• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten makes offer to UNC and UVA rumor

Football is driving things, but what you're really saying is money. Conference movement is not about assembling the best football teams in one place -- that's why the SEC isn't really interested in the southern five ACC schools, because those schools don't bring any new markets, which is what's coveted first and foremost. Conference realignment is about grouping markets for the highest revenues per school. The ACC might be fifth on the football playing field, but they are very competitive on those terms. And with the conference's recent moves, they've effectively fire-walled the Atlantic seaboard quite nicely. But I said that in my prior two posts, so I won't repeat it here.

The ACC outlasted the Big East not because it was faster -- after all, Big East schools were the ones ditching that conference for the ACC -- but because it had a larger, more stable football footprint. Which, again, translates to markets, which, again, translates to money. The ACC is set up very well to protect its turf now. If you're looking for the next conference to get cannibalized, it's still going to be the Big 12. They have what the poaching threats want (and can likely get) -- new markets along the spine of the country. Kansas (you think this isn't next on the Big 10 wish list?). Oklahoma (Pac 12, the last piece for the Big 10, hell even the SEC might come calling). Texas (Pac 12 already almost had them once, and the SEC would say yes in heartbeat).

The ACC protects its assets by being financially competitive and geographically isolated (and contiguous). There's going to be a power conference on the East Coast -- there are too many good/schools markets for that not to be the case. The stable NC/VA core makes everything work, and it's not going anywhere. Relax.

Very well put.

btw, you just slipped. All you guys always say the ACC is the premier basketball conference.

No, all us guys don't always say the ACC is the premier basketball conference. The ACC has been down for years (MD and Wake are two reasons for that). The conference is particularly weak this year. I think most board members would readily admit that.

btw, you just slipped. All you guys always say the ACC is the premier basketball conference.

I've most certainly never said that. I think the Big 10 has been the top ranked conference for the past three or four years statistically.

No, all us guys don't always say the ACC is the premier basketball conference. The ACC has been down for years (MD and Wake are two reasons for that). The conference is particularly weak this year. I think most board members would readily admit that.

I also don't admit that the conference is down this year compared to what we've been doing over the past few years. Down compared to what we used to be? Absolutely. Down compared to the Big 10's dominance? Absolutely. But down compared to say last year or two years ago? Not at all. The ACC is the 4th best conference this year statistically and was just passed by the MWC a couple days ago.

Makes no difference. When the new blood comes in the ACC is going to be awesome.

Football is driving things, but what you're really saying is money. Conference movement is not about assembling the best football teams in one place -- that's why the SEC isn't really interested in the southern five ACC schools, because those schools don't bring any new markets, which is what's coveted first and foremost. Conference realignment is about grouping markets for the highest revenues per school. The ACC might be fifth on the football playing field, but they are very competitive on those terms. And with the conference's recent moves, they've effectively fire-walled the Atlantic seaboard quite nicely. But I said that in my prior two posts, so I won't repeat it here.

The ACC outlasted the Big East not because it was faster -- after all, Big East schools were the ones ditching that conference for the ACC -- but because it had a larger, more stable football footprint. Which, again, translates to markets, which, again, translates to money. The ACC is set up very well to protect its turf now. If you're looking for the next conference to get cannibalized, it's still going to be the Big 12. They have what the poaching threats want (and can likely get) -- new markets along the spine of the country. Kansas (you think this isn't next on the Big 10 wish list?). Oklahoma (Pac 12, the last piece for the Big 10, hell even the SEC might come calling). Texas (Pac 12 already almost had them once, and the SEC would say yes in heartbeat).

The ACC protects its assets by being financially competitive and geographically isolated (and contiguous). There's going to be a power conference on the East Coast -- there are too many good/schools markets for that not to be the case. The stable NC/VA core makes everything work, and it's not going anywhere. Relax.
Very well said. I wish we could have gotten Rutgers and Cincy to make it 16. But the merry-go-round isn't finished. The twerps can stick it, and UCONN is screwed because they stuck it to BC in '03. I can see Iowa St and Kansas St going into oblivion with your Big !2 scenerio. Maybe Texas Tech too. We'll be OK.

I definitely don't think it is automatic you just pencil Maryland in at the bottom of football and basketball.

