• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden

What's the real issue with immigration again ?
That we have an extreme shortage of basically every trade, crop picking, teaching, manufacturing, and human service career in this country, and instead of accepting this desperate and willing workforce of immigrants and asylum seekers into our country to help improve it, we are turning them away and bitching about no one wanting to work and useless college degrees.

The two best things we could do for the “crisis” at the border is end the war on drugs and reverse climate change in Central America. So Biden ending new oil leases on public lands is actually a long-game border control policy.

Yes, educate this dumb old man who is so easily lead around by others. Born yesterday, knows little, cares less.
That smug, better than thou attitude is why so many individuals, many over 50 turn easily away from those who you support and defend.
You could look at the online visualizations of historical Census data, too, if you want.

I actually think that you're being the smug, holier than thou person in this interaction.

There is a lot of data that disproves the claims you're making about the volume of migration from eastern and southern Europe in the period between the late 19th Century and WW2.

I move for a graduated gas price based on the efficiency of your vehicle.

If you get more than 30mpg on the highway, you get $2/gal off at the pump.
Well my registration had an upcharge because my Pontiac is so fuel efficient that I was depriving the state of road finds, so we kind of went the other way on that in Virginia.

I don't think anybody is trying to be a smug asshole just for the sake of being a smug asshole (at least in this situation).

It would be nice though if we could use facts, stats, and research to back up our statements instead of just parroting talking points

Yes, educate this dumb old man who is so easily lead around by others. Born yesterday, knows little, cares less.
That smug, better than thou attitude is why so many individuals, many over 50 turn easily away from those who you support and defend.
The only smug attitude is the one where you are refusing to do even the most basic research on the topic and then acting indignant when your positions are questioned. I think you can probably understand why people become frustrated when you a) make a statement, b) it's countered with another statement that there are scads of research disproving the claim, and c) your response is to become offended and call others smug.

If you refuse to support any of the claims you're making but want to continue the debate it is not the responsibility of others to educate you on the topic.

Well my registration had an upcharge because my Pontiac is so fuel efficient that I was depriving the state of road finds, so we kind of went the other way on that in Virginia.
FL is doing that too. There is an extra registration fee for hybrids and eclectic vehicle to make up for lost gas tax revenues.

And I, personally, loathe the talking point of someone's ancestors being immigrants like 100 years ago.

My grandparents immigrated here too from Italy. They didn't tell anyone they were coming. They bought boat tickets, rolled up in NY, and bingo, bango, bongo they were good to go.

They weren't thrown in cages, separated from their families, or loaded onto a plane to Martha's Vineyard as a part of some political stunt.

At it's most fundamental level, my grandparents, and I'm assuming yours too, did nothing different from the families showing up at the southern border now.

The only smug attitude is the one where you are refusing to do even the most basic research on the topic and then acting indignant when your positions are questioned. I think you can probably understand why people become frustrated when you a) make a statement, b) it's countered with another statement that there are scads of research disproving the claim, and c) your response is to become offended and call others smug.

If you refuse to support any of the claims you're making but want to continue the debate it is not the responsibility of others to educate you on the topic.
Right, this Pops' MO in the tunnels though. He stops by, makes a few claims about how Biden is failing at some issue, then a lot of us respond with facts and data showing that Biden is not actually failing. Pops get increasingly agitated then he declares that this place is a left-wing safe space with no room of debate or alternative opinions and leaves in a huff for a few weeks before coming back with a new issue.

Surely pops takes time to analyze the responses and considers how the new information affects his previously held opinions.

Not sure why this bothers you. States get a very large amount of their funding for highways from the state gas tax. If driver buy less gas, there's less money available for roads. He still drives on the road. He should pay his share.

Note, this is not an argument for or against greater fuel economy.

And I, personally, loathe the talking point of someone's ancestors being immigrants like 100 years ago.

My grandparents immigrated here too from Italy. They didn't tell anyone they were coming. They bought boat tickets, rolled up in NY, and bingo, bango, bongo they were good to go.

They weren't thrown in cages, separated from their families, or loaded onto a plane to Martha's Vineyard as a part of some political stunt.

At it's most fundamental level, my grandparents, and I'm assuming yours too, did nothing different from the families showing up at the southern border now.
We actually had open borders until 1924 (unless you were Chinese)

There were 2 billion people on the planet in 1924 and most of them couldn't get to the United States if they tried.

To combat high mpg vehicles, we should set $1 - 2 per gallon higher price for large vehicles over a certain weight.

Escallade... Yukon!

Back