• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 123: Best Managed CT Ever. Thanks Rubbins! Hops PM Rubbins Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to be honest that I was never a fan of munting (man bunting) when I played. But my team was also never really in contention for championships. We were definitely more of a party team (and won the bar olympics for our league once or twice). I don't really have a problem with girls bunting, but I rarely did it (maybe only if it was a close game and we had runners on base and I thought it would be helpful). I loved the feeling of getting a good foot on the ball and sending it over the heads of dudes who had cheated in assuming I couldn't kick. Definitely didn't have a good kick every time, but the solid ones were pretty money. And we also had some really fast catchers in our league who were hard to bunt on because they would totally throw people out all the time/peg them in the back.

This guy who used to be our WAKA rep in DC now lives in New Orleans and started an all girls kickball league, in addition to the co-ed one he runs. That would be pretty fun I think.

People bunt in kickball? Can you also draw a walk? That sounds awful.

I have definitely seen people walk. It was also usually the super serious teams that tried to draw a walk. Most of the more fun teams/not as super competitive teams, would at least attempt to kick the ball assuming it was somewhere near the plate.

yes there are walks. And if a guy is walked he automatically gets 2nd base, and if a girl is next in the lineup she has the option to take first instead of kicking.

I can't think of anything that would make the great Franklin DELANO Roosevelt roll over in his grave more than learning that adults playing KICKBALL intentionally drew walks and bunted.

This really is Obama's America.

I would get angry if the Cardinals of winston-salem kickball were doing a bunch of bullshit small ball taking walks and shit, I bet.

But that line between playing to win and playing to have fun is a tough one to walk. I'm not the most competitive dude (though I am awesome at most things), but I understand it when people are. Losing sucks, and if you could have bunted one more time to win a game vs a soft fly, I can see the argument for it. Taking a walk seems bush league to me though.

I would get angry if the Cardinals of winston-salem kickball were doing a bunch of bullshit small ball taking walks and shit, I bet.

But that line between playing to win and playing to have fun is a tough one to walk. I'm not the most competitive dude (though I am awesome at most things), but I understand it when people are. Losing sucks, and if you could have bunted one more time to win a game vs a soft fly, I can see the argument for it. Taking a walk seems bush league to me though.

Humility excluded, of course.

humility is just another thing i'm awesome at

But that line between playing to win and playing to have fun is a tough one to walk
. I'm not the most competitive dude (though I am awesome at most things), but I understand it when people are. Losing sucks, and if you could have bunted one more time to win a game vs a soft fly, I can see the argument for it. Taking a walk seems bush league to me though.

So much truth in that.

Honestly, if we had big fields, I'd understand the not bunting thing. Most bunts end up getting to the third baseman/pitcher on our fields anyway, especially w/ how short a distance the pitches have to go (they come in real fast).

And if a pitcher is consistently putting it wide of the plate you can't really go after it because you have a pretty narrow hitters box you have to stay in to legally hit the ball. So sometimes you don't really have a choice but to take the walk.

yeah with the size of the field, it's hard to keep it in the infield without bunting.

I mean, if the choice is between taking a walk and striking out/fouling out by kicking at pitches way out of the zone, I'm taking a walk and then using my SPEED to score on the basepaths. I think I'm gonna take an UNPOPULAR OPINION and say I don't hate bunting or walking if the situation necessitates it. I wouldn't ever make them my primary strategies, but I see the UTILity.

I mean, if the choice is between taking a walk and striking out/fouling out by kicking at pitches way out of the zone, I'm taking a walk and then using my SPEED to score on the basepaths. I think I'm gonna take an UNPOPULAR OPINION and say I don't hate bunting or walking if the situation necessitates it. I wouldn't ever make them my primary strategies, but I see the UTILity.

Good, Townie is rdy to be a W-S kickball star. Brasky not so much. It's all situational.

Good, Townie is rdy to be a W-S kickball star. Brasky not so much. It's all situational.

Yeah I was never gonna play anyways. Running has turned me in a selfish narcissistic athlete. I don't have time to waste playing sports with the unwashed.

MAN WTF is with all these stupid hashtags for days of the week. I can deal with the #TBT (throwback thursday) shit because it's kind of interesting. BUT now we've got #MCM (man crush monday) are you srs!? GTFO millennials.

we play on softball fields, hence the no man-bunt policy. you'd load the bases up almost immediately.

we also can't hit 2 guys in a row more than once so a lineup is usually B,G,B,B,G,B,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back