• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BOT met yesterday, any moles on this board.

i bet 8 dudes don't share a shower and a shitter like we did in the day (79-83). also have nicer place to work out, eat better food, etc.

colleges have gotten themselves in an arms race in terms of facilities and feel like they need to keep up or fall behind. they've become more like country clubs for pampered picky eating cul de sac kids. the cost of their "product" (education) is just a fraction of the total price of attending

Faculty, if you play your cards right:

Sabbaticals

Paternity/Maternity leave

2 classes in the fall; 1 in the spring...then a nice fat 12 month sabbatical.

No work in December/most of January (Jan. 20 or so) if you have your finals turned in early or get creative.

At least 5 snow days per year.

Summer - vacation for 3 months.

Fall break/spring break -- no work if you are smart about scheduling or just CANCEL a class or two -- so that is another 2 weeks of vacation tacked onto the 7 weeks you got at the holidays and the entire summer.

You can always setup your office hours so you can stay home with the kids as much as you like - especially if schools are closed, but your University is open - just cancel class or get someone to cover for you!

Main drawbacks: getting the PhD which is not exactly fun; pressure to publish is real; dealing with other ridiculously insecure faculty pricks; the crazy tenure process; endless meetings and red tape.

So, underpaid?
Maybe.

To me it is the ultimate awesome job. PhDeac is smarter than anybody else here, including me. His comments on Admin are 100% spot on, too.

since when is diversity an issue? We were fine when it was just 89% good ole fashioned whiteys.

I know you're joking, but I think that's something to consider. Alumni may not think we need a diversity office, LGBTQ center, or women's center but it's really not up to alumni. In terms of remaining competitive with peer schools, we sort of have to follow suit. Or, again, risk looking like we aren't welcoming/forward thinking.

since when is diversity an issue? We were fine when it was just 89% good ole fashioned whiteys.

Back in my day it was around 91%. Just over 300 people weren't white. A significant percentage of that were the football, basketball, and track teams.

Well assuming the admin positions went from 56 to 220, and the average salary/benefits/costs of those people is $100k, then that alone would account for about $3,500/year increase in costs.

Back in my day it was around 91%. Just over 300 people weren't white. A significant percentage of that were the football, basketball, and track teams.

Looks like we're down to about 78% now. All I will say is that there seems to be a direct correlation between the percentage of white undergraduates and the success of our basketball team. The "us against them" mantra is real.

Looks like we're down to about 78% now. All I will say is that there seems to be a direct correlation between the percentage of white undergraduates and the success of our basketball team.

Pretty much. Our only Final Four was the spring before the first black student enrolled at Wake.

Think about that.

My oldest son starts kindergarten this fall. He'll be a college freshman in Fall 2027. If the cost of attendance increases 3.8% a year, it will cost $101,557 for him to attend Wake Forest for his freshman year.

Something in Washington needs to change. Something in Winston-Salem definitely needs to change.

We're in an education bubble much like the housing bubble, which imho was fueled by a change in the law that exempted school loans from bankruptcy. While some were abusing the prior bankruptcy rules, I think the solution was worse than the first problem. Either the government or the populace will "pop" this bubble. My oldest will start high school next year. I'm anxious for the bubble to pop, which is why I'm so active on the College is a lousy investment Pit thread.

Be warned that your field may be the next to be "obamacared."

I know you're joking, but I think that's something to consider. Alumni may not think we need a diversity office, LGBTQ center, or women's center but it's really not up to alumni. In terms of remaining competitive with peer schools, we sort of have to follow suit. Or, again, risk looking like we aren't welcoming/forward thinking.

Oh wait, you were being serious?

Pretty much. Our only Final Four was the spring before the first black student enrolled at Wake.

Think about that.

wait are you pro-segregation on campus

i am suddenly super confused

Faculty, if you play your cards right:

Sabbaticals

Paternity/Maternity leave

2 classes in the fall; 1 in the spring...then a nice fat 12 month sabbatical.

No work in December/most of January (Jan. 20 or so) if you have your finals turned in early or get creative.

At least 5 snow days per year.

