• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Ten makes offer to UNC and UVA rumor

The buyout litigation isn't freezing team movement. Best interests are. As the board lies, UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, GT, and UVA all have the best deal they're going to get, all factors considered, in the ACC. That wasn't true for MD, who needed quick cash to wallpaper past fiscal mistakes, and never really felt the love in the ACC anyway. The irony is, MD's defection, and the subsequent addition of Louisville, is going to be the transaction that guarantees the long-term viability of the ACC.

Football is driving all of this. The ACC is probably the 5th best conference right now in terms of football. They have survived to this point by being quicker on the draw than the Big East, but they are far from "solid".

MD is having buyer's remorse. Last night, Roy indirectly mentioned Mark Turgeon's displeasure about leaving the ACC, and it has become increasingly clear (via West Virginia's experience) that joining a conference with its core far away is really bad for non-revenue sports. Living in DC, the net opinion among MD fans is negative. We shall see how much of a windfall MD actually receives from this move, but in 20 years, I think MD may regret taking this step.

MD right now is likely regretting having taken this step.

They were replaced by Louisville in a heartbeat and it was an upgrade at that!

It's gonna be tough for Maryland to crack the top 4 in the Big 10 based on recent trends

Place they would be in Big 10 over the past few years (based on KenPom rankings)

2013: 9th
2012: 12th
2011: 6th
2010: 3rd
2009: 8th
2008: 7th
2007: 3rd
2006: 8th
2005: 6th
2004: 3rd
2003: 2nd

So Maryland would only have been in the top half of the Big 10 once in the past six years.

Well twice. '10 and '11.

Ah yes, was thinking there were only 11 teams in the conference so 6th would be bottom half, but adding Maryland pushed them to 12 teams in 2011.

Actually it would be 3 because the Big Ten will be a 14 team conference when Maryland and Rutgers join. Either way, your point is that MD has its work cut out for them but probably not that much different than in the ACC.

wtf we would've been third in 2007??? damn, that must've been a down year

besides, the basis of my post was not based on the past but more along the lines of we'd improve over Gary's later years. We've been to the tournament as many times (3) as you since 2005.

Football is driving all of this. The ACC is probably the 5th best conference right now in terms of football. They have survived to this point by being quicker on the draw than the Big East, but they are far from "solid".

Football is driving things, but what you're really saying is money. Conference movement is not about assembling the best football teams in one place -- that's why the SEC isn't really interested in the southern five ACC schools, because those schools don't bring any new markets, which is what's coveted first and foremost. Conference realignment is about grouping markets for the highest revenues per school. The ACC might be fifth on the football playing field, but they are very competitive on those terms. And with the conference's recent moves, they've effectively fire-walled the Atlantic seaboard quite nicely. But I said that in my prior two posts, so I won't repeat it here.

The ACC outlasted the Big East not because it was faster -- after all, Big East schools were the ones ditching that conference for the ACC -- but because it had a larger, more stable football footprint. Which, again, translates to markets, which, again, translates to money. The ACC is set up very well to protect its turf now. If you're looking for the next conference to get cannibalized, it's still going to be the Big 12. They have what the poaching threats want (and can likely get) -- new markets along the spine of the country. Kansas (you think this isn't next on the Big 10 wish list?). Oklahoma (Pac 12, the last piece for the Big 10, hell even the SEC might come calling). Texas (Pac 12 already almost had them once, and the SEC would say yes in heartbeat).

The ACC protects its assets by being financially competitive and geographically isolated (and contiguous). There's going to be a power conference on the East Coast -- there are too many good/schools markets for that not to be the case. The stable NC/VA core makes everything work, and it's not going anywhere. Relax.

Last edited:

besides, the basis of my post was not based on the past but more along the lines of we'd improve over Gary's later years. We've been to the tournament as many times (3) as you since 2005.

Yeah but nobody's arguing we'd finish in the top 4 in the Big 10. Maryland was 10th in KenPom in 2007 even though you went 24-9 and got upset by Butler in the second round.

We've pretty much sucked since then.

I'm not sure I understand. RJ's point was you will struggle to crack the top 4 of the Big 10. What is your point?

correct, as have we. lots of turmoil and turnover. that's exactly my point.

Let's not just assume that Maryland is going to return to the norm of Gary Williams glory years. 7 years is a pretty big sample size of the one and done era. Your school severing it's ties to the east coast is going to negatively affect your recruiting, and having a Big 10 network channel on cable there, possibly, isn't going to help that much.

Last edited:
I think the new ACC should have 2 basketball divisions: The Old ACC Division (UVA, WFU, UNC, Duke, NCSU, Clemson, GT and FSU) and the Old Big East Division (UM, VT, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and ND). Each plays its division foes 2 times home and home and 4 single cross-overs on a rotating basis. The Tournament is held at two sites simultaneously with each division playing a 3 day Tourney Thurs-Sat 1 pm at one of the traditional sites and the Old BE at MSG. The winners of these two mini tourneys then face each other for the new ACC Tourney championship at a neutral site, say ComCast Center so Maryland can see good basketball.

If you are using Wake as your barometer, you don't know how far you've fallen.

In the ACC, you guys aren't the worst in that. We made a list for another purpose and there were like 4 ACC schools that had 3 appearances during that time frame. Clemson, UVA and VT brought up the rear IIRC.

I'm still not sure I understand. So there are a number of teams in the conference who have done poorly in making the tournament, and Maryland is grouped into that category but now you're saying that you will improve in a conference which is better? I'm really not following unless you're not talking about being top 4 in the Big 10 anymore.

I think we'll improve from what we've done recently during the worst stretch since the 60s. You disagree. That's fine.

I'm still not sure I understand. So there are a number of teams in the conference who have done poorly in making the tournament, and Maryland is grouped into that category but now you're saying that you will improve in a conference which is better?

btw, you just slipped. All you guys always say the ACC is the premier basketball conference.

Back