I've most certainly never said that. I think the Big 10 has been the top ranked conference for the past three or four years statistically.

well some of your most vocal people on the topic have said that, sorry for painting a broad brush and applying it to the entire fan base.

it should just all go back to nine.

I don't think Maryland will be at the bottom of the conference in either sport, but I don't foresee them winning any conference championships in football and basketball is going to be pretty damn tough.

correct, as have we. lots of turmoil and turnover. that's exactly my point.

Gotcha. Wake and MD hoops are like twins. You all just capitalized when we didn't. We had the better individual players. You all had better postseason teams.

I didnt realize the tv sets in Kansas were so powerful

And the argument used for UNC never leaving the ACC is the same argument people use for Texas and OU never leaving the Big XII. Why would Texas and OU ever leave a conference where they are undoubtedly the top dogs?

Obviously Texas and their stupid LHN are at the top of the heap, but you really think Texas will let OU walk after watching A&M do the same?

Kansas brings the KC market, is a rival for Nebraska, and is one of the last available AAU members in the Big 10's footprint. They will offer Kansas if the Big 12 shows any sign of weakness.

The Big 12 is weaker than they were in Nebraska was offered. If the Big Ten wanted Kansas, they could have gotten them.

I didnt realize the tv sets in Kansas were so powerful

And the argument used for UNC never leaving the ACC is the same argument people use for Texas and OU never leaving the Big XII. Why would Texas and OU ever leave a conference where they are undoubtedly the top dogs?

Obviously Texas and their stupid LHN are at the top of the heap, but you really think Texas will let OU walk after watching A&M do the same?

Texas is the reason any other Big 12 school would leave. They are insufferable assholes. I do agree that they are basically tethered to OU though. Don't forget they were ready to walk recently, but held out at the 11th hour.

I think the new ACC should have 2 basketball divisions: The Old ACC Division (UVA, WFU, UNC, Duke, NCSU, Clemson, GT and FSU) and the Old Big East Division (UM, VT, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND). Each plays its division foes 2 times home and home and 4 single cross-overs on a rotating basis. The Tournament is held at two sites simultaneously with each division playing a 3 day Tourney Thurs-Sat 1 pm at one of the traditional sites and the Old BE at MSG. The winners of these two mini tourneys then face each other for the new ACC Tourney championship at a neutral site, say ComCast Center so Maryland can see good basketball.

:)

I have no idea where that original post above is, but that would be a good divisional split except Miami just kinda chilling there as a huge outlier. But they're used to that. When they were in the Big East their closest Big East competitor was Virginia Tech. So I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were not only okay with that but preferred that.

Not to rehash this, but....what rivals? We no longer had home-and-homes starting 2013-2014 with Duke and UVA. And lost our UVA 'rivalry' in football as well.

You lost the home and home with Duke in basketball. That's it. In basketball, your yearly home and home opponents would have been UVa and Pitt. UVa was still going to be your cross over game in football.

You lost the home and home with Duke in basketball. That's it. In basketball, your yearly home and home opponents would have been UVa and Pitt. UVa was still going to be your cross over game in football.

Shows how much that 'rivalry' with UVA really means to us! And I'm a bigger football fan than most. We just flat-out don't really have a football rivalry. A lot of us internet nerds hate NC State football more.

and you would be incorrect about basketball. From the ACC press release dated 2/3/12:

Men's and Women's Basketball:
As previously announced, the ACC will play an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-13.

When Pitt and Syracuse join, each school will have one primary partner (Boston College and Syracuse; Clemson and Georgia Tech; Duke and North Carolina; Florida State and Miami; Maryland and Pitt; NC State and Wake Forest; Virginia and Virginia Tech).

The scheduling model will be based on a three-year cycle during which teams will play every league opponent at least once with the primary partners playing home and away annually while the other 12 rotate in groups of four: one year both home and away; one year at home only; and one year away only. Over the course of the three-year cycle primary partners play a total of six times and all other conference opponents play four times.

The format allows each program to see opponents with more regularity and creates an increase in competitive balance throughout the teams. It was determined that all 14 league members will continue to compete in the ACC Men's and Women's Tournaments and a decision on the Tournament formats will be announced at a later date.

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/020312aaa.html

They changed that before you left. It went back to two home and homes. Hence Wake gets NC State and Duke twice a year now.

NC State losing UNC was a big reason it was changed back.

Back