• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden

To combat high mpg vehicles, we should set $1 - 2 per gallon higher price for large vehicles over a certain weight.

Escallade... Yukon!
I've got a Toyota Sienna, but it gets 34mpg. I guess my gas stays the same?

Not sure why this bothers you. States get a very large amount of their funding for highways from the state gas tax. If driver buy less gas, there's less money available for roads. He still drives on the road. He should pay his share.

Note, this is not an argument for or against greater fuel economy.
Because it’s a regressive flat tax which is fucking ridiculous and discourages fuel
efficient vehicles to the benefit of inefficient vehicles.

@DeacsPop

In the spirit of discourse and good faith, here is a really interesting history of border control politics in the United States:

Amazon product

If you PM me where you live, then I can see if I can find a copy in a library nearby.

i lived in border states for most of the last 12 years and never saw the invasion of the killer immigrants. It’s funny how there’s always a caravan on the way but then … nothing happens. Did meet some very cool and hard working people who would bring me food and invite me to their kids birthday parties. The ‘crisis at the border’ is mostly media driven in my opinion and the only crude and nasty people I met were people whining about it when it had little to no material negative impact on their actual lives — in fact, business love the labor, service wouldn’t be the same without it

Because it’s a regressive flat tax which is fucking ridiculous and discourages fuel
efficient vehicles to the benefit of inefficient vehicles.

Part of the cost of owning a car is paying to maintain the roads. That's why it's generally tied to fuel sales. If fuel sales are going to continue to decline, either the tax has to go way up or be collected by an alternate method.

Part of the cost of owning a car is paying to maintain the roads. That's why it's generally tied to fuel sales. If fuel sales are going to continue to decline, either the tax has to go way up or be collected by an alternate method.
So heavier vehicles should pay more because they are doing more damage to the roads.

Something being tied to fuel sales is different than it being a flat tax. Tolls pay for road maintenance and obviously they aren’t flat - the more you drive the more you pay. The tax rate absolutely shouldn’t be projected based on a maximum fuel efficiency, if anything it should go the opposite way. Heavier less fuel efficient vehicles assuredly cause more road damage and drive more maintenance costs.

So heavier vehicles should pay more because they are doing more damage to the roads.
I think a fair number of states try to capture this in annual registration fees that have a weight component to them (but I'm pretty sure more are just a flat fee or tied to the price/value of the car).

I think a fair number of states try to capture this in annual registration fees that have a weight component to them (but I'm pretty sure more are just a flat fee or tied to the price/value of the car).
Isn’t that why so many people with big trucks or suvs just lie and register it as a farm vehicle to get the tax break.

Last edited:
Farm vehicles are exempt from registration. If you're out on I-40 doing 70 in a new Yukon, you're breaking the law.

There is a federal tax break for large vehicles used for business purposes, so if you register your Yukon in your business's LLC, you can get a writeoff. But it is capped and you have to keep records of your actual business usage. Commuting is not included. You're really asking the IRS to come fuck with you if you take the writeoff, legally or not.

Farm vehicles are exempt from registration. If you're out on I-40 doing 70 in a new Yukon, you're breaking the law.
Tbf it’s mostly jacked up coal rollers that I see with the bullshit farm tags, but they ain’t on the farm.

Back