• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 163: ficticious childhood achievements discussed here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think gonna delete it though it's too confusing I just wanna see the peep I follow tweets not everybody else's and shit

TurboTax with free state filing this year! Tell me why I shouldn't use TurboTax if my taxes are pretty straightforward and my investments simple.

I've used TurboTax since I was 16. If there's a reason not to, I don't know it (or haven't made enough money yet for it to matter).

TurboTax with free state filing this year! Tell me why I shouldn't use TurboTax if my taxes are pretty straightforward and my investments simple.

Is it completely (for state and federal) free for a simple e-file? It looks that way from the front of their website.

Depends on which options you choose. Free to file but you pay for the services either by taking it out of your return or up front.

I've used TaxAct the last few years and it has worked great, as well, especially for simple filings like mine have been.

I've used TaxAct the last few years and it has worked great, as well, especially for simple filings like mine have been.
That's what I use too. Got a little more complicated for 2013 taxes since I sold mutual funds and bought a house, but I still felt like it was sufficient.

Not sure at what point, if ever, my taxes will get more complicated to the point where I need to pay someone what I assume is hundreds of dollars to do the taxes for me. Is that more when you make a ton of money? Do lots with investments? Sell a house? Have multiple jobs/work from home? Have kids?

I've used TurboTax since I was 16. If there's a reason not to, I don't know it (or haven't made enough money yet for it to matter).

Intuit lobbies against rule-changes that would have the IRS do tax returns for people taking just personal exemptions and standard deduction and save people in that situation time and money.

I still use TurboTax, but that's a sorta compelling reason not to if you're looking for one.

I always use turbo tax and my taxes are fairly complicated. My father in law passed away this past year, so I'm not sure how complicated it will be this year.

I used to use TurboTax or similar product when I was going my own taxes. We got a "tax" guy a few years ago though and it's been nice not having to deal with it and second guess. Basically we got it because we bought our house together the year before we got married, so we were filing separately, but had the house together (maybe it's simple? but we didn't want to deal with it). Now with house, kid, figuring out taxes for nanny payments, etc, I don't mind paying a guy $110 a year and being able to ask him questions when necessary.

"Only time, a woman made a man a millionaire
Was when that man was a former billionaire, how trill is that?"

I've used TaxAct the past couple of years but was thinking of hiring somebody this year because I bought a house. Worth it?

no. buying a house doesn't confuse things much unless you haven't itemized before. even if that's the case taxact will get you covered.

Yeah you probs only need to hire someone if you don't have trust estate stuff or own equity in private companies or stuff like that

Last edited:
Just had to have a conversation with a cop while stoned. Fortunately, I had eaten a cracker rather than smoked and it was just settling in, but still.

Someone chopped down a small tree across the street. I just noticed it yesterday afternoon, but figured the owners had decided to do it or something. Guess not. Dudes who rent there are not home.

Oh shit, HE TOOK MY NAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back