• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobknightfan's Take on GT Game

being consistently weird isn't any less weird. might even be more so.

I wouldn't have cheered against my grandson...just as I would never have cheered against my son...on a personal basis...but I would have cheered for Coach Knight's team to win. There are no circumstances where I would ever cheer against a Bob Knight-coached team....no matter who it was playing. Everyone has to believe in something or someone. I believe in Bob Knight. Period. No qualifiers. That was a decision that I made many, many years ago.

Creepy.

MV5BMTgyMzQ2NzA5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTE4ODI5._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Actually, it shouldn't require any clarification. I've been completely consistent in this regard for more than 30 years now. (And I did drive 1,300 miles (round-trip)just to meet him in Assembly Hall and watch a Friday night IU practice session one time, in the middle of January, 1995. They weren't even playing a game. My wife couldn't believe that one.)

Dear God in Heaven...

being consistently weird isn't any less weird. might even be more so.

BKF is eccentric...nothing wrong with that. Comes with age, I surmise that quite a few on these boards will exhibit similar behavior as they age.

BKF is eccentric...nothing wrong with that. Comes with age, I surmise that quite a few on these boards will exhibit similar behavior as they age.

"Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric."

Yeah, I watched the whole game....and found myself pulling hard for Duke, which kind of surprised me. It was a very good game....but there were still about 100 fouls and 100 travelling violations that were not called. I've come to the conclusion that players travel about 80% of the time they touch the ball...and on almost every drive to the basket.

LOL, you are a lifelong fan of a man who spent most of his career coaching in the Big 10 and you are complaining about uncalled fouls?

I'm deadly serious about that, QC. If the only way to win is to recruit a bunch of 1 & 2-year non-students, then I say "to hell with it". There are many things more important to me than winning basketball games.

It's not. Last year's final four had a total of 2 first or second year players who left early. Trey Burke and MCW. They were both more than prepared to take the next step and as far as we know had no issues in the classroom.

It's also interesting that you feel this way considering your idol coached 10% of all the Fr. or Soph. Early Entrants from 1976-1989.

It's not. Last year's final four had a total of 2 first or second year players who left early. Trey Burke and MCW. They were both more than prepared to take the next step and as far as we know had no issues in the classroom.

It's also interesting that you feel this way considering your idol coached 10% of all the Fr. or Soph. Early Entrants from 1976-1989.

Montrezl Harrell, Glenn Robinson III, Nik Stauskas, and Jerami Grant might all leave as sophomores after this season.

bkf is perfectly normal. I've known him for quite a while. Like many other Wake students, he was and is a nice guy. He just does not have the same passions as some of the posters here from later generations. He has different ones and is unusually open about them. But calling bkf a racist is about as ridiculous as posts get on these boards.

I don't think Bob has to worry about one and dones at Wake for the foreseeable future. That went by the by when Wellman fired Dino.

If culture change is the solution to the problem I think eventually you would have Bob, Ron, Overalls, Braces and some middle school kids attending the games. And Casstevans would deem it a sellout. Yeah.

Anybody ever consider that our most recent players who left early for the NBA, such as Teague, James Johnson and AFA, left in part because they were not getting very good coaching, especially on offense, from Dino. I am not saying this to be anti-Dino but some of his coaching, especially on offense, did leave a bit to be desired. By the way, all three of them were recruited by Skip and not by Dino, and maybe that's also a factor in their leaving early. I think if we connect the phenomenon of players leaving Wake early to the discontinuties after Skip's death, then they don't necessarily appear to be such a trend. Wellman and the administration seem to have jumped the gun on this, and we have been paying a huge price for it ever since. Most of the players who come to Wake probably wont leave early anyway. Of course, there are exceptions - CP3 and RR - but then they are just exceptions. If we had a reasonably settled and competitive coaching staff, defections to the NBA would probably not be particularly common anyway.

Anybody ever consider that our most recent players who left early for the NBA, such as Teague, James Johnson and AFA, left in part because they were not getting very good coaching, especially on offense, from Dino. I am not saying this to be anti-Dino but some of his coaching, especially on offense, did leave a bit to be desired. By the way, all three of them were recruited by Skip and not by Dino, and maybe that's also a factor in their leaving early. I think if we connect the phenomenon of players leaving Wake early to the discontinuties after Skip's death, then they don't necessarily appear to be such a trend. Wellman and the administration seem to have jumped the gun on this, and we have been paying a huge price for it ever since. Most of the players who come to Wake probably wont leave early anyway. Of course, there are exceptions - CP3 and RR - but then they are just exceptions. If we had a reasonably settled and competitive coaching staff, defections to the NBA would probably not be particularly common anyway.

