• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Montego Bay: I Am The Liver King !!!!!!!!!! ! I Can Do Anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the parkway run was freaking freezing this morning.

Anybody want two free tix to the deacs game toothy? Helping my dad move his. Free parking pass if you’re in Raleigh.

Scheduled to leave for HHI tomorrow morning. Wife currently taking son to ER.

Take as old as time …

Man this sucks. Hope everything turns out okay and he recovers quickly. Nothing worse than feeling helpless when your kid is sick.

God I hope twitter ends up dying over the course of this chat thread. My fear is though, that of the 7,000 people that worked at twitter 6,500 of those were fake jobs and they are going to be just fine.

It will probably be a little bit slower than that. Latest tweets emphasizing that Elon knows uptime is the most important thing during the world cup at least, so they will probably shift focus to sharing the load on operations the next few weeks.

I think a lot of it will depend on how many engineers are actually left and how willing they are to completely burn themselves out to keep the site up while they re-hire over the next few months. Burn out comes for them all, though.. there is no doubt about that. The on-call shifts are going to be brutal and unrelenting on top of Elon's feature requests (which will be coming down the pipe).

VC's like Marc Andreessen and Paul Graham simping for Elon was not on my bucket list though. Makes no sense. They think it makes perfect sense to go work at twitter and work crazy hours, but those dynamics usually only make sense in a start-up where you actually have a chance at equity (as someone who has pulled 100 hour weeks to keep a small start-up alive I don't regret it but I would never do it again and certainly not for a company in Twitter's position). I doubt Twitter is going to be promising salaries higher than Alphabet, Meta, Amazon, Apple et. al when those companies all offer better work life balance and better challenges too.

You can get 20 something’s straight out of college to work at Tesla or spacex for crazy hours because they believe those companies are changing the world. No one feels that way about fucking twitter. It’s basically a joke among Gen Z

Let’s try this using actual numbers

Average Big Mac price in 1980 = $1.60 (https://www.eatthis.com/big-mac-cost/)

Average Big Mac price today = $3.99 (https://realmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-menu-prices/)

BM index in 1980 was 1.937 vs 1.87 today

In NYC, the average price for a Big Mac is $4.95, but the minimum wage is $15, so the BM index is a whopping 3.03.
hmm I wonder what happens if you adjust by location and don't choose the price of a big Mac six years after the date in OP but try to pass it off as the same date

ooof

how are you feeling on the whole though with no coffee? sleeping better?

Shitty chat washers true colors always comes shining through, better to just ignore and tell to fuck off as demonstrated by Df09

I think so. He’s got a high fever and trouble breathing. These are the few times that I’m glad we live in Atlanta and have access to a great children’s hospital.
shit hope he feels better quickly and recovers fully

ooof

how are you feeling on the whole though with no coffee? sleeping better?

I've had issues w/silent reflux since ~2020 and it actually has made a p big difference. The current plan is probably stay (mostly, still have the occasional green tea) caffeine free through 2023 and then slowly dip my toes back in in 2024. Hoping that I just need an extended break to give things time to heal up/calm-down.

Because I still love the habit of warm drink in the mornings, I've been drinking ginger/turmeric or Tulsi tea in the mornings which helps me w/the routine of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back