didn't. If therfe isn't a playoff someone else should get a chance.

The computer is 1/3 of the equation. The polls are going to rank LSU and Alabama one and two as well.

You're repeating the same thing over and over.

But if they beat UVA and Clemson, they will have won their conference and their only loss will be to Clemson, while Clemson was ranked 13th.

Yeah, but I laid out a specific scenario in my post on the last page in which Clemson wins the ACC. I was only considering possibilities within that context.

Plenty of other teams had plenty of chances to get in the game and they all fucked it up. Why should Alabama be disqualified just because their loss happens to be against the team they'd be playing?

Plenty of other teams had plenty of chances to get in the game and they all fucked it up. Why should Alabama be disqualified just because their loss happens to be against the team they'd be playing?

Simplified version of what I'm saying.

The computer is 1/3 of the equation. The polls are going to rank LSU and Alabama one and two as well.

You're repeating the same thing over and over.

How much clearer do I need to get? It shouldn't be about polls or computers. The only legitimate way to do it is a playoff.

Anything else is a WWE option.

What is the point of playing the game. Give Alabama a participation trophy, and crown LSU the champ. It is just as arbitrary as playing the game. Stupid system.

A playoff would have been so awesome this year. How does the BCS still exist.

If you're taking the stance that only conference champions should play in the BCSCG, then fine. I can't really argue with that. It's not the reality of the system, but I can't argue with it.

I just don't think the character of the LSU/Bama game should be a factor. People don't want to see that rematch, in part, because it was a boring game dominated by the defenses. I feel like people would be more amenable to a rematch if the score had been 38-35, which is fine if you're a fan and want to see offensive football. I just hope people realize that a pollster shouldn't take that into consideration if that pollster is charged with choosing the two "best" teams.

If you're taking the stance that only conference champions should play in the BCSCG, then fine. I can't really argue with that. It's not the reality of the system, but I can't argue with it.

I just don't think the character of the LSU/Bama game should be a factor. People don't want to see that rematch, in part, because it was a boring game dominated by the defenses. I feel like people would be more amenable to a rematch if the score had been 38-35, which is fine if you're a fan and want to see offensive football. I just hope people realize that a pollster shouldn't take that into consideration if that pollster is charged with choosing the two "best" teams.

If the BCS is sold under the guise of the regular season being a playoff, there should be no rematches. As it is, Alabama is most likely the 2nd best team in the country, but we have no way of knowing. It's all bullshit.

How much clearer do I need to get? It shouldn't be about polls or computers. The only legitimate way to do it is a playoff.

There's not a playoff and there's no reason to bring it up in this thread. It has nothing to do with who plays in the BCS Championship Game. I think everyone realizes that a playoff is a better system.

Agreed that a play-off is preferable, but polls/humans will always be a part of it. If it's an 8-team play-off, then the 9th ranked team will cry foul. Just like the 38th team looking for an NCAAT at-large bid does. A play-off just moves the human error further down the rankings, which is preferable because the 9th best team is supposedly much less likely to win the title than the 3rd best.

Back