• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 504.2.11: And you can hold me, like he held her, and I will chat here like nothing matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
grew up in a sweet potato casserole thanksgiving family

but also mashed potatoes are generally just whatever -- many superior forms of potatoes
Agree with this take. We do sweet potato casserole or this amazing gorgonzola au gratin potato dish plus mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, and the mashed potatoes are never the star.

I thought BBD didn’t like me but we are the same. At least when it comes to taters.

my regular mashed potatoes have the usual suspects (salt, butter, cream, garlic powder) but lately I’ve been adding Parmesan cheese too - nice little hit of salty/cheesy in there.

Mashed potatoes at thanksgiving are primarily a gravy receptacle for me though. Overshadowed by other sides but still important.

I'd say slightly underrated to properly rated. The early albums absolutely ripped, but the 2000s output was inconsistent - each of the late albums had a couple of songs that probably would have launched a band but the albums overall were lackluster. You could argue they became a bit of a singles band down the road (after Be Here Now). The live show could be really, really great or Liam might not show up at all. Don't forget they are one of the biggest bands to come out of the UK since the Beatles. The goal for this band seemed to always have been to write bombastic, epic rock songs and present a larger than life image and they did it as good if not better than anyone.
Could not have put it better myself.

Mashed potatoes sucked when we were growing up because the whole nutrition establishment thought fat was evil so there was not enough butter and cream in the mashers.

Mashed potatoes should be a sometimes food and have a truly ungodly amount of dairy in them
Equal parts butter and potatoes is the only way

Had to look at the recipe I use and it's 2:1 potatoes to butter. Glad I clarified that before buying butter this weekend.

I'd say slightly underrated to properly rated. The early albums absolutely ripped, but the 2000s output was inconsistent - each of the late albums had a couple of songs that probably would have launched a band but the albums overall were lackluster. You could argue they became a bit of a singles band down the road (after Be Here Now). The live show could be really, really great or Liam might not show up at all. Don't forget they are one of the biggest bands to come out of the UK since the Beatles. The goal for this band seemed to always have been to write bombastic, epic rock songs and present a larger than life image and they did it as good if not better than anyone.
Agree (and w/townie too). They are very much a what coulda been kinda band in that the Gallagher's were so volatile (looking at you Liam) that they just could not ride that lightning.

Counterpoint: post better.
In those days, it wasn't enough to post better... you had to post at the right TIMES. If someone had used up their rep for the day you were SOL (and no one was remembering to go back and posrep when they had it again). Plus you were actively competing against the shitty posts taking in negrep. I posit west-coast posters were at a disadvantage and should have their reputation scores historically adjusted.

And there were a lot more shitty posters back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back