• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad we can't say the same about your posting.

Boom, killshot. Go wash that cheese out of your beard, champ, I mean, "chump."

How do you know I have a beard? Creepy, man.

Also, Palma in the afternoon.

talk about weird: ferrell and reilly playing it basically straight until the very end

Very cool. We need people like that. My uncle--math major, doctor, smartest person I know--is Catholic.

General question: how many hours of actual work do you think you do in a week and, of that work, what percentage could be done by a well-trained monkey?

I would estimate 20-25 hours a week, with probably 25% being outsource-able to monkeys.

Ugh. Some weeks it over 60 hours, easy (time sheet for October had about 300 hours on it, but that's a record breaker by more than a 50 hour margin). Can monkey's drive cars? I log about 20,000 driving miles a year for ol' Unccy Sam. When self-driving Tesla's hit NC, I'm going to recapture my whole fucking life in time doing reading/work while driving.

Other weeks the fed. employee shtick really comes home. I've had weeks where I do maybe 10 hours of work, half of which is monkey-able.

If you guys wanna have an "it's not that bad reality check" then visit this bad boy:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=288337

What is your daily/weekly/monthly record?

Corporate associate.
Month: 324 (no padding)
Week: 89 (included three back-to-back all nighters, was honestly concerned my heart would stop/I may die)
Day: 23 (would have been 24 but I ate food at some point)

NYC V5, M&A midlevel

Month: 402
Week: 105
Day: 23

I did 460 in a month at trial a few months ago. It honestly wasn’t that terrible once the numbness set in. 8 to midnight every single day—a couple of all-nighters offset a few 12 hour-days.

Then I billed 75 hours last week in the office and nearly died. It’s a totally different experience.

Second Year Corporate Associate:

Worst month: 240
Worst week: 85
Worst day: 20

Latham (from what I can remember):
Month: 280ish
Week: 100
Day: 21

In-house:
Month: Lol really hard to say. Probably like 170 :D
Week: Probably 50
Day: 10

At a corporate/IP boutique now - my wost weeks/months/days were at a midlaw firm:

Month: 350ish (can't remember the actual number, but it was somewhere in there)
Week: 147
Day: 22.3 (I literally fell asleep on my keyboard on days 2 and 3 of a 3 day all-nighter, otherwise these would have been 24x2)

I was legitimately concerned that I would die after each of these. Maybe I'm just not as tough as others, but I don't get how anyone can work at that type of pace for more than 1-2 years.

If high school basketball games sold beer scouting would be so much more fun.

sweet sweet self important lawyers

It's 100% a thing. It probably comes from the type of person that wants to become a lawyer, and then what they do to us in law school. I used to keep it a lot more real than I do now. It's a giant echo chamber with a combination of, "I want to impress upstream leadership," and, "fucking Lisa down the hall told me she billed 290 last month. Fuck. Man, I fucking hate Lisa. I can't let her rub that in my face again." So lawyers just kill ourselves a lot.

I hate about 99% of the lawyers I meet. Which is fairly consistent with how much I hate myself, so I've got that going for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back