• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

two. both my wife and i can trace two parent households back a couple hundred years so my kids are lucky. does that make you happy? good, let's move on.

the questions, that you won't answer because you are dumb, a troll, or both, are

- for those who have a single parent, or even worse, no parents, is it simply due to character or is there something in our history that has contributed to this?
- if it's due to character how do you fix it?
- if it's systemic how do you fix it?

- for those who have a single parent, or even worse, no parents, is it simply due to character or is there something in our history that has contributed to this?
Answer: We cannot change history. What's done is unquestionably done. We can of course change the present, including laws and policies that perpetuate it. Like those that financially subsidize this manifestly self-destructive behavior.
Answer: It's not a character issue.

Answer: You tell the truth about how destructive this choice is, rather than enabling it with policies that reward it on the margin. It's the difference between helping people survive in poverty versus helping them rise out of it. Paying people to stay in poverty works. We should instead pay people more to rise out of it. The EITC is one example of how.

Answer: We cannot change history. What's done is unquestionably done. We can of course change the present, including laws and policies that perpetuate it. Like those that financially subsidize this manifestly self-destructive behavior.

Answer: You tell the truth about how destructive this choice is, rather than enabling it with policies that reward it on the margin. It's the difference between helping people survive in poverty versus helping them rise out of it. Paying people to stay in poverty works. We should instead pay people more to rise out of it. The EITC is one example of how.

Pay more people to rise out of it: how, then, do you get businesses to just pay more? people are realizing that, coming out of the pandemic, they don't want to work shitty front-line jobs that pay below a living wage and employers seem flabbergasted.

what laws and policies do you think reward poverty?

When all you have for specific policy ideas is platitudes paraphrased from like Reagan speeches it’s no wonder folks don’t take your party seriously. Especially since your party only really believes the removal of benefits part and they mostly don’t even try to hide it anymore.

This pod is the best explainer for the differences between each party's approach to solving poverty. While I'm sure it will play to rave reviews here, this is the other argument:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...peaker-paul-ryan/id1498149200?i=1000523433837

Cliffs: FFWD to 20:00 minute mark and give it 15 minutes. EITC and designing programs that measure outcomes rather than input. The benefit cliffs of many entitlement programs create reverse incentives to stay in poverty. EITC will remove the disincentives to work.

I listened to 9 minutes of the segment you suggested and I heard a lot of expression of belief and no presentation of data to support those beliefs. I completely agree with the notion of results driven policy and using the results of a program to determine its effectiveness. But there aren’t any data yet from the “evidence act” that would point to some sort of policy shift on poverty programs. Ryan said over and over again, “I’m a conservative and I believe…” not “the data show…”

Maybe Milhouse is right.

We're actively paying people not to work right now (during a labor shortage). How do we think that's going to end?

it's going to hopefully end with business realizing they pay shitty wages and should up their salaries to attract workers. I went to Taco Bell last night and they were advertising starting salaries at $12 an hour when the living wage in Asheville is around $1.

We're actively paying people not to work right now (during a labor shortage). How do we think that's going to end?
It's ending as we speak as people are transitioning back into jobs as their unemployment benefits are going to expire in a couple of months.

It's ending as we speak as people are transitioning back into jobs as their unemployment benefits are going to expire in a couple of months.

Yeah, and some of them have realized they're about to get evicted if they don't start paying rent because those evil landlords have bills to pay to maintain their living quarters.

two. both my wife and i can trace two parent households back a couple hundred years so my kids are lucky. does that make you happy? good, let's move on.

the questions, that you won't answer because you are dumb, a troll, or both, are

this is the longest post i have seen from you in a decade

Depends upon who you ask.

Andy Specht
@AndySpecht
·
4m
As expected,
@NC_Governor
vetoes bill that would cut some unemployment benefits.

Conservatives love dirt cheap labor while disparaging those very same laborers for being immigrants or poor or both.

Paying people stay home and not to work in a deadly pandemic where >600k people have died and 50% of the country is refusing to get a free,extremely effective vaccine is not bad policy. I think it is going to end with more people dead.

Paying people stay home and not to work in a deadly pandemic where >600k people have died and 50% of the country is refusing to get a free,extremely effective vaccine is not bad policy. I think it is going to end with more people dead.

So I guess we'll just keep paying them until they decide to get the vaccine ? You realize it's some of the same people right ?

Well apparently employers are having difficulty hiring in the states that eliminated the extra unemployment benefits also. Maybe it is something else. This comes from a conservative national economist and financial advisor.

Back