• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BERNIE

Do you regret being a bleeding heart for like 60 years?

I thought I was doing the right thing by trying to help people. It just hasn't worked out very well in some areas. Sometimes things done with the best of intentions don't end up with the best intended results.

Not sure what I'm supposed to parody-ing. The whole point is that the US needs to lead on Climate Change, not be throwing snow balls around the senate and pretending the problem doesn't exist. The Dems need to take a very strong stance on this issue domestically and internationally because the Pubs are an embarrassing joke. Our kids, and our kids' kids are already so completely fucked by this problem, and our world leaders are sitting around looking at each other to see who is going to go first and worried about how the stock market will react next week. Mean while up to 8 feet of sea level rise is expected in the next 84 years, "So long Florida, we're sorry, but we were waiting for China to do something."

You don't even have to believe it's human caused, or that it's happening at all, but ask you self, how much you are willing to risk for that belief. Is relocating Manhattan, Miami, and Houston worth the risk, especially when 97% of climate scientists say your belief is wrong?

I wish I would be alive in 84 years so that I could bet my life savings vs yours that the sea level rise would be closer to 8" than 8'. It is possible that one of these ridiculous predictions is accurate, but history is not on your side. Inconvenient truth.

I wish I would be alive in 84 years so that I could bet my life savings vs yours that the sea level rise would be closer to 8" than 8'. It is possible that one of these ridiculous predictions is accurate, but history is not on your side. Inconvenient truth.

Could you explain?

Most people like free stuff when they are on the receiving end, rather than the paying end. On this board, those people are called Millennial Democrats. That has pretty much been the story of their life to date.

Fuck you, old man. I've paid well into 5 figures on social security, received nothing directly from the program, and favor expansion of it.

You know somebody is flustered when they come up with some nonsensical putdown.

It was just an offhand comment. Don't take it so personally.

Last edited:
I wouldn't scoff at the "5 figures" statement. I've been working over 20 years and I just hit 6 figures paid in.
But keep in mind my employers have also pitched in 6 figures on my behalf.
And that total has been accruing interest or however the gov't manages that money.
It's more base money than is in my Roth that I've been maxing every year and that's a nice sum now.

Fuck you, old man. I've paid well into 5 figures on social security, received nothing directly from the program, and favor expansion of it.

I'm assuming that you are a 2010 WF grad? Two questions: 1) How much did your WF education cost? 2) Did you pay for it yourself?

You are making the money you are making now so that you can pay that amount into social security in large part due to that WF education.....and while I could be wrong, of course, I'm guessing that a large part or all of that education cost....which has to be very significant for a 2010 WF grad.....was probably paid for by parents or someone else. (If you financed that cost yourself by running up a six-figure loan debt that's another whole story and, in which case, your social security expenses are the least of your problems.)

Also, if you are a 2010 grad, you must be around 28 years old. Do you not understand how the SS program is designed to work? It is not designed to pay current benefits to healthy, working 28-year old people. However, either you or your wife & children could begin receiving benefits at that age if you became disabled or died at a premature age. Otherwise, you would receive lifetime benefits to supplement your retirement at a later age (and your wife would continue to receive benefits after your death as long as she lived).

Last edited:
I'm assuming that you are a 2010 WF grad? Two questions: 1) How much did your WF education cost? 2) Did you pay for it yourself?

You are making the money you are making now so that you can pay that amount into social security in large part due to that WF education.....and while I could be wrong, of course, I'm guessing that a large part or all of that education cost....which has to be very significant for a 2010 WF grad.....was probably paid for by parents or someone else. (If you financed that cost yourself by running up a six-figure loan debt that's another whole story and, in which case, your social security expenses are the least of your problems.)

Also, if you are a 2010 grad, you must be around 28 years old. Do you not understand how the SS program is designed to work? It is not designed to pay current benefits to healthy, working 28-year old people. However, either you or your wife & children could begin receiving benefits at that age if you became disabled or died at a premature age. Otherwise, you would receive lifetime benefits to supplement your retirement at a later age (and your wife would continue to receive benefits after your death as long as she lived).

Yes, exactly. I favor a bunch of expanded government programs and involvement in structuring the economy not out of immediate self-interest but because it's solidarity and solidarity is good.

Which is obviously quite different than your characterization a couple posts up.

I wouldn't scoff at the "5 figures" statement. I've been working over 20 years and I just hit 6 figures paid in.
But keep in mind my employers have also pitched in 6 figures on my behalf.
And that total has been accruing interest or however the gov't manages that money.
It's more base money than is in my Roth that I've been maxing every year and that's a nice sum now.

I was just being a smart ass. I am in the same boat as you are. My contribution for SS alone will pass $100,000 this year. My employers are just over $100K. Another $60K combined for Medicare.

I mean it's funny to laugh at the five figure thing because you can almost hit that in a year. The free stuff for the sake of free stuff is just as bad as no support at all. Like take free college for anyone making less than 125000, we don't need more people that shouldn't go to college and that just encourages more people that shouldn't sniff a college going to some school that shouldn't even exist, never graduating or taking 8 years to graduate.

Which state universities "shouldn't exist"? That's what the concept is about. It's not about paying for people to go to for profit schools or non-state schools. But don't be bothered by the truth.

There are a large number of people that shouldn't go to all universities that includes state schools. To not realize that and not have a plan to address that is a problem. Take UNC pembroke with average SAT of less than 1000. Go through graduation rates from public universities (4 years) by state, which state would you like do you want where you live with 33.6% graduation rates in 4 years, and 64% in 6 years, money well spent I'd say for the other non graduating 36%.

bWNmAwR.png

I mean it's funny to laugh at the five figure thing because you can almost hit that in a year. The free stuff for the sake of free stuff is just as bad as no support at all. Like take free college for anyone making less than 125000, we don't need more people that shouldn't go to college and that just encourages more people that shouldn't sniff a college going to some school that shouldn't even exist, never graduating or taking 8 years to graduate.

How about we make community colleges and two-year "craft" schools, and then actually foster people that want to do that in middle school and high school. Not everybody needs/wants/should go to a 4-year school.

Back