• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten makes offer to UNC and UVA rumor

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/100312aae.html

Men's and Women's Basketball
The ACC will continue to play an 18-game conference schedule with the addition of Notre Dame. The scheduling model will be based on a two-partner format.

Each year, teams will play every league opponent at least once with the two partners playing home and away annually. In addition to the four annual games against partners, the remaining 14 conference games will feature home and away games with two rotating opponents and five home-only games and five road-only games.

The two-primary-partner format preserves competitive balance and builds upon traditional rivalries while providing the opportunity to create new ones.

Boston College - Notre Dame and Syracuse
Clemson - Florida State and Georgia Tech
Duke - North Carolina and Wake Forest
Florida State - Clemson and Miami
Georgia Tech - Clemson and Notre Dame
Maryland - Pitt and Virginia
Miami - Florida State and Virginia Tech
North Carolina - Duke and NC State
NC State - North Carolina and Wake Forest
Notre Dame - Boston College and Georgia Tech
Pitt - Maryland and Syracuse
Syracuse - Boston College and Pitt
Virginia - Maryland and Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech - Miami and Virginia
Wake Forest - Duke and NC State

You're posturizing what it would have been if we hadn't left. I'm saying what it was when we did leave. One is a fact, the other is an assumption. With 16 teams (2013-14's 14 + Notre Dame + Louisville), there wouldn't have been a way to pair up two teams and have an 18 game schedule without a ridiculous rotation only playing one other team besides your rival as a home-and-home. I don't think they would have gone that route but the one that the old Big East took

Watevs. I hate going to Charlottesville anyways, we always lose.

There, I win!

I didnt realize the tv sets in Kansas were so powerful

And the argument used for UNC never leaving the ACC is the same argument people use for Texas and OU never leaving the Big XII. Why would Texas and OU ever leave a conference where they are undoubtedly the top dogs?

Obviously Texas and their stupid LHN are at the top of the heap, but you really think Texas will let OU walk after watching A&M do the same?

Kansas is the perfect fit for the Big 10 in all expansion aspects. They check every expansion box -- geographically linked, good sports, totally new market, appropriate academic profile. The Big 10 will take them eventually, just like they took Nebraska, mark it down. KU fits the footprint perfectly. Don't think TX doesn't know it.

Texas and OU were all packed for the Pac 12 when Nebraska bailed, but managed to cobble together a new Big 12 feudal conference one more time. They stayed because they prefer to be the dominant voice, and always will be in any form of a viable Big 12. When it craters, of course, they'll land wherever they please (likely the Pac 12) because they have that heft. But they were the only reason the Big 12 survived -- by choosing to remain, along with OK, and making it survive. UNC and UVA are in the same boat -- they'll always prefer the ACC to anything else, because it's their sandbox. And they'll always end up okay, because they are good schools with large markets. But the ACC remains stable because they want it to remain stable. They'd be the last ones to fold, not the first, just like TX in the Big 12. The Big 12 was coming apart at the seams two years ago, and TX thought it was being forced to react. But they were able to keep it all together, and so they did. It's the same in the ACC minus the implosion pressure.

Texas can't dictate anything to OK -- whether to walk, not walk, or dance a jig -- though they want to remain partners, obviously. But the only real thing restraining OK is the fate of OSU. If the Big Ten wanted both KS and OK, and those school were agreeable, TX couldn't stop it. TX would just sigh, throw up its hands, and join the Pac 12 or SEC. Or maybe even join the Big 10 too. But I think the Big 10 eventually nabs Kansas, and TX/OU then realize that, this time, it's really done.

Last edited:
The Big 12 is weaker than they were in Nebraska was offered. If the Big Ten wanted Kansas, they could have gotten them.

Just a matter of time, I think. The Big 10 may still have ND/TX or TX/OK dreams.

Back