• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can the ACC become a quality Power 5 league?

Also, they are terrible to deal with for actual claims. The worst of both worlds. But at least they paid CP3.
The only claim I've had to do they were very generous for the payout on my totaled car. It was a 15-year old BMW and they sent me the website they used to determine value and they paid at "showroom quality" for fewer miles than I had.

The only claim I've had to do they were very generous for the payout on my totaled car. It was a 15-year old BMW and they sent me the website they used to determine value and they paid at "showroom quality" for fewer miles than I had.
You lucked out. That's great.

I was driving back from FL and hit a deer on 95 in Florence, SC driving about 85 mph in my old Lexus (which I owed money on). The car was super fucked. They refused to total the car and fixed it for some reason. I had been a SF guy since I was 16 and told them I was out if they wouldn't total it. They didn't give a shit. The car drove like a dump truck after that. I drove it back to MD straight to a CarMax and lost some cash on the deal. Fuck them. They have gotten very stingy more recently as well. Fighting legitimate claims because they know It's expensive to litigate.

/rantover

You lucked out. That's great.

I was driving back from FL and hit a deer on 95 in Florence, SC driving about 85 mph in my old Lexus (which I owed money on). The car was super fucked. They refused to total the car and fixed it for some reason. I had been a SF guy since I was 16 and told them I was out if they wouldn't total it. They didn't give a shit. The car drove like a dump truck after that. I drove it back to MD straight to a CarMax and lost some cash on the deal. Fuck them. They have gotten very stingy more recently as well. Fighting legitimate claims because they know It's expensive to litigate.

/rantover

They dumped me immediately after my first claim.

I mean the fact that as an insurance agent I would want an alienate a whole group of fans who went to the same school I did who could be potential Insurance customers is amusing.

As of yesterday, they are dropping "UofSC" (which they just adopted a few years ago) and going back to "USC."

Such a clown show.

The whole denial of USC to University of South Carolina always seemed stupid to me. There are more than one OSU (Ohio (not counting pretentious "the"), Oregon, Oklahoma), and South Carolina is name of a state. Southern California is a directional school - albeit a very good one. How can someone pretend to deny a state the use of their initials? There can be more than one USC.

The whole denial of USC to University of South Carolina always seemed stupid to me. There are more than one OSU (Ohio (not counting pretentious "the"), Oregon, Oklahoma), and South Carolina is name of a state. Southern California is a directional school - albeit a very good one. How can someone pretend to deny a state the use of their initials? There can be more than one USC.
That's not the point. Of course they can be USC - the point is, when someone refers to USC, what do you think of? S.Car. or Univ of Southern California? When someone refers to UNC, do you think of Univ. of NC at Chapel Hill, or do you think of the Univ. of Northern Colorado? When someone says OSU, do you think of THE Ohio State, Oregon State, or Oklahoma State? (Though the last one is not as good an example because OSU is not the primary way people refer to Ohio State, to my knowledge)

So, when referring to the USC that is in Columbia SC it is less ambiguous to say S.Car. or something similar...

it is interesting that some schools are well known by their initials -- USC (the real one out West), TCU, UNC, UGA, but others like, say, WFU aren't. Like most mentions in sports media for Texas Christian or the University of Southern CA will be TCU/USC. That's not necessarily the case for UNC or UGA, for example (and there are endless debates on the real UT), but USC and TCU come to mind.

maybe with Kansas it's since UK is Kentucky. Maybe just OU is easier to say than UO? I've never been there, but I've always heard of the University of Oregon as just Oregon.

If you are referring to the trademark action, the only thing the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board did was say SCar can't get a trademark to an interlocking (cursive) "SC" logo because USC has a preexisting trademark to an interlocking (block) "SC" logo and the two logos were too similar.

Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and Oregon State have historically operated under an agreement under which they all may use "OSU". Now that Ohio State has trademarked the word "the," I don't know how that impacts the agreement, if at all.

I presume the reason SCar switched to "UofSC" a few years back is because USC also has a trademark on "USC" in block lettering (which it does). Now that SCar is using "USC" it must be that they have either decided they are willing to fight USC over its "USC" trademark (assuming USC decides to sue over it) or they reached some sort of agreement with USC.

I just think the whole thing is funny because here is this big, bad SEC team that can't be "Carolina" because everyone knows UNC is the real "Carolina" and can't be "USC" because everyone knows SoCal is the real "USC".

Last edited:
Doesn't the trademark "the" apply to every other school (and maybe beyond), not just the other OSUs? It's dumb, but kind of funny. I like that UNC will never be THE University of North Carolina, though.

Doesn't the trademark "the" apply to every other school (and maybe beyond), not just the other OSUs? It's dumb, but kind of funny. I like that UNC will never be THE University of North Carolina, though.
You guys are literally the only people in the world who care about this issue. The level of delusion it takes to legally trademark the word "the" is incomprehensible.

My understanding is that the trademark allows them to sell apparel that just has the word "THE" on it with nothing else. The trademark probably would not give them the right to prevent UNC from selling apparel that said "THE University of North Carolina."

You guys are literally the only people in the world who care about this issue. The level of delusion it takes to legally trademark the word "the" is incomprehensible.
I assume by "you guys" you mean me and other tOSU fans? I've never met/heard of anyone who cares or supports the trademark, but I don't run in rabid fan circles.

Talking about delusion and supporting Jim Harbaugh is fun though. Do you eat chicken?

Will Clawson get that quality D or will the ACC become a quality conference first?

Back