• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

What if Superman had been homeschooled by a real conservative evangelical family?

what if a mobster in the 30's found him? and you made the origin story a film noir based around WWII and superman is now the most powerful gangster in America and the government asks his help to kill Hitler but he really doesn't give a shit?

CBM: The Lego Batman Movie premieres (91% on RT)

Also the Nolan films haven't aged well. Still good but it's not an everlasting formula.

The problem with taking Superman dark is that if you take a character who can punch his way out of any problem and put him in a world where that is acceptable, that takes away much of tension of the character. Make him unafraid to use those powers and you have a menace. That's not a problem in itself but you've got to work to make him a legit hero.

Another problem is the movies need to embrace intrepid reporter Clark Kent. Give Clark and Lois something to investigate. Give them an overlying issue besides just the presence of Superman in Metropolis.

Superman/Clark could also be used to address some very current issues. He United urban and rural. He's a refugee who represents truth, justice, and the American way. A Kansas farm boy who moves to the big city, gets a job as an investigative reporter, and falls in love with a city girl coworker and rival can be good story on its own.

I disagree that the the Nolan films have aged poorly. Why do you think they have?

Go back and find my post from a few months ago after I watched The Dark Knight Rises. And compare it to my post from the day it premiered. That should give you an indication.

there are great Superman scripts out there that studios can't make because they're too risky with such an iconic character. there was a superman spec script on the blacklist a few years ago titled "Man of Tomorrow" that was absolutely awesome but couldn't get made in a million years because of the liberties it takes with the canon.

marvel has done well generally following cannon with the avengers etc., but with superman it could really use a fresh take. instead they play it mostly safe and it's always mostly boring.

Care to give a little synopsis of the "Man of Tomorrow" script, or more precisely why its better than current versions?

I read one online. Seems fine. Just not a Superman vs Batman film.

Nah I watched TDK the other night on TNT. Still way better than any Marvel movie. Let me know when someone wins an acting Oscar from one of those.

#hottake incoming

Never really liked Christian Bale as batman. Not bad just pretty mediocre.

Not that hot of a take.

Nah I watched TDK the other night on TNT. Still way better than any Marvel movie. Let me know when someone wins an acting Oscar from one of those.

While a fair point, to discount the death of Ledger in that win may be a little forgetful. (though I would have voted for him)

So Flash is clearly doing the two-episode Gorilla Grodd arc to coincide with promo for Kong: Skull Island. Nice work.

What if superman grew up in the inner city and just thought he was really really good at playground bball

What if superman grew up in the inner city and just thought he was really really good at playground bball

Change it from the "inner city" to Upstate SC and you've described the Zion Williamson story.

Logan sitting at 95% currently, with these gems: "Star Hugh Jackman isn't just giving us the definitive X-Men movie; it could just be the definitive comic book movie" and "A sensational film worthy of having a special place next to titles as 'Unbreakable', 'The Incredibles' and 'The Dark Knight'."

I wouldn't mess with that part, that's the good part. My problem is with the goody-goody all American shit + using a pair of glasses as a secret identity. Throughout the history of literature, whenever God's have lived amongst men they were worshipped and/or or killed. The Superman cannon doesn't give a convincing explanation for Superman avoiding that same fate.

isn't this sort of the exact thesis for the snyder murderverse though?

Superman is worshiped and killed in canon. Not sure I understand the premise.

I'm only familiar with Superman being killed by Doomsday, not his being killed by the American population out of fear, and regarding worship, I'm not talking about celebrity worship, I'm talking about religious idolatry, the kind that would override the political process.

If a God suddenly showed up on earth and people knew about it there would be chaos.

Back