• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Bringing Back the $%&*?#@($#*@)#(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water. It used to be basically free. Now it's $7 at the airport.

Bottled water companies aren't selling you water, they're selling you plastic bottles!!!! And then dumping them in the ocean and suffocating our nature!!

Does anyone have a good example of inflation hitting your life? Shit is sneaky.

Packaged food like cereal or canned goods. The boxes have shrank over the years, or at least the product in the box is less. Or a recipe asking for a 15oz can of tomatoes which at the time was probably a standard size. Now they’re 14 for some mysterious reason.

Also member how much larger fun size Halloween candy or Easter candy like Cadbury eggs were when you were younger? You’re not misremembering. The Halloween candy I hand out now is a joke.

Also member how much larger fun size Halloween candy or Easter candy like Cadbury eggs were when you were younger? You’re not misremembering. The Halloween candy I hand out now is a joke.

Thanks Michele Obama and Michael Bloomberg.

It helps that IPAs are very popular, those are fairly easy to make and make quickly.

Burial is great.

larger craft breweries are starting to feel the pinch since people want local. Deschutes was gonna open in Asheville and then decided on Roanoke but has put that on hold. Ballast Point sold for a billion dollars a few years ago but some random Chicago brewery just bought them and they closed their taproom in VA. Green Flash had to close their East Coast brewery, too.

Sierra Nevada and New Belgium still seem to be doing ok, though, so I guess we'll see what happens.

One of my students thinks it's hilarious to google shit your random 16 year old boy finds funny on my school computer. Basically some shit that would appeal to my boy GTB. Today's entry, "How do I tell my wife I'm gay?" And now I have butt plugs continuing to pop up on my targeted adds. Good times

The TV price deflation is awesome. About to buy a couple when we get a new house.

On that note, we saw a house yesterday that we loved. It's an extra 10-15 min or so each way on the commute for me (30-45 instead of 20-35), which isn't that big a deal. The main drawback is that it's the last house on a residential street that dead ends about 50 yards further into a church parking lot. The church is on a main road, and provided a ton of buffer, which is nice (and I don't think there's really any church traffic on the residential road). But the problem is, it's one of those old low-level churches built in the 80s that is quite the eyesore (in my opinion). Pic of the back of the church below. Should this be a deal breaker?

qUR8629v28QbTg6r8

The TV price deflation is awesome. About to buy a couple when we get a new house.

On that note, we saw a house yesterday that we loved. It's an extra 10-15 min or so each way on the commute for me (30-45 instead of 20-35), which isn't that big a deal. The main drawback is that it's the last house on a residential street that dead ends about 50 yards further into a church parking lot. The church is on a main road, and provided a ton of buffer, which is nice (and I don't think there's really any church traffic on the residential road). But the problem is, it's one of those old low-level churches built in the 80s that is quite the eyesore (in my opinion). Pic of the back of the church below. Should this be a deal breaker?

qUR8629v28QbTg6r8

I'd go by there on Sunday morning and see what the deal is. I'd also checkout their morning weekday preschool dropoff and pickup if they have one to see if there's going to be a carpool line in front of your house everyday, twice a day. No idea about the health of the church, but what if it sold for redevelopment of the 7.7-acre lot ? It would either be some sort of McMansion duplex or townhome development, if they cold get rezoning, which would probably pit you against Simonini or someone like that.

Also, houses on the opposite side of Providence Road have a completely different school assignment. You can't trust CMS no matter where you live, but you'd be right on the boundary between MPHS and East Meck. No telling what that might look like when you have kids.

Lastly, turning left onto Providence Road at certain times of the day is probably impossble.

Not trying to unsell you on the house, but those are the things I'd consider. The church is the main thing though.

Last edited:

qUR8629v28QbTg6r8

that sunday morning traffic, doe

larger craft breweries are starting to feel the pinch since people want local. Deschutes was gonna open in Asheville and then decided on Roanoke but has put that on hold. Ballast Point sold for a billion dollars a few years ago but some random Chicago brewery just bought them and they closed their taproom in VA. Green Flash had to close their East Coast brewery, too.

Sierra Nevada and New Belgium still seem to be doing ok, though, so I guess we'll see what happens.

FWIW, New Belgium is being acquired by a subsidiary of Kirin in an all cash deal; it was announced mid-December.

FWIW, New Belgium is being acquired by a subsidiary of Kirin in an all cash deal; it was announced mid-December.

yep I posted about it in the beer thread when it happened. forgot to mention it here. I think a lot of the Asheville employees were unhappy because the longer-tenured employees (read: mostly in Colorado) made out well

Say Hey Deac loved him some Krystal man. I think we drove to Elon one time just to get one. I always found both that and WC p nasty. There was a WC around the corner from me in Columbus conveniently on the way back from a neighborhood bar my roommates and I frequented, but I would almost always go for a Hound Dogs 'za with the spicy sauce instead. That sauce was spicy, damn. Good shit though.

RIP Say Hey

There is no better fast food burger, nay, potentially no better burger in the world, than In-N-Out. Shake Shack can't hold a candle to it.

lolol this terrible advice

Man the Chinese really will eat anything, the source market for the 2019-nCoV was selling rats, snakes, wolves and koalas.

I'd go by there on Sunday morning and see what the deal is. I'd also checkout their morning weekday preschool dropoff and pickup if they have one to see if there's going to be a carpool line in front of your house everyday, twice a day. No idea about the health of the church, but what if it sold for redevelopment of the 7.7-acre lot ? It would either be some sort of McMansion duplex or townhome development, if they cold get rezoning, which would probably pit you against Simonini or someone like that.

Also, houses on the opposite side of Providence Road have a completely different school assignment. You can't trust CMS no matter where you live, but you'd be right on the boundary between MPHS and East Meck. No telling what that might look like when you have kids.

Lastly, turning left onto Providence Road at certain times of the day is probably impossble.

Not trying to unsell you on the house, but those are the things I'd consider. The church is the main thing though.

All good points. Thanks. Didn't realize how easy it was going to be to figure out exactly where I was talking about, but oh well. They don't have preschool/daycare currently at all, which is nice. Have been told the vast majority of the Sunday traffic comes from Providence, which makes sense, but probably good to verify as you suggested.

We thought about the redevelopment potential, but also have no clue what the financial health/willingness to move of the church is. Initially, I thought it would be ideal if it was turned into a nice little shopping center, but then you're looking at the back of that with dumpsters, etc. (not ideal). I'd think a nicely done townhome/duplex community would be good for value, but not fun to deal with the year+ of development. It's currently listed (by owner) way too high, in my opinion, so we might put in a low ball offer and see what comes of it.

You don't need to worry about retail on that site. That would never get approved. But senior living or a denser residential develoment would probably get approved if I had to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back