• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Trump Says

Here are two alt-right conservative sources (Nate Silver & Freakonomics) weighing in on media bias:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/there-really-was-a-liberal-media-bubble/

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-biased-is-your-media/

Only the numbnut dipshits on the Tunnels Left would argue the news media does not lean left. Just own it and move onto the next outrage du jour.

The Nate Silver piece is about groupthink. He provides some evidence that there was media bias against Trump specifically but not an overall longstanding leftist bias like sailor is claiming. This bit was particularly key:

Of the major newspapers that endorsed either Clinton or Trump, only 3 percent (2 of 59) endorsed Trump. By comparison, 46 percent of newspapers to endorse either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney endorsed Romney in 2012. Furthermore, as the media has become less representative of right-of-center views — and as conservatives have rebelled against the political establishment — there’s been an increasing and perhaps self-reinforcing cleavage between conservative news and opinion outlets such as Breitbart and the rest of the media.

The Freakonomics link doesn't say much. I thought this was interesting:

LEVITT: Tim Groseclose and Jeff Milyo estimate how left-wing or right-wing media outlets are based on what research by think tanks they mention in their stories. They then compare that to the think-tank research that elected officials cite when they talk on the House or Senate floor, to calibrate where the media fits relative to the Congress. They find some interesting answers: most of the media does have a liberal bias (throwing out the editorial page, the Wall Street Journal is the most liberal of all, even beating the New York Times!). Fox News is one of the few outlets that is right of center.

But only a few of those 20 outlets were outside of what would probably be one standard deviation of 50 out of 100. So at most they lean left. If you compare them to the chart of politician PQ below it, most outlets are somewhere around a Republican senator from CT from the 80s to '08, JFK as a senator, and Arlen Spector. That's hardly far left.

I assume most of the discussion is in the 35 minute podcast. Can you tell me some specific nuggets of information that represent your point?

Sinclair is gobbling up local news broadcasts and making them run pro-right wing segments -- most recently about getting Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. Fox News is the most-watched cable news network. Millions of rubes like Angus and Sailor get their "news" from Breitbart, Drudge, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc.. Spare me this liberal media bullshit, rubes.

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all for a profession to lean liberal when is dominated by well educated college grads who are required to do massive amounts of research , do massive amounts of reading and writing, and to have exceptional critical thinking and analysis as prerequisites for their job.

He’s the enemy of this person. I’ve got Trump fatigue. If there’s nothing going on for a few days that’s headline worthy, try talking about something else. Some peace and quiet is nice. We don’t need to fill in the quiet days with opeds on the 50 most cringeworthy lines of a speech three weeks ago as a front page headline. Trump didn’t tweet anything last night he hasn’t already said 10 times. It’s not news, it’s lavar Ball soap opera.

Last edited:
He’s the enemy of this person. I’ve got Trump fatigue. If there’s nothing going on for a few days that’s headline worthy, try talking about something else. Some peace and quiet is nice. We don’t need to fill in the quiet days with opeds on the 50 most cringeworthy lines of a speech three weeks ago as a front page headline. Trump didn’t tweet anything last night he hasn’t already said 10 times. It’s not news, it’s lavar Ball soap opera.

the president constantly and openly lying isn't something that should be ignored brah

LOL. Trump was in the news all the time even before he was the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Of course he's going to be in the news all the time.

clillizza is going to have to get in line for the “I banged out plamas girlfriend and now the little troll is mad at me” crowd.

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all for a profession to lean liberal when is dominated by well educated college grads who are required to do massive amounts of research , do massive amounts of reading and writing, and to have exceptional critical thinking and analysis as prerequisites for their job.

apparently not enough critical thinking or research, or maybe simply doing what the boss asks?

apparently not enough critical thinking or research, or maybe simply doing what the boss asks?

your pitiful argument might have a shred of merit if the big bad librul media had been factually wrong on a consistent basis. we'll patiently wait for your list of examples

It's all lies if the libruls don't consult with sailor's feelings first.

actually, the lefties would do well to consult with me first but then they couldn't be lefties any more; on the other hand they would be right more often, indeed, a lot more often

actually, the lefties would do well to consult with me first but then they couldn't be lefties any more; on the other hand they would be right more often, indeed, a lot more often

You do realize we consult with you all the time and increasingly believe you’re full of it.

Back