• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Conservative doom and gloom about the perils of paying labor fair wages have never come true. Abolitioning slavery didn't lead to economic collapse. Establishing a minimum wage didn't lead to economic collapse. Increasing minimum wage didn't lead to economic collapse.

False bottom.

$0.00 is the bottom, which is what you get paid when the job moves to an economically sustainable market.

Flipside-people aren't dedicating 8 hrs of their life per day in front of a fry cooker for an employer who won't compensate them fairly. I'm sure you're assuming that these people are all off smoking drugs instead, but some of them-especially with unemployment benefits extended-might be raising their kids or finishing their education, which I think are two of your three "policy points."

Dems want it national to raise the floor everywhere so they don't lose jobs to red states. If they only pass it in States they control they know it will cause jobs to flood to Red States that don't have it. If California is $15/hour and Alabama is $7.25, foreseeable results ensue.

See what happened to the auto jobs that used to be in Michigan/Ohio, that all moved to the South. That didn't work out well for Detroit.

what do you make of the fact that the south has most of the poorest states in the country, low economic opportunity for its residents, and does poorly compared to other states in virtually every quality-of-life metric?

what do you make of the fact that the south has most of the poorest states in the country, low economic opportunity for its residents, and does poorly compared to other states in virtually every quality-of-life metric?

An entire State's economy is multifactorial and I won't say that having market forces set labor prices is a cure-all, but red states gaining jobs shed by blue states are better off with those jobs than they are without them. The people who lost those jobs in blue states are worse off then when they had good paying jobs.

An entire State's economy is multifactorial and I won't say that having market forces set labor prices is a cure-all, but red states gaining jobs shed by blue states are better off with those jobs than they are without them. The people who lost those jobs in blue states are worse off then when they had good paying jobs.

But those jobs left because they didn't want to be good paying jobs.

if the free market is not the cure-all for wages, what are some things you think should supplement the removal of the minimum wage to aid in the economic advancement of our nation's poorest states?

Conservative doom and gloom about the perils of paying labor fair wages have never come true. Abolitioning slavery didn't lead to economic collapse. Establishing a minimum wage didn't lead to economic collapse. Increasing minimum wage didn't lead to economic collapse.

Conservative doom and gloom about everything is their jam. You better be scared of x and the GOP will save you from the boogyman.

Ironic thing is the GOP don't give a shit about saving anybody from anything except their own power and rich people's money.

if the free market is not the cure-all for wages, what are some things you think should supplement the removal of the minimum wage to aid in the economic advancement of our nation's poorest states?

This pod is the best explainer for the differences between each party's approach to solving poverty. While I'm sure it will play to rave reviews here, this is the other argument:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...peaker-paul-ryan/id1498149200?i=1000523433837

Cliffs: FFWD to 20:00 minute mark and give it 15 minutes. EITC and designing programs that measure outcomes rather than input. The benefit cliffs of many entitlement programs create reverse incentives to stay in poverty. EITC will remove the disincentives to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
two. both my wife and i can trace two parent households back a couple hundred years so my kids are lucky. does that make you happy? good, let's move on.

the questions, that you won't answer because you are dumb, a troll, or both, are

- for those who have a single parent, or even worse, no parents, is it simply due to character or is there something in our history that has contributed to this?
- if it's due to character how do you fix it?
- if it's systemic how do you fix it?

This pod is the best explainer for the differences between each party's approach to solving poverty. While I'm sure it will play to rave reviews here, this is the other argument:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...peaker-paul-ryan/id1498149200?i=1000523433837

Cliffs: FFWD to 20:00 minute mark and give it 15 minutes. EITC and designing programs that measure outcomes rather than input. The benefit cliffs of many entitlement programs create reverse incentives to stay in poverty. EITC will remove the disincentives to work.

I will give you that Paul Ryan is being interviewed by a sitting Republican member of Congress, but I am of the impression that Ryan and his ilk are, for the most part, unwelcome in today's Republican Party. After all, for the most part, what Trump says goes in the party, and here is what he had to say about Ryan just a little over a month ago:

“Paul Ryan has been a curse to the Republican Party,” the former president said in a statement Friday morning. “He has no clue as to what needs to be done for our country, was a weak and ineffective leader, and spends all of his time fighting Republicans as opposed to Democrats who are destroying our country.”

Trump also dismissed Ryan as a Republican-in-name-only and said he does “nothing for our forward-surging Republican Party!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d41b7a-bf0d-11eb-b26e-53663e6be6ff_story.html

no no no. the party is in the process of pivoting away from trump. haven't you been following the news?

Back