• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Just flight education and training programs, right? Just wanted to add some missing context.
Seems that way, but I struggle to see the point of this bill even with that context. Why do these Senators care about ensuring that flight education student loans are definitely paid back?

Well, the point is to reauthorize the FAA and get funding to improve infrastructure and air traffic controller training and improve air travel safety, which is fairly important particularly given the recent aircraft issues and uptick in near misses -- also, we want to actually pay air traffic controllers. The bill also boosted student loan limits for flight training loans. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was not the dem Senators listed in that woefully context deficient tweet who inserted that provision, and I'm also going to guess that they may have added that "except as authorized by an Act of Congress" part.

Some actual context here. Duckworth is the only one of those mentioned in the tweet who co-sponsored the bill.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammi...n-forgiveness-for-this-group/?sh=310bfd583ef0

I appreciate y'all's commitment to the party.

But the problem is the precedent that this sets, not the particular class of debtors targeted in by the legislation

Debt Collective has some great analysis on this if y'all are ever interested in dropping the blue pom poms for a few mins

Y'all are so quick to lecture progressives on the values of incrementalism and then get amnesia when it comes to applying that analysis to what the party is actually doing in policy.

I have a commitment to facts and context.

so, as a committed fan of context (and a fan of incrementalist policy development), do you understand how this is/could be the first domino to fall to significantly limit the scope of debt cancellation in other institutional contexts?

again - Debt Collective has done some great policy analysis on this, but nobody on here appears to be interested in learning the specifics of that because it contradicts Dear Leader

There’s plenty of research showing the pointlessness and failure of means testing legislation of this kind. It’s not voters, conservative or otherwise, who are pushing this shit, it’s lobbyists.

It’s dishonest for these policies to be portrayed as necessary evils when they aren’t necessary.

so, as a committed fan of context (and a fan of incrementalist policy development), do you understand how this is/could be the first domino to fall to significantly limit the scope of debt cancellation in other institutional contexts?

again - Debt Collective has done some great policy analysis on this, but nobody on here appears to be interested in learning the specifics of that because it contradicts Dear Leader
Link?

I understand how someone could perceive it that way. I don't think it will happen (also, take it up with Republicans - we need to fund the fucking FAA). This is so narrow that it only affects flight training/education loans (which were just increased as part of this reauthorization bill) for students whose school closed or engaged in certain types of misconduct. That's it.

I also don't think the terrible tweeter even knew how limited it was in scope, and then had to backtrack once he was informed of it, and I think he is misleading a lot of folks who follow him based on some of the dumb comments in that thread. And you posting the bad tweet without context and "burn in hell" histrionics , and now this dumb Dear Leader crap, leads me to believe you're not someone from whom I would want to learn any specifics on the topic, especially given the people you are "learning" from.

Last edited:
I understand how someone could perceive it that way. I don't think it will happen (also, take it up with Republicans - we need to fund the fucking FAA). This is so narrow that it only affects flight training/education loans (which were just increased as part of this reauthorization bill) for students whose school closed or engaged in certain types of misconduct. That's it.

I also don't think the terrible tweeter even knew how limited it was in scope, and then had to backtrack once he was informed of it, and I think he is misleading a lot of folks who follow him based on some of the dumb comments in that thread. And you posting the bad tweet without context and "burn in hell" histrionics , and now this dumb Dear Leader crap, leads me to believe you're not someone from whom I would want to learn any specifics on the topic, especially given the people you are "learning" from.

I'm sorry that I didn't present the information in a form that you found to be civil enough to engage with in a serious way. I'm just in my late 30s and stuck under debt that's prevented me from acquiring a lot of the "things" (a house! a big credit line! a new car! etc.) that most of this board takes for granted. In the future, I'll try and be more sensitive to privileged folks' tonal concerns when expressing my discontent over matters of federal policy!

That being said, it seems like you don't want to learn anything about debt cancellation. And I think that's a fair consideration of your position since this isn't the first time we've done this dance. The great thing about legislation and policy analysis is that, unlike academic research, almost all of it is free and accessible to the public. If you cared to know or wanted to know, then there would be plenty of opportunities for you to learn about how the "cancel debt" groups develop their policy prescriptions and analyze existing ones.

But you (and the rest of the vote blue no matter who crowd on here) don't, which is fine.

@Strickland33 did you know that Astra Taylor, the co-founder of Debt Collective and a documentary film maker, other claim to fame is being married to Jeff Mangum? I used to follow her on Twitter and she seems awesome.

I have nothing substantial to add.

@Strickland33 did you know that Astra Taylor, the co-founder of Debt Collective and a documentary film maker, other claim to fame is being married to Jeff Mangum? I used to follow her on Twitter and she seems awesome.

I have nothing substantial to add.

I had no idea, but that's amazing!

Her work is super impressive! She's also a really great follow on social media.

In the future, I'll try and be more sensitive to privileged folks' tonal concerns when expressing my discontent over matters of federal policy!

That being said, it seems like you don't want to learn anything about debt cancellation. And I think that's a fair consideration of your position since this isn't the first time we've done this dance. The great thing about legislation and policy analysis is that, unlike academic research, almost all of it is free and accessible to the public. If you cared to know or wanted to know, then there would be plenty of opportunities for you to learn about how the "cancel debt" groups develop their policy prescriptions and analyze existing ones.

But you (and the rest of the vote blue no matter who crowd on here) don't, which is fine.
It's amazing you can be so obnoxious and pretentious while calling people out on their "privilege". I knew immediately that the tweet you posted was bullshit, and that I could spend 5 minutes and pick it apart completely, but your all-knowing ass was completely hook line and sinkered by it. And to post that and then tell me to educate myself on the topic by reading more from the group that put out the dumb tweet -- yes, please sign me up! It's like posting a tweet about how ivermectin cures COVID and then telling me to educate myself by listening to Rogan.

I post facts and context related to the tweet, and your response is that I just tow the line for Dear Leader. Zero thought by you to what you constantly tow the line for. You think you're not a line-tower? Give us all a break please.

And wife and I are still sitting on about $60k in student loan debt in our mid-40s. We don't get mad at the wrong people.

Back