I don't think that was the reason at all. I think they received some good advice that their market value was not going to improve by staying. I don't think it had much to do with Dino at all.

I think it's fairly silly to suggest that Dino had anything to do with them going early or not. These weren't borderline guys, not at all.

I think it's fairly silly to suggest that Dino had anything to do with them going early or not. These weren't borderline guys, not at all.

If Dino's coaching deficiencies are to be taken seriously, then it's difficult to dismiss the idea that they had something to do with those guys, who had signed with Skip, leaving early.

If we consider this possibility, then the hiring of Buzz appears even more problematic. Wellman overreacted to a temporary phenomenon, and hired the wrong guy to fix a non-, or at best temporary, problem.

Last edited:

I don't think that was the reason at all. I think they received some good advice that their market value was not going to improve by staying. I don't think it had much to do with Dino at all.

I'm with Dirk on this one. It's also baseless speculation. And kind of sad.

Teague and Johnson got word that they were guaranteed to get drafted in the first round with interest from several teams in the lotto. That's a guaranteed contract that'll make you a millionaire in your 20s doing what you love and have worked all of your life to do. For kids ranked in the 40s and 50s, that's a pretty incredible accomplishment (not to mention far better "coaching up the talent" than [Redacted], though, he gets FAR more credit for doing much less). Aminu was projected lotto since he stepped on campus, came back to hone his craft, saw an opportunity, and took it. You should Google what a top-10 pick makes in yearly salary (hint: it's likely more than any of us have ever pulled in a year).

You're so off-base, sailor. It's kind of pathetic. Even more so when you look at other more egregious examples of the same phenomenon -say, Steve Alford, who tried to get Tony Snell to stay in campus despite him receiving similar assurances (or Chill begging Travis to stay over a steak dinner). Our cultureless, axe-murderer former head coached actually comes across like the good guy that he is.

He might not have been a great coach, but he gave his players good advice to leave. If those guys were not projected around the lotto, with first round guarantees, then they probably would not have left. Given their accomplishments at Wake, it would have been a huge mistake to come back. That's the truth.

I don't know why y'all continue to speculate on things for the sole purpose of making Dino look worse. He isn't/wasn't that bad of a guy. Honest.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have cheered against my grandson...just as I would never have cheered against my son...on a personal basis...but I would have cheered for Coach Knight's team to win. There are no circumstances where I would ever cheer against a Bob Knight-coached team....no matter who it was playing. Everyone has to believe in something or someone. I believe in Bob Knight. Period. No qualifiers. That was a decision that I made many, many years ago.

The funny part about this post is that Bob Knight would probably hate you...I know for sure he would hate your views on politics and that is very important him. That being said he does surround himself with sycophants so you have that going for your.

Dino's coaching deficiencies are overrated in my opinion. He wasn't ready for an ACC gig but he shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with the nightmare we have at the head of the bench currently. If Dino were hired as the interim coach after Skip's death and Wellman had done a proper job search leading to a solid hire, people on this board would think of Dino in an entirely different light. Dino didn't trash the program. Far from it. He tried to keep the momentum Skip built going with basically the same philosophy in terms of recruiting and he added his own twist by introducing a different defensive philosophy. But Dino was not a tested coach in tournament play and that was his undoing. And a better AD would have recognized this from the get go and supported him during the interim and helped him find a position where he could grow into a major program hire. Instead he gets a contract extension and then gets blamed for this culture change bullshit. What a suck ass deal Dino got. I hope he makes the transition from the U to prime time ESPN. His analysis is spot on and he's a good guy.

Strickland, I didn't say that they left because of Dino's deficiencies as a coach but that may have been part of why they left. I don't recall that I have ever speculated to make Dino look worse. In fact, I have never been particularly critical of Dino. The whole focus of my posts was to try to put the early departure of Wake players in a somewhat different light than we usually do around here. I do think that the major reason they left was their relatively high draft status but that does not mean that there could not have been other factors. Most important is the notion that Wellman in firing Dino and hiring Buzz was perhaps overreacting to a temporary, passing issue and partly due to his misjudgments of the early departure phenomena, he made huge mistakes.

Also, just to clarify the record, IIRC Dino went to Indianapolis to try to dissuade Teague from going pro after his second year. But he was not able to persuade Teague to stay. And it was pretty much common knowledge that AFA's parents valued education and so that had a role, perhaps the major role, in his staying for a second year.

Back