• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching. Made it through the first two episodes so far. Tha Marty Stuart is a funny looking dude. I love Merle though.

one can only take so many slow pans over a grainy photograph with over-affected voice actors

More Bill Malone and the Hag, less Marty Stuart, for sure.

The Hag's origin story, sneaking out to see Bob Wills and then being IN PRISON to see Johnny Cash at San Quentin, is pretty cool. Glad we're getting to the outlaw dudes next (I think), since last episode was heavy on Willie. Nothing against Chet Atkins and the Nashville sound, which is pretty dope in itself.

Also, since I've been on a Dead kick, this stood out last night, too. I wish I could find the video they used, but it's all good.

I've been watching the shit out of this Ken Burns Country Music thing. It's a pretty good time, though very Ken Burns, so the time can only get so good, you know? Whatever. Learning a lot. Figure I should get work time for this? Might broach the subject.

You could buy a 90" TV with world class sound and write it off saying you use it for referencing your job.

I don't think so? Though they mentioned the Kingston Trio doing "Tom Dooley" last night as something like "an old song from North Carolina."

But if they had it would have been in the first episode. Maybe they did, I don't remember, it was heavy on the Carters and Jimmie Rodgers and Fiddlin' John Carson.

Who’s got a SF solo restaurant rec for tonight? I’m staying near Chinatown.

Try Yank Sing in the Rincon Building. Excellent dim sum...you can take 1/2 portions.

Ate at a pretty good Thai place on Larkin a few years ago, Lers Ros. You might have to walk through the Tenderloin, which probably was scarier many years ago and is fine now -- I've got no info on that. But Lers Ros was good. Anyway, that's all I got.

Things I heard from coworkers today:

Ugh, it took me 90 minutes to get to work this morning, I've been here for an hour, and my daughter's school just called and I have to drive back out there to pick her up.

Two coworkers were in my office talking about their kids. One pays $42k a year for his daughter's middle school and $50k a year for his son's high school and the other pays $55K a year for her daughter's high school.

Everybody makes their own choices in life and happiness comes in different forms, but I'm feeling pretty good about my dink life living in the city a mile from work right now. Though that could certainly change after the aggressive homeless guy in my neighborhood stabs me.

It was pretty rough when my boss at the time lost most all he had during the financial crisis, our monthly cashflow stopped yet he was still paying $100k/yr for his two kids to go to middle school.

Paying huge amounts for private school education seems to be the thing to do around Charlotte for the rich and faux rich. I just don’t get it, especially when the public schools you’re districted to are top rated.

Lol, get back to me after you’ve had a couple of kids in some of CMS’s top rated schools for nine years.

I guess I’ll prepare to be stunned by CMS. Somehow I managed to make it out of the quagmire of my own public school upbringing but apparently it will be shockingly different here.

there's also a widespread narrow-minded view of education that's only based on academics

this is directed at nobody here, but it's awesome to watch liberals turn straight conservative when it comes to their kids and school

We bought in a neighborhood where we could get at least through elementary school in the public system.

I think daycare has the effect of numbing people to the price of private school.

Why's everyone worried about their kids and school anyways. 15 years from now, the only jobs left will be influencers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back