• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten makes offer to UNC and UVA rumor

deaconpirate

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the big ten expansion.

Will this be the death of the ACC?

Should we blow the next 10 years of athletic budget to hire the best coach possible so that we can sweep our in state rivals in our final season as fellow conference members?

........But seriously do you think UNC or UVA/GT would leave the ACC or is there no validity to these rumors?

UNC is not going anywhere. If the ACC did fall apart it would be a disaster for Wake- the other schools are at least somewhat desirable to the big conferences, but we bring nothing to the table. And that's not LOWF talking, that's reality. Our AD would have to learn to make do with a lot less money. Also, I wonder if part of this could be an effort to get MD out of having to pay the exit fee? But anyway, it's not gonna happen. MD is gonna have to pay and UNC is not leaving. I hope.

Just curious as to others thoughts. There seem to be several articles circulating around on the internet regarding how the big ten would add stability and unless they want to take Cincy, UCONN or South Florida from whatever the Big East football schools will be called the ACC seems like the place they would go. Maybe I am just buying into too many rumors.

ps sorry missed those previous threads

That doesn't mean UNC and UVa would go. Think about it like this. If the Big Ten was poaching ACC teams, would MD be their first choice?

MD bit on a deal. Now if the ACC falls apart, UNC and UVa would probably reconsider a Big Ten offer, but as of now, they're probably fine.

That doesn't mean UNC and UVa would go. Think about it like this. If the Big Ten was poaching ACC teams, would MD be their first choice?

MD bit on a deal. Now if the ACC falls apart, UNC and UVa would probably reconsider a Big Ten offer, but as of now, they're probably fine.

I suspect Jdawg, RHBT(whatever letters), etc. will be along shortly to defend the honor of their beloved Maryland.

In the meantime, doesn't matter, got paid.

If the Big Ten offered UNC and Duke I wonder if this would be more likely to happen, so that UNC could maintain the Duke rivalry? Then MD fans could go back to having their Duke rivalry as well. If UNC were to leave I think things would quickly far apart with other schools looking to exit- Clemson and FSU would bolt for the SEC.

Last edited:
UNC and UVA aren't going anywhere unless a gun is forced inside their mouth, which isn't even close to happening. And it wouldn't be to the Big 10, either, IMO. But both schools would rather vomit on themselves than become a mid-level member of another conference. These are some of the silliest rumors on the Internet today.

Long story as-short-as-possible: Louisville made the southern ACC trio happy, killing the Big 12 threat, which all but killed the threat to the ACC. The SEC, Big 10, and PAC12 all want the same things: a pick of the Kansas, OK, and Texas markets. The conference that is doomed is the Big 12. Geographically, they're the territory all three conferences surrounding it prefer. The SEC can't eat the ACC because of internal resistance, and the PAC 12 is too far. The Big 12 makes no sense for any ACC school with the ACC itself as a viable continuing option, as the ACC southern trio has figured out. Same with the Big 10, to a lesser extent, who aren't looking for that wide a geographic footprint anyway. They only took MD to shore up Penn State.

When you hear rumors of any ACC school south of DC joining the Big 10, laugh. Not going to happen.

These rumors have been circulating for years let it die it is not happening.

If the Big Ten offered UNC and Duke I wonder if this would be more likely to happen, so that UNC could maintain the Duke rivalry? Then MD fans could go back to having their Duke rivalry as well. If UNC were to leave I think things would quickly far apart with other schools looking to exit- Clemson and FSU would bolt for the SEC.

Regardless of what happens to the ACC, Clemson and FSU are not getting an invite to the SEC. USC and UFL will see to that.

I think if UNC was to ever leave it would be for the big money of the SEC and their football. SEC already has some decent teams namely UK and Fla in the fold, but if you are going to turn your back on family, it will be for the most cash.

That being said, it will not happen anytime soon.

I think if UNC was to ever leave it would be for the big money of the SEC and their football. SEC already has some decent teams namely UK and Fla in the fold, but if you are going to turn your back on family, it will be for the most cash.

That being said, it will not happen anytime soon.

The Big Ten currently pays out more money per team than the SEC. Key word: currently

But I don't think UNC wouldn't be moving for money in the first place, at least as the main reason.

The Big Ten currently pays out more money per team than the SEC. Key word: currently

But I don't think UNC wouldn't be moving for money in the first place, at least as the main reason.

You've also tried to argue that MD didn't move for the money. At the end of the day, doesn't matter, got paid.

You've also tried to argue that MD didn't move for the money. At the end of the day, doesn't matter, got paid.

No I haven't, I've just said there are a lot of other pros besides just money. But this isn't about Maryland's move to the Big Ten so quit trying to make it into one like you do with every conference realignment thread.

No I haven't, I've just said there are a lot of other pros besides just money. But this isn't about Maryland's move to the Big Ten so quit trying to make it into one like you do with every conference realignment thread.

You're right. None of the realignment threads have anything to do with Maryland, or WVU. My mistake, the rumors are completely unrelated.

Back