• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNC-Pembroke is the only Native American Serving 4-year institution on the east coast. Not surprised at all by the disrespect on this board.

UNC-Pembroke is the only Native American Serving 4-year institution on the east coast. Not surprised at all by the disrespect on this board.

Serving? Can’t Native Americans attend school anywhere they want?

I assume you meant a Tribal University or College, which actually they are not according to our federal government:

https://sites.ed.gov/whiaiane/tribes-tcus/tribal-colleges-and-universities/

Which might have to do with the Lumbee not being recognized nationally, even though NC has recognized them for over a century.

Last edited:
“Serving” is the commonly used term for higher education institutions that have a disproportionately high percentage of a racial/ethnic population, particularly in schools that were not originally founded to only serve people from that group. This includes Hispanic Serving Institutions, Native American Serving Non-Tribal Institutions, and Minority Serving Institutions.

But thanks for assuming I don’t know what the hell I’m talking about. Hard to believe a teacher would choose to assume I’m wrong and make a claim about a tribe rather than just look it up. It’s hard to call you lazy for doing more work to be wrong.

Last edited:
Probably more to do about its location in BFE and a town of less than 3,000 than what you assume is a lack of respect for Native Americans but ok!

…there was a time years ago when folks would drive from Cumberland County to Robeson County so’s to dine at the Cracker Barrel in Lumberton…before there was a Cracker Barrel in Cumberland County.

I mean, Robeson County had that going on back in the day.

Who was the dude on the old board who posted incredulously at how shocked he was that there was no Starbucks in Lumberton?

Another thing Robeson County used to have going on was a pretty decent men’s clothing store. Joe Sugar’s in St. Pauls.

I think ~ 100 years on they mostly relocated to Fayetteville…

We aren’t disrespecting penbroke because of who it serves, but because it’s a bad school in a worse town. I don’t have to hate indigenous peoples to mock pembroke.

Yeah, Lumberton is quite possibly the shittiest town in NC. Had a former soccer player that ran CC at Pembroke and he liked it, though. Also, I didn't realize until I was listening to a podcast on him the other day that Andrew Jackson just used to straight fuck shit up old school in Salisbury until they basically ran him out of town for staying drunk and banging other people's wives. So I can't decide if that makes me hate Salisbury less or more, because fuck Andrew Jackson.

About once a month I remember when I was waiting to get into a packed bar and when it was my turn to go in the bouncer asked for my id, and I opened my wallet and a Reggie Miller basketball card fell out, and the bouncer said "Nice Reggie Miller card, dude" all sarcastically and everyone in line laughed, and if there ever was a moment where I would've shot myself in the face if I had had a gun that was probably it.

Yeah, Lumberton is quite possibly the shittiest town in NC. Had a former soccer player that ran CC at Pembroke and he liked it, though. Also, I didn't realize until I was listening to a podcast on him the other day that Andrew Jackson just used to straight fuck shit up old school in Salisbury until they basically ran him out of town for staying drunk and banging other people's wives. So I can't decide if that makes me hate Salisbury less or more, because fuck Andrew Jackson.

yeah Lumberton is the worst. my mom grew up there and even as a kid visiting my grandma's house you knew how shitty the town was. visited her a couple of times there while I was at Wake and then she finally moved away after her health deteriorated. went back in like 2012 for her funeral and was amazing how much worse it seemed. can't imagine it now.

my hometown of Pensacola is super proud of Andrew Jackson since he was once the governor of Florida and involved in the wars that ceded control of it to the US. there's a bunch of stuff named after him, a statue downtown, and one of if not the nicest restaurants in town is called Jackson's.

Last edited:
Isn’t the section of US 74 that runs through that beautiful region of NC named Andrew Jackson highway?

yeah Lumberton is the worst. my mom grew up there and even as a kid visiting my grandma's house you knew how shitty the town was. visited her a couple of times there while I was at Wake and then she finally moved away after her health deteriorated. went back in like 2012 for her funeral and was amazing how much worse it seemed. can't imagine it now.

my hometown of Pensacola is super proud of Andrew Jackson since he was once the governor of Florida and involved in the wars that ceded control of it to the US. there's a bunch of stuff named after him, a statue downtown, and one of if not the nicest restaurants in town is called Jackson's.

Y'all obviously never did the drive from DC to Charleston once a month. Lumberton is the best stop for Chick-fila, gas and yes Starbucks. It is right off the highway, never a line and its a nice breather after getting through Virginia. This is my only experience with Lumberton though.

I could feel some force compelling me to check the chat thread.

I'm from one of those 5 (actual) shithole counties. For all the talk of "Lumberton is the worst", my town, my county even, viewed Lumberton as a "going to the big city" get-away, what with their movie theaters (plural!) and Wendy's, truly exotic.

Lumberton has had Starbucks on the Interstate for several years now. The Dunkin is new though.

Joe Sugars shut down their store in St. Paul after one of the 2 apocalyptic hurricanes in the last 5 or so years. They did move to Fayetteville and I think they're mail order only.

As for UNC-Pembroke (still have to catch myself before saying "Pembroke St.") it does its job I suppose. I know some smart, high achievers that went there because they wanted to go to college but not leave the area. I'm not saying that's the typical student, but they're there and these folks got their degree, maybe advanced degrees and went on to professional success.

Yes 74 (then 74/76) is called the Andrew Jackson Highway.

Looping back to the Tweet that started this whole sub-thread, those numbers would be even more dramatic if reported as percent of pop. Those are very rural, very sparsely populated counties. Columbus has a population of 56k and lost 7k. Not to bring politics here but I guess those 7,000 figured out Trump wasn't able to bring back (and never would) the shuttered lumber mills like they swore he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back