Summer - vacation for 3 months.

Fall break/spring break -- no work if you are smart about scheduling or just CANCEL a class or two -- so that is another 2 weeks of vacation tacked onto the 7 weeks you got at the holidays and the entire summer.

You can always setup your office hours so you can stay home with the kids as much as you like - especially if schools are closed, but your University is open - just cancel class or get someone to cover for you!

Main drawbacks: getting the PhD which is not exactly fun; pressure to publish is real; dealing with other ridiculously insecure faculty pricks; the crazy tenure process; endless meetings and red tape.

So, underpaid?
Maybe.

To me it is the ultimate awesome job. PhDeac is smarter than anybody else here, including me. His comments on Admin are 100% spot on, too.

Reasonable summary. I like the flexibility. I couldn't be cooped up in an office writing up TPS reports. I know at my university, there is a culture difference between older faculty who came here when it was a undergraduate focused teaching institution and junior faculty who came here recently as a Research I institution. We're bringing in more and more junior faculty from elite institutions who have an orientation toward research and grantsmanship.

I think many of my older colleagues abuse the flexibility after they get tenure. They lack the personal drive to get things done. I'd like to see universities give faculty who don't get grants and/or publish a higher teaching load and more administrative responsibilities.

Here is a good article I found last month that summarizes what professors do.
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/railsback_profduties.html

At our 10 year reunion event, I think we were at about 95% white and I definitely felt like the token white guy hanging out with them since one of the black guys was one of my say 5-10 best friends at Wake and I hadn't seen him in 10 years.

Screw it. If that's what it takes to get Wake a championship. #WhitesIn #MinoritiesOUT

reminds me of your comment about still eating chick-fil-a if the employees served you while wearing white sheets.

principles only go so far

reminds me of your comment about still eating chick-fil-a if the employees served you while wearing white sheets.

principles only go so far

luckily social progress isn't dependent on whether or not i go get a cool wrap, because they are delicious

Is Wellman taking a paycut if he does stay like an impossibility?

I mean at some point the BOT has to say "Wellman, bro. Two mil? Lets make that $500k. Get some fans in the seats and we can talk."

I think that $2mm was a one-year deal where he got paid out a bunch of bonuses that were accruing. I think his normal pay is $750k or something.

Someone correct me, if that's wrong

buckets has it right. When the article came out about Wellman's salary eclipsing $2.4 million in 2010 came out, people flipped out, but it was around $1.7 million of deferred comp that had been accruing since 1995 and finally vested in 2010. His normal annual comp is right around that $750k number. Some (including myself) would still say that is way too high, but we are not paying our AD $2 million a year.

i bet 8 dudes don't share a shower and a shitter like we did in the day (79-83). also have nicer place to work out, eat better food, etc.

colleges have gotten themselves in an arms race in terms of facilities and feel like they need to keep up or fall behind. they've become more like country clubs for pampered picky eating cul de sac kids. the cost of their "product" (education) is just a fraction of the total price of attending

You are incorrect on the first one. The freshman dorms, except for Luter (but including the brand new South Hall, as well as Collins (which I think is newer)) are all still hall style. The quad dorms are all suite style (6-8 (?) people per bathroom). The brand new Magnolia and Dogwood halls are also 6-8 people per bathroom. There are more apartment style dorms, but that doesn't necessarily represent an upgrade due to the new, 3 year residency requirement (I know my off campus apartment senior year was vastly better than any on-campus apartment, including the vaunted North Campus apartments).

You are incorrect on the first one. The freshman dorms, except for Luter (but including the brand new South Hall, as well as Collins (which I think is newer)) are all still hall style. The quad dorms are all suite style (6-8 (?) people per bathroom). The brand new Magnolia and Dogwood halls are also 6-8 people per bathroom. There are more apartment style dorms, but that doesn't necessarily represent an upgrade due to the new, 3 year residency requirement (I know my off campus apartment senior year was vastly better than any on-campus apartment, including the vaunted North Campus apartments).

I hope they kept the painted-over concrete block walls. They have such a charming retro touch at over $60 thou per year.

Back