• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catholic Church Thread

History is not Ball State's long suit. His statement was a reach, to say the least, and basically absurd. But it does point to what is most likely and underlying anti-Catholic Church attitude. Many people, who in other ways have been perfectly nice people, and I'm pretty sure Ball State is among them, have shared in this type of anti-Catholicism. What can you say? It's a type of bigotry that is not only tolerated but also to some extent fashionable in our time.

Just for the record, I am not a Catholic.

Please. I'm not anti-catholic. To ignore that the CC has had some serious ethical issues seems absurd.

Ask mf. He's got the formula.

And maybe my historical facts are wrong, but wasn't the Catholic Church A OK with slavery for an awkwardly long period of time and jail one of the greatest minds for suggesting that the earth wasn't the center of the universe? Hard to say how far it science back through its active and intentional efforts.

And look, I'm not anti-catholic. Midnight Christmas mass is awesome.

Not specific to catholics, mang:

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Just saying this is somewhat of a Catholic callout thread, and Catholics weren't the only one to hold on to the ridic slavery beliefs because they were supported biblically. Obviously it doesn't make it any better for the CC.

Last year there were theads titled, "The Catholic Church is a Criminal Enterprise," and similar diatribes from a board mod. Would you be so cavalier if these threads were about Muslims, Jews, Asians, etc...?

You are still crying about a thread I made on the scout boards a year and a half ago? Unfortunately I don't have the time to debate you in depth anymore. I posted an article that appeared in a major magazine and titled the thread to match it. You then stormed off claiming to quit the boards forever after hurling many personal insults at me including that I'd never say the things I say on the boards in person. Anyone who knows me in real life can attest that I will. For good measure I sent you an email explaining that I do not have a prejudice against Catholics and invited you back to the boards. Now you are back and harassing members of the community for falsely perceived bigotry and are rightly being called out for it. Attack me all you want, but leave RJ and others out of it. There is a difference between criticizing an institution and being bigoted against members of that institution solely for their membership.

You are still crying about a thread I made on the scout boards a year and a half ago? Unfortunately I don't have the time to debate you in depth anymore. I posted an article that appeared in a major magazine and titled the thread to match it. You then stormed off claiming to quit the boards forever after hurling many personal insults at me including that I'd never say the things I say on the boards in person. Anyone who knows me in real life can attest that I will. For good measure I sent you an email explaining that I do not have a prejudice against Catholics and invited you back to the boards. Now you are back and harassing members of the community for falsely perceived bigotry and are rightly being called out for it. Attack me all you want, but leave RJ and others out of it. There is a difference between criticizing an institution and being bigoted against members of that institution solely for their membership.

The greatest trick Satan ever pulled was convincing the boards he didn't hate the Catholic Church.

Well said. And now I'm convinced, all Catholics are horrible. Good thread.

i'm not joking. i think people who believe in mythology are silly. i think people who vigorously defend mythology are morons. i don't give a damn if you are "order of the coif" or whatever pompous bullshit you like to spout off to show everybody how smart you think you are.

Just curious Milhouse, do you know what a myth is?

By the way Italy beat Germany today, just in case you missed it.

Really, appreciated the non-Catholics discussing issues intelligently. On the othe side, I got personal message saying my father, finishing his studies to be a Deacon, was a failure at life because he unable to send me to Wake law without me using financiail aid and how pathetic I was for having to wonder how to save my money while he got laid and I had to worry about getting rid og of my "vcard."

Seriously, there really is an anti-Catholic presence on this board and too many people haven't condemned it. Joking around with this is an acceptance that puts you in the same group.

If your buddies make some "gook" jokes, " "nigger" jokes. "spic" jokes, "kike" jokes or others of the type, make it a point to say you aren't on board. Otherwise, you are enabling it.

As for legitimiate issues, having an intelligent discussion and making progress requires lucid arguments and not just attacks.

Who is ignoring them? Can you name a 2,000 year old human istitution that has not had some serious ethical issues from time to time, if not often?

Mf, for one. He appears to weigh murder and child rape against good deeds and determines that on the whole, the church is up.

Actually, I believe in exeuction for child rapists. Unfortunately we can no longer do this in our country. A man who raped a 3 year old and split her from her vagina to anus was spared by a liberal court. The only four justices to dissent to say this wasn't a capital offense were all Catholic.

Spead some more lies bigot. Get together with Rj, Olive Garden and Moon and enjoy.

A small smapling from what I get:

"you are also celarly pro pedophile and pro retard. congrats.:

The response:

irst, about being a retard, I have a degree from W&M in government and econ. I graduated with honors and Order of the Coif from Wake Law and after 12 years of legal practice including working on civil cases against the Catholic Church on this very subject, have taken a full scholarship and stipend to get my PhD in American Politics. Would you care to share your resume?

Second, I am the father of the 3 year old daughter, and the son of a mother who is an adminstrator in a Catholic parish and a father who is a year from completing his studies to be a Deacon. I was an altar boy for seven years. Your mistake that my family and religious upringing, especailly in light of my legal practice, seems odd at best and an immature and unfounded insult in a kind reviewing.

You are welcome to come to any tailgate and discuss either of these with me fain person. I seriously doubt you would say either to my face. Enjoy the wonderful power of anonymous internet slurs.

TheTwinAndreBen the goes:

Congrats on confirming that you are a flailing fucking dork. I knew that already. Also congrats on your shallow pond virginia hick undergrad destination. Winston Harlem must've seemed like the big city when you arrived. You probably also had financial aid at both schools, confirming that your parents were failures as well. Your dad goes to college. Congrats.

Not only did I graduate with honors from Wake, I was also the social chair for the best fraternity there, meaning I was partying and getting laid while you were bugeting your money for the semester and losing bets with the geek squad in the basement of some dorm over whether you would ever lose your vcard.

The insult was meant to be immature. There will be more to come. Have a great week toolbox.

And then:

Wow, you got to go to Wake without aid, then didn't have to have a job, and got to be social chair of your fraternity and got laid and sinced you had not real responsibilities graduated with honors (undergrad, a mere 3.0).

Yeah, my dad was 12 of 14, and the second in his to graduate high school. He was a truck driver who got crushed by a truck when his truck's brakes failed. He spent nine months in the hospital while they tried to reconstruct his boccdy since he lost a kidney, his spleen exploded and and he lost half of capacitty in his lung. He got Hep C from a blood transfusion, wrecking his liver. Despite all of this, he graduated the same year I did, eventually getting his degree in 96.

He went on, feeding us, and made sure my mom also got her degree in 2006. Before that he got his masters from ODU in 2004. When we had nothing, he fed us, and I don't know how.

Since that you were rich. I don't know why I am supposed to be ashamed of getting academic scholarships that you could never hope to get simply because you were rich.

Now to the point. Please come and see me to insult my father and my child. I'll give you a beer from our tailgate in the Gold Lot. I can only assume since you are so superior, you must be in the same lot.

So you will come see me a Liberty? Should be fun.

Back