• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Someone said he has to wait 6 months. He'll probably find a way out of it though

Unless the company...grant him a waiver, or "exception"...!!

Also, he can borrow against his newly enriched share value. Good luck, lenders.

and of course Trump and Truth Social are currently being sued.

In one case, filed in Delaware Chancery Court, Trump Media co-founders Andy Litinsky and Wes Moss, both one-time contestants on The Apprentice, sued the company for an alleged scheme to dilute their 8.6 percent stake in the business. Meanwhile, Digital World Acquisition — Trump Media’s partner in the planned combination — is squaring off with its one-time chief executive, Patrick Orlando, in dueling lawsuits over how much stock in the combined company is owed to Orlando’s ARC Global Investments II, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The Trump Media and Digital World merger has taken on new significance in recent weeks as a potentially lucrative source of capital for Trump, who is facing more than $500 million in civil judgments. With more than 78 million shares allotted in the combined company, Trump could be in for a massive windfall: As of Friday morning, his stock would have been valued at roughly $3.2 billion.
"[The merger] represents a potential (and perhaps existential) liquidity event for Trump, which may explain his last-minute stock grab,” lawyers representing Litinsky and Moss wrote in a filing on Wednesday.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...rumps-truth-social-deal-in-11th-hour-00144398

Sorta seen this before...

MW-DQ553_trumpc_20150721175842_ZH.jpg

I’ve read two separate articles describing the difference between a “put” and a “short” and all I understand so far is that a “short” is a gamble that a stock will go down in price, and a “put” is like buying short term insurance for a stock in case the price goes down, allowing you to sell it at whatever price it was when you bought the put.

does flag burning offend anyone here?

serious question

people making a big deal out of marine burning a flag at a rally while an alderman was speaking, claiming the alderman is way out of line for speaking at such an event

probably, I don’t care, but seems to always strike a chord with some people

SPACS have been around since the financification of all businesses, but really took off since COVID and the 0 interest rates. They're typically the fastest way to raise capital/getting listed while skirting immediate regulations/scrutiny that the company would face if going public in the traditional way.

They also fail at a massive rate and typically get a handful of people rich while tanking the rest.

"Given the downturn, Ritter estimates two-thirds of the 613 SPACs that IPO’d in 2021 will never complete a merger and will “end up losing everything.” Many have already liquidated, i.e. dissolved and returned money to investors.

When a SPAC liquidates, the biggest losers are the sponsors, the executives and private equity firms that start the SPAC and contribute sponsor capital, roughly 3%-7% of the predicted capital raise for the IPO. For an average SPAC in 2021, the upfront cost of sponsor capital was ~$8m, Ritter says.

At the height of the SPAC craze, these sponsors believed they’d get richer. Instead, with ~400 of the 2021 SPACs likely to fail, they’ll be out a combined ~$3.2B.

• In 2020 and 2021, at the height of the SPAC craze, retail investors were lured to SPACs by promises they could buy shares in a company at an early stage and reap the benefits, similar to a venture capitalist.
  • But the average one-year return on a company that went public via SPAC merger in 2021 was -64.2%, according to Ritter’s data. (The average one-year return for the entire market was -10.4%.)"
    - https://thehustle.co/the-spectacular-failure-of-spacs

Yeah, but the biggest investors in this case are actually investing not in some businesses but in a person.

Stupid system we got here.

Last edited:
For me its hard to forget that when the Democrats ran Barack Obama for president, Lieberman choose to go speak at the republican convention. A turning point in US history and LIeberman choose that moment to change teams. That was hard for me to reconcile.

Big hit for No Labels.

For me its hard to forget that when the Democrats ran Barack Obama for president, Lieberman choose to go speak at the republican convention. A turning point in US history and LIeberman choose that moment to change teams. That was hard for me to reconcile.
Wasn’t there talk of him being McCain’s running mate

Back