• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Maybe he’s not dead and he just shed his lizardman skin.

The problem with $15 minimum wage is that you only had under 45 votes, not the parliamentarian.

In addition the the two, the NH senators, Coons, and maybe one or two more had hesitations about $15 nationwide.

Hm I seem to remember the parliamentarian ruling it couldn’t be included in reconciliation, not that there weren’t enough votes! Two separate problems though.

Should minimum wage vary depending on an area and its cost of living? Maybe $15/hr works for NYC, but not for WV.

Did we talk about that already?

Many times. It’s more like $15/hr works in WV but not in NY.

Not sure why LA democratic pols are so concerned with protecting the rights of the homeless? Are they an important voting bloc? Get them the hell outta the city and 90% of the city will be thankful.

Hm I seem to remember the parliamentarian ruling it couldn’t be included in reconciliation, not that there weren’t enough votes! Two separate problems though.
I think including $15 minimum wage into that bill would have killed the bill but it certainly would have over the parliamentarian's objections.

All time great “tribute” to Rumfield on The Boondocks.

https://youtu.be/wh8BWGSEzYM

We use that unknown unknowns quote all the time when presenting the types of considerations you need to make when building a predictive ecological model. I’ve got a slide with an angry looking Donald Rumsfeld and a word bubble, but the students these days don’t quite get the reference anymore.

Not sure why LA democratic pols are so concerned with protecting the rights of the homeless? Are they an important voting bloc? Get them the hell outta the city and 90% of the city will be thankful.

yeesh

The Tunnels is getting better at recognizing trolls and it's making palma nervous.

Should minimum wage vary depending on an area and its cost of living? Maybe $15/hr works for NYC, but not for WV.

Did we talk about that already?

Dems want it national to raise the floor everywhere so they don't lose jobs to red states. If they only pass it in States they control they know it will cause jobs to flood to Red States that don't have it. If California is $15/hour and Alabama is $7.25, foreseeable results ensue.

See what happened to the auto jobs that used to be in Michigan/Ohio, that all moved to the South. That didn't work out well for Detroit.

Dems want it national to raise the floor everywhere so they don't lose jobs to red states. If they only pass it in States they control they know it will cause jobs to flood to Red States that don't have it. If California is $15/hour and Alabama is $7.25, foreseeable results ensue.

See what happened to the auto jobs that used to be in Michigan/Ohio, that all moved to the South. That didn't work out well for Detroit.

Yes! All the minimum wage fast food jobs and walmart greeter jobs are going to leave California for Alabama. Angelinos will have to drive 2,012 miles just to get a big mac!

Yes! All the minimum wage fast food jobs and walmart greeter jobs are going to leave California for Alabama. Angelinos will have to drive 2,012 miles just to get a big mac!

The fast food jobs will go away in a $15.00 environment. Labor that can be moved to more sensible states will continue to move.

This is certainly one way to describe the race to the bottom.

The fast food jobs will go away in a $15.00 environment. Labor that can be moved to more sensible states will continue to move.

Every fast food place around me hires at or above $15/hr and they are always busy and hiring a bunch. Not sure they are going anywhere. What am I missing?

California already has a $14 minimum wage, with many cities and municipalities paying well over $15/hr. 9 other states have laws on the books that will raise the minimum wage in coming years to $15. DC is at $15 already, as is NY, and as of today, Chicago.

I can still get Popeye's without any trouble here. No labor shortages. If restaurants close up shop here it isn't because of labor or wages taking up too high a % of their operating costs, it's because developers offer building owners $$$ for their property, 9 times out of 10.

The media does a great job manufacturing consent for the GOP in this regard, or for business owners more specifically, though they make up such a smaller % of the population than do minimum wage workers (of which food service employees are but a small fraction). Running local news stories about how Joe's Crab Shack can't serve up fried dough at the boardwalk this summer is great for whipping locals into a frenzy, but call this labor shortage what it is, a capital strike, refusing to provide livable working conditions to a key component of running their businesses.

I'm far less concerned with franchisees of billion dollar multinationals than I am with smaller shops unable to pay employees a living wage, and I think the govt should do more to support small and medium sized businesses who would have genuine hardship if minimum wage doubled. But give me a break when DonaldRoss and his 19 businesses will struggle to pay a living wage; if he can't, he doesn't need to own all those businesses after all. Maybe work on the margins a little bit! Get a business model where labor isn't such a huge part of your overhead! If productivity has outstripped wage growth for decades, why shouldn't workers expect, after the second financial collapse in a generation, for wages to rise to livable levels?

False bottom.

$0.00 is the bottom, which is what you get paid when the job moves to an economically sustainable market.

Alabama soon to have 100% of the nation's Pizza Huts. jhmd has the story at 10.

Back