• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The stinger at the end is the first time in a while I can remember the audience around me not understanding the reference.

Comic book lore, especially Marvel, gets pretty damn esoteric and conceptual once you get to the big baddies like Thanos, Galactus, and Dormammu.

Last edited:
The stinger at the end is the first time in a while I can remember the audience around me not understanding the reference.

It was a pretty standard post credits scene. Anybody who didn’t get that probably wouldn’t have gotten a few others like the one that introduced the twins.

Just got in from IW and very much enjoyed it. I’ll wait for others to post spoilers before I dive in.

I thought the movie was just the right length to not be too long.

People in my theater clapped when certain heroes showed up. The also clapped at the post credits.

If your nerd boner last more than four days, you really need to just see the movie.

Spoilers will be fair game at 7:00 tonight (48 hours). Good luck using Tapatalk.

I think people who hadn’t seen all the films could get it. They may not understand the full significance but it doesn’t matter. Two characters in the film come to mind. One we knew. The other we didn’t. Both played similar roles. If you had seen the films, one is an OMG! moment. If you hadn’t, both moments have similar relevance and fit just fine in the story.

It’s after 7:00 pm so spoilers are fair game from this point forward.

I wish the camera had lingered a bit longer because the idea that the Collector had a never nude in Blue Man group body paint in his collection is pretty hilarious.

Obviously, most of the deaths in Infinity War are not going to stick. All of the dead that were snapped out of existence will be back. But will any of the other deaths stick? Loki’s in particular seems like it should. Pretty sure Gamora is in the Soul World.

I agree that Hel wouldn’t have made a good replacement for Lady Death. I don’t think that switch would have made sense if they had tried to do that.

Captain Marvel will obviously be in the next one. I’m curious if any of the characters that they got rights to will make their first appearance in it. Silver Surfer jumps to mind but seems doubtful.

What's interesting is that about 6 months ago, the Guardians comic book was going through a story line where Gamora came back to life and left part of herself in the spirit world.

Just wanted to drop this observation that I haven't seen elsewhere, the end of the movie was practically taken straight from the last few panels of the Infinity Gauntlet series, where Thanos is just chillin' out on his farm, just like the movie. Here are 2 of the last handful of panels:

5393896990048256.png

4701313548681216.png

Main difference being that these images are after he lost the gems but in both he's content with his new station in life.

Well, I thought that was interesting at least.

Also interesting was how so many theater attendees left saying "I can't believe the movie ended like that" and my initial reaction was "how else did you expect it to end?" then I remembered that not everybody is an obsessive nerd who has spent decades reading and re-reading all things Thanos and that most folks don't know the details of the Infinity Gauntlet series.

I really wish he had accumulated the gems like he did in the Thanos Quest series. In that, he used guile and deception, in addition to raw strength to show just what a grand tactician he is, rather than the movie where he acquired all the stones by wrecking shit or threatening someone's pal. That's the nittiest of picks and not a complaint. Speaking of wrecking shit, I hope there's a deleted scene showing either the battle at Xandar and/or the beginning of the battle with the Asgardians.

Bottom line - this is it for me, the big one, the one I've looked forward to more than all others before it. Disappointment would have been crushing, like the second FF movie (Silver Surfer is the only character > Thanos for me). I was nowhere near disappointed. This movie goes into my top 10 lifetime flicks, not just Marvel, not just comic books. Not that I have a top 10 ready to list, but I see this as one I'll be watching over and over again.

Back to Asgardians, there must have been some directive from high up at Marvel Studios of "fuck those guys". I'm sure Valkyrie's around somewhere but dang, there's just nothing more to say about them.

For deaths, my predictions is we're 100% done with Loki, but Gamora is in Soulworld and that's going to be relevant in the sequel.

Just wanted to drop this observation that I haven't seen elsewhere, the end of the movie was practically taken straight from the last few panels of the Infinity Gauntlet series, where Thanos is just chillin' out on his farm, just like the movie. Here are 2 of the last handful of panels:

That's happened a lot more than people have noticed. The scene in Age of Ultron with Quicksilver and Hawkeye where Quicksilver dies was mostly ripped straight out of the Avengers comics somewhere in the 50ish range I think. Obviously he didn't die there but it was a nice nod.

So not being a comic expert, the only thing I didn’t really like was the characters who “dusted” away were mostly the ones that we know aren’t going to be gone for long due to knowing more sequels are planned: Black Panther, basically all the GotG, Spider-man. If they had done that with Tony, Thor, or Cap first I think the scene would have resonated a little bit more because you’d at least question a little more whether they would be back

So is Valkyrie, Korg etc from Ragnarok all dead? Or 50% dead? Couldn’t tell from the beginning whether the Asgardians were completely wiped out

I really wish Falcon and War Machine were better. War Machine is a crappy version of Iron Man and Falcon is a crappier version of War Machine.

And what happened to Scarlet Witch’s accent?

I think Falcon stands on his own as a character. He has own personality and his own set of powers. I agree that War Machine is just an Iron Man knock off.

Last edited:
So not being a comic expert, the only thing I didn’t really like was the characters who “dusted” away were mostly the ones that we know aren’t going to be gone for long due to knowing more sequels are planned: Black Panther, basically all the GotG, Spider-man. If they had done that with Tony, Thor, or Cap first I think the scene would have resonated a little bit more because you’d at least question a little more whether they would be back

This two parter is the swan song for the OG Avengers. You'll get your resonating deaths next time around, just you wait.

So is Valkyrie, Korg etc from Ragnarok all dead? Or 50% dead? Couldn’t tell from the beginning whether the Asgardians were completely wiped out

Good question! I don't think you missed anything, those two just weren't accounted for.

I really wish Falcon and War Machine were better. War Machine is a crappy version of Iron Man and Falcon is a crappier version of War Machine.

And what happened to Scarlet Witch’s accent?

I've always thought Falcon was on the lamer side, somewhere closer to Hawkeye's class, though ultimately I think even Hawkeye brings more to the table. Wanda Madonna-ed her accent.

I think Falcon stands on his own as a character. He has own personality and his own set of powers. I agree that War Machine is just an Iron Man knock off.

Maybe in the comics, but not in the movies. He can fly and has weapons, but doesn’t have armor.

I also loved Bucky just shooting at the bad guys with a regular gun. No lasers, no explosives, just bullets. Yet Rabbit was impressed.

Back