• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest, i still don't fully understand the function of a conjunction

kory juice went to the park. a dog barked at juice. he ran away.

kory and juice went to the park but a dog barked at juice so he ran away.

am i supposed to believe that janet was best friends with the sun (and got its autograph on goddamn paper) but mercury was too hot for her?

this is just poor writing, kory

look man i'm kind of against shaming women for living their lives the way they want to, but you do you broh.

I'm covering at the big library this morning and a Wake professor just came in. I didn't get her name, but we chatted for a bit. Good times. History prof.

history was the one divisional I place out of, but probs should of taken one anyways

I fucked it up at Wake by going for easy classes instead of good classes

Reading a resume (3 pager no less) with the following detail:

Hard Knocks Academy
Master's degree, Life Experience, Power of Persuasion, Observation of the General Public
1976-2016
The School of Hard Knocks or University of Hard Knocks is an idiomatic phrase meaning the (sometimes painful) education one gets from life's usually negative experiences, often contrasted with formal education. The term is frequently misattributed to George Ade, but was actually coined by Elbert Hubbard in a piece he wrote on himself for Cosmopolitan in 1902.

It is a phrase which is most-typically used by a person to claim a level of wisdom imparted by life experience, which should be considered at least equal in merit to academic knowledge. It is a response that may be given when one is asked about his or her education, particularly if they do not have an extensive formal education but rather life experiences that should be valued instead. It may also be used facetiously, to suggest that formal education is not of practical value compared with "street" experience.

I took Alan Williams' class freshman year - 8am - we had a western civ textbook but he supplemented it with a lot of Montaigne and Cicero and talked about the Good Life a lot.

Hard Knocks Academy
Master's degree, Life Experience, Power of Persuasion, Observation of the General Public
1976-2016

yeah but are they accredited

history was the one divisional I place out of, but probs should of taken one anyways

I fucked it up at Wake by going for easy classes instead of good classes

Yeah, I actually placed out of history, too, but I love history and should have taken more. I took fun classes my first few years and then had to scramble my senior year taking intro to psych and philosophy, which was a very very very bad idea. Not passing a couple of math requirement classes didn't help either. Had to take those suckers over.

Last edited:
also why did it take him 40 years to earn his master's degree? doesn't seem like a winner.

If you take out all the PE classes I took, I think 95% of my grades were a B. I got like one A and one C.

Hard Knocks Academy
1976-2016
The School of Hard Knocks or University of Hard Knocks is an idiomatic phrase meaning the (sometimes painful) education one gets from life's usually negative experiences, often contrasted with formal education. The term is frequently misattributed to George Ade, but was actually coined by Elbert Hubbard in a piece he wrote on himself for Cosmopolitan in 1902.

It is a phrase which is most-typically used by a person to claim a level of wisdom imparted by life experience, which should be considered at least equal in merit to academic knowledge. It is a response that may be given when one is asked about his or her education, particularly if they do not have an extensive formal education but rather life experiences that should be valued instead. It may also be used facetiously, to suggest that formal education is not of practical value compared with "street" experience.

Whew. Damn.

man it all kinda went south after we took Schoolhouse Rock off Saturday morning TV, huh.
then we decentralized media and gave kids the choice to watch whatever they want.
now they're really good at discussing Fortnite but struggle to recount the legislative process.
thanks, Detroit.

I didn't know until recently that Reagan deregulated children's cartoons to pave the way for shows that were just toy advertisements instead of educational. That completely shaped my childhood.
https://www.awn.com/animationworld/dr-toon-when-reagan-met-optimus-prime

I don't think my 4yo has any idea that television is typically scheduled.

And he has no knowledge that Pluto was once considered a planet; he has a book that doesn't mention it and an activity mat that doesn't include it in the planetary manifest.

I took my kids to Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ where Pluto was discovered. The whole history of the discovery is fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back