• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately this board meme is losing its truthfulness. I still enjoy living in Austin but damn if it isn't becoming a little big for my liking. Probably going to make a move to a (reasonably) smaller and cheaper place in the next couple years. Closer to NC and family most likely.

Pretty stoked to find out where we all should be living soon !

Yep, Jewish celebrations are awesome. Plus their history is way more interesting than some lame story about a carpenter's son with a Messiah complex.

Jesus would probably agree.

As I understand it, Christian Universalists believe that we will all be reconciled with Jesus and God regardless of our beliefs or non-beliefs. Is that correct?

I don't read that to mean in the interim between his death and ascension. There was a functional maximum length for a papyrus roll in that time period, and the gospel writers were all flirting with it

Serious answer: If i understand correctly the kind of passage you're talking about, this is most certainly a common rhetorical trope, rather than anything much to do with "functional maximum length" for its support. I don't know much about NT survivals on papyrus, but the codex form comes out of third century Christian communities and NT material would certainly have been circulating quite early in this form. Scrolls don't really circulate.

If you just think people should think critically about Jesus' stories as parables and can get into Heaven without believing Christ is the son of God (which the Bible is pretty straightforward on from my readings) then why is that "Christianity" at all - just because some people claim it is?

ETA: I can see an argument that it's Christianity in the sense that you are using the teachings of Jesus to live your life and studying his life to help inform yours, but I never realized that a core tenet of Christianity wasn't that Jesus was the son of God.

You can believe Jesus was the Son of God, and not have to assume that requires any further action on your point. There are plenty of Christians who believe in Universal Salvation. I wouldn't call it a mainline belief, but it's not an insignificant part of Christianity.

You're not entirely wrong here, but it's just worth being cautious when talking about the beliefs of more than a quarter of the world's population.

And so Jesus is just kind of a symbol of how we should live our life rather than someone we need to embrace as the Messiah? Or is he still a Messiah in the sense that he will lead human kind to salvation?

I've got a bracelet to sell you, bro. Imitatio Christi is like the best selling book ever outside of the bible. More sold than even Infinite Jest, i believe.

And so Jesus is just kind of a symbol of how we should live our life rather than someone we need to embrace as the Messiah? Or is he still a Messiah in the sense that he will lead human kind to salvation?

I would assume a Universalist wouldn't be very committal on any of those questions. At the risk of speaking for a few hundred thousand people, I would guess generic UU Christian would say "let's try to find truth together".

So what did you people eat for breakfast ?

I had a bowl of cereal and a banana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back