• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXLIV: eceteras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could feel some force compelling me to check the chat thread.

I'm from one of those 5 (actual) shithole counties. For all the talk of "Lumberton is the worst", my town, my county even, viewed Lumberton as a "going to the big city" get-away, what with their movie theaters (plural!) and Wendy's, truly exotic.

Lumberton has had Starbucks on the Interstate for several years now. The Dunkin is new though.

Joe Sugars shut down their store in St. Paul after one of the 2 apocalyptic hurricanes in the last 5 or so years. They did move to Fayetteville and I think they're mail order only.

As for UNC-Pembroke (still have to catch myself before saying "Pembroke St.") it does its job I suppose. I know some smart, high achievers that went there because they wanted to go to college but not leave the area. I'm not saying that's the typical student, but they're there and these folks got their degree, maybe advanced degrees and went on to professional success.

Yes 74 (then 74/76) is called the Andrew Jackson Highway.

Looping back to the Tweet that started this whole sub-thread, those numbers would be even more dramatic if reported as percent of pop. Those are very rural, very sparsely populated counties. Columbus has a population of 56k and lost 7k. Not to bring politics here but I guess those 7,000 figured out Trump wasn't able to bring back (and never would) the shuttered lumber mills like they swore he would.
Had a buddy who use to coach football down in Hyde County NC. Holy hell that place is wild. You can feel the inbreeding in the air, the people just all seem off with elongated sloped foreheads and 5 last names.

About once a month I remember when I was waiting to get into a packed bar and when it was my turn to go in the bouncer asked for my id, and I opened my wallet and a Reggie Miller basketball card fell out, and the bouncer said "Nice Reggie Miller card, dude" all sarcastically and everyone in line laughed, and if there ever was a moment where I would've shot myself in the face if I had had a gun that was probably it.

When I think about this story, for some reason you are wearing headgear, suspenders, and a pocket protector. And it isn't a Reggie Miller card, it's a Magic: The Gathering card in a big plastic protector that makes a noise when it hits the ground.

Either way, I love that you still remember it.

As for UNC-Pembroke (still have to catch myself before saying "Pembroke St.") it does its job I suppose. I know some smart, high achievers that went there because they wanted to go to college but not leave the area. I'm not saying that's the typical student, but they're there and these folks got their degree, maybe advanced degrees and went on to professional success.

Hmmm... Sounds like you hate Indians.

When I think about this story, for some reason you are wearing headgear, suspenders, and a pocket protector. And it isn't a Reggie Miller card, it's a Magic: The Gathering card in a big plastic protector that makes a noise when it hits the ground.

This is *chef's kiss*

About once a month I remember when I was waiting to get into a packed bar and when it was my turn to go in the bouncer asked for my id, and I opened my wallet and a Reggie Miller basketball card fell out, and the bouncer said "Nice Reggie Miller card, dude" all sarcastically and everyone in line laughed, and if there ever was a moment where I would've shot myself in the face if I had had a gun that was probably it.

well why did you have a reggie miller card in your wallet?

The card was definitely in a big plastic card protector.

My MIL flew into town to “help” two weeks ago Monday. She bought a one way ticket because my wife’s sister was supposed to come and visit and take her back.

She lives with my wife’s sister adored coming for a visit almost two years ago and never leaving.

The sisters son just joined the football team and they are quarantining after a bunch of positive cases. So now the return trip is cancelled and we can’t* send her home to a potentially Covid positive household. I’m that dog in the “everything is fine” meme.

*shouldn’t

My MIL flew into town to “help” two weeks ago Monday. She bought a one way ticket because my wife’s sister was supposed to come and visit and take her back.

She lives with my wife’s sister adored coming for a visit almost two years ago and never leaving.

The sisters son just joined the football team and they are quarantining after a bunch of positive cases. So now the return trip is cancelled and we can’t* send her home to a potentially Covid positive household. I’m that dog in the “everything is fine” meme.

*shouldn’t

Thoughts and prayers

*shouldn’t

I'm assuming "adored" was supposed to be "after". So now the obvious nightmare scenario running through your head constantly is she stays permanently (or for 2 years). *shudder*

I'm still sitting here in front of my computer clicking on spreadsheets and responding to e-mails, but I feel like I pretty much called it a week around 2pm yesterday afternoon.

Painful.

"Breaking - July was earth's hottest month on record." - Climate truthers will deny. Non politically, of course.

I'm still sitting here in front of my computer clicking on spreadsheets and responding to e-mails, but I feel like I pretty much called it a week around 2pm yesterday afternoon.

Painful.

Samesies. We have a team meeting on Fridays where 5 of the 10 people in the meeting get points for saying a phrase during the meeting -- only thing making Fridays interesting.

Today it was 1 point for "A bad carpenter blames his tools" and 2 points for "fuzzy slippers tells no lies". An extra point is given if a certain person not involved also says the phrase. Someone had a 3 pointer today, so it was a pretty big day at work.

I got a point last week for "You can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it".

What was the number of lifetime stings that y’all were discussing as high the other week? I just mowed over a yellow jacket nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back