• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Was everyone entering the workforce back when you were in your 20s a super hard worker?
It was my experience that those who didn't work hard lost their jobs or weren't promoted. Today with the job market being the way it is especially, in the service end, employers need to hold on to staff no matter what the cost. Today, being mediocre is acceptable. No data to prove it. Just my impression.

It was my experience that those who didn't work hard lost their jobs or weren't promoted. Today with the job market being the way it is especially, in the service end, employers need to hold on to staff no matter what the cost. Today, being mediocre is acceptable. No data to prove it. Just my impression.
I think there might be something to that fact that young people 40 years ago were willing to work long hours and essentially be exploited by their company, whereas many young people nowadays are not.

However, I would strongly push back on the idea that the current mindset is lazy. Instead, I would suggest that it’s perfectly reasonable to be expected to be paid an amount that is consistent with the amount of work you are expected to do and not going above and beyond that amount of work without additional compensation.

Societal shifts in mindset that benefit the employees over the employer absolutely do not mean that the employees are inherently lazy people.

Last edited:
Yep. Boomers willingly allowed themselves to be exploited which allowed the wealthy to accumulate insane capital to pass down to their shitty kids. But they ended up ok because they could live and support a family even on shitty exploitive with a large social safety net.

Exploited?? My gawd. So we willingly "allowed" ourselves to be exploited? You mean making a decent wage and not bitching and moaning how much better those above us had. Instead working harder and hope (though not always) being rewarded for our efforts? Sure we were exploited.....lol. And of course, young people today had such a better sense of awareness than we did and they aren't going to take that shit.....lmao. Gawd forbid they do a little extra...we wouldn't want to tax them. Societal shifts my ass.

Exploited?? My gawd. So we willingly "allowed" ourselves to be exploited? You mean making a decent wage and not bitching and moaning how much better those above us had. Instead working harder and hope (though not always) being rewarded for our efforts? Sure we were exploited.....lol. And of course, young people today had such a better sense of awareness than we did and they aren't going to take that shit.....lmao. Gawd forbid they do a little extra...we wouldn't want to tax them. Societal shifts my ass.

That’s the difference lol You mention the service industry - you mean minimum wage based jobs are shockingly hard to staff when the minimum wage is completely divorced from a realistic living income?

Idk why I’m responding anyway, you’ve already admitted you’re just going off vibes. Your parents generation probably thought your generation was lazy as hell too.

By all measure of worker output it’s like exponentially many times greater than the boomer generation, sure sounds lazy!!!

Companies also had better promotion tracks and pensions so you could spend your whole career at one company. For a lot of white collar jobs once you’re hired at a rate you’re kinda set there other than small annual merit increases. To really move up financially you have to go to another company and older managers decry younger people for not being loyal.

I watched a video a few days ago making the case that no one should spend more than 2-3 years in a job because they'll get stuck.

Another trend I've read about is that one reason there is no upward mobility is companies just hire executives with Ivy League and elite backgrounds who are on "CEO tracks" instead of workers rising up the ranks. Not sure how common that is but it seems like a major problem.

Companies also like to hire outside to get “fresh perspectives” so internal candidates aren’t always the best positioned. Obviously that’s on a company/job/candidate basis but I’ve definitely heard this line throughout my career.

I watched a video a few days ago making the case that no one should spend more than 2-3 years in a job because they'll get stuck.

Another trend I've read about is that one reason there is no upward mobility is companies just hire executives with Ivy League and elite backgrounds who are on "CEO tracks" instead of workers rising up the ranks. Not sure how common that is but it seems like a major problem.
Of course it is going to depend on the industry, in my experience very senior folks in finance, operations, and IT often rise through the ranks (not necessarily at a single company mind you). Strategy, development, and marketing are probably a bit more pedigree driven though.

I've hired at least a dozen people under age 30 in the last 3 years, and they all work their asses off. The myth of each generation that everyone younger than them doesn't work as hard, is lazy, etc is utter bullshit. The laziest people I work with are all within 5 to 10 years of retirement age and on cruise control. And they have zero patience for smarter, younger, people telling them what to do.

Last edited:
I think there might be something to that fact that young people 40 years ago were willing to work long hours and essentially be exploited by their company, whereas many young people nowadays are not.

However, I would strongly push back on the idea that the current mindset is lazy. Instead, I would suggest that it’s perfectly reasonable to be expected to be paid an amount that is consistent with the amount of work you are expected to do and not going above and beyond that amount of work without additional compensation.

Societal shifts in mindset that benefit the employees over the employer absolutely do not mean that the employees are inherently lazy people.
There used to be better collective bargaining from organized labor too, maybe the thing I’m most frustrated with boomers about is reaping all the benefits of postwar union hard work, then letting Reagan systematically destroy the New Deal Coalition and hand all the leverage to owners. People worked hard in Pop’s day, I’m sure, but they also enjoyed all kinds of hard won labor protections and cushy industrial and pre tech jobs not really extended to todays gig and knowledge economy.

Like, JFC the insinuation that people don't want to work as hard as possible to get ahead when they are younger is just flagrantly stupid. We were all that age once and I am certain every one of us was trying to figure out how to get ahead.

Like, JFC the insinuation that people don't want to work as hard as possible to get ahead when they are younger is just flagrantly stupid. We were all that age once and I am certain every one of us was trying to figure out how to get ahead.
Why would jesus do that?

Back