• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz: "I think you're asking the wrong person."

Exactly. He isn't a leader...probably a great technician, but not a leader. Perhaps the consummate assistant coach.

I'm convinced he will never be a successful head coach for us. Bzzz out.

I actually think he'd have been a really good college assistant coach. Xs and.Os and all that. And he can spot some talent - Burks, CMM before he blew up, etc. And I guess he has enough living room skills to pull in six decent recruits despite a god awful record. But he just can't be the face of a program.

OK... so from RJ's analysis:

Who do we want to nominate to pose as a Bobcats exec & make this thing as clean as possible?

I'll even write the dialogue that needs to happen:

"Coach... Mr. Jordan has been speaking with Mr. Reilly about sure-fire assistants & your name keeps coming up. Mr. Jordan, out of respect for the college game & ACC basketball specifically, refuses to step on any fingers while you're still actively employed. Can't say much else, but here's a cell # to call when you're ready to talk to Mr. Jordan"

RJ, if a coach resigns/retires/whatever after losing season everyone really knows that he was fired. For example, Sidney Lowe resigned. Do you believe that was his decision? No chance in hell.

It's semantics.

It depends on how it's played. sidney had other problems. [Redacted] doesn't. He can say he's tired and needs a couple of years off. He cna theoretically "retire".

There are several ways to do it.

I know people hate it when coaches blame the players. But if we're being honest, success in sports is at least 90% about the players and maybe 10% about the coaches.

The vast majority of the time, the team with more talented players is going to beat the team with less talented players

I know people hate it when coaches blame the players. But if we're being honest, success in sports is at least 90% about the players and maybe 10% about the coaches.

The vast majority of the time, the team with more talented players is going to beat the team with less talented players

Just because there may be some truth to it doesn't mean it isn't bad leadership to air your dirty laundry in public.

That presser clip is bizarre. Facial expression and comments.

Not to be a jerk... but it was par for the course (especially in the past year)

The rambling answer where he never really says anything (with some strange smiles, nods, & pauses) followed by a short rhetorical dig @ his players is about how he's handled every post-game loss & subsequent line of questions this year. The one real exception I can think of is Duke, where he seemed alarmingly proud of keeping it within 20.

Watch this from when the questions start (1:30 into the clip) for an example that's strikingly similar. (from the NC State post game)

It depends on how it's played. sidney had other problems. [Redacted] doesn't. He can say he's tired and needs a couple of years off. He cna theoretically "retire".

There are several ways to do it.

I just don't think that there will be anyway to effectively spin it as a true resignation.

Wellman hasn't exactly proven himself to be very good with the media when it comes to [Redacted] either.

We have the players. I don't think for a minute that we are so out-gunned on talent that we look the way we do. And in that 90/10 world you speak of, the 10% is critical. It's far more important you pull out the skills of guys you do have rather than confuse or worse yet, scare them out of doing what they are naturally good at. There's a reason folks refer to it as "coaching them up." A coaches job is to coach the players he has. I don't believe the results on the floor show our coach (and staff) to be doing that at present.

Sigh. Quit making excuses for the man. There are none whatsoever.

Awful. He needs to find an NBA job ASAP.

I think most people would have been happy with 11 wins at this point in the season if the losses hadn't been so debilitating. The margins are what people blame the coaches on. We may not have enough talent and experience to win much, but we certainly have enough talent and experience to keep it within 10 more often than not, especially in an historically weak ACC.

tumblr_lz8xoh8UTs1rogyd4o1_500.jpg

I'll just put it here too.

I'm sad I never met Skip or even saw him coach.

As I said in my email to the Deacon Club last year, Buzz is a terrible representative of my alma mater. Fire him today.

What a fucking joke. Does anyone really think this clown can instill confidence in our players?

Buzz is a bozo. Who would want to take orders from him? Not I.

I agree, although my baseless statistic is more 60/40.

But your statement is not applicable because Wake has no coach. There is a creepy guy in cheap clothes who haunts the bench and press conferences, but I am unsure of his reason for being, and from that clip, apparently so is he.

I'm sad I never met Skip or even saw him coach.

Wound up in a line with him at a Wake football game. He was very cordial and normal to talk to. We talked about golf clubs or something...he mentioned he was headed to a challenging course the next week....I didn't want to bring up basketball. He kept the conversation going and seemed like a sincere, good guy. I remember he was sporting an ACC title ring...it was hard to miss the bling.

Last edited:
Back