• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not what i said

you said "virtue signalling" when we were just talking, sharing opinions, and that's some conservative uncle email forward nonsense

everyone wants their kids to get a good education; the trad split in parties is about equal access to that education, and it seems to me there is a certain type of liberal who quickly abandons that collectivist value in favor of an individualist one. i never said i fault them for it, only that it's funny to watch.

The great thing about a public school board and district is they will tell you exactly what's best for you and if you don't agree you're probably a racist.

"Racist" is probably the wrong word. "Elitist" is probably better because it's less specific. I've seen some black parents get super pissed at the school board too.

Why not just not spend the $200k on middle school, $200k on private high school, not encourage them to go to college and incur $200k in debt and by the time they're 21 they got $400k in cash instead of $200k in debt.

if that's what's happening

why is it funny?

the other part about equal access to education

funny in the way you see 2nd amendment nuts pucker their assholes when you suggest heavily arming nonwhites

lol ok. telling parents they're turning into fox news drones because they'd prefer their kids get the best education they can is a fun conversation starter.

you're sensitive today, itc

let's have another conversation - what is your favorite outdoors activity in your part of Pennsylvania? I drove through Western/Central PA the other day and had forgotten how beautiful it was...

The great thing about a public school board and district is they will tell you exactly what's best for you and if you don't agree you're probably a racist.

"Racist" is probably the wrong word. "Elitist" is probably better because it's less specific. I've seen some black parents get super pissed at the school board too.

Does anybody like their local school board? Disliking local school boards seems like the one thing that most people can agree on.

This is easy for me to say because my parents couldn't have afforded to send me to private school, but I feel well served by my public pre-college education. Generally reading this board you do get a real elitist vibe about stuff. It's not surprising, Wake self-selects those types. Some of my closest friends at Mt Tabor used their grandmother's address to attend school there rather than Carver. And there is a very measurable difference in the outcomes of kids of comparable SES in those two schools.

Now that I'm thinking about kids, and my house (that cost 5x what my parents' house cost) is in a shitty school district, time for the rubber to hit the road on my lib values!

Does anybody like their local school board? Disliking local school boards seems like the one thing that most people can agree on.

Yeah, and the thing is the school board and the district are set up to fail. They're always underfunded, at least in the south.

Still, even if you're happy with your school, it's only a matter of time before they do something to fuck it up for everybody.

My experience is that they'd rather have 200 schools rated a C+ than 199 A's and one F.

This is easy for me to say because my parents couldn't have afforded to send me to private school, but I feel well served by my public pre-college education. Generally reading this board you do get a real elitist vibe about stuff. It's not surprising, Wake self-selects those types. Some of my closest friends at Mt Tabor used their grandmother's address to attend school there rather than Carver. And there is a very measurable difference in the outcomes of kids of comparable SES in those two schools.

Now that I'm thinking about kids, and my house (that cost 5x what my parents' house cost) is in a shitty school district, time for the rubber to hit the road on my lib values!

See you soon in the burbs, my man

you're sensitive today, itc

let's have another conversation - what is your favorite outdoors activity in your part of Pennsylvania? I drove through Western/Central PA the other day and had forgotten how beautiful it was...

In Central PA? It's not a great area for outdoor activity - I'm mostly a hiker and the offerings within a hour drive are pretty meh. Decent fishing and relaxed kayaking (though not white water).

Rural kids run dirtbikes, snow mobiles, atvs and that sort of thing. Golf is an option.

I do a lot of my hiking further north and North East.

that's not what i said

you said "virtue signalling" when we were just talking, sharing opinions, and that's some conservative uncle email forward nonsense

everyone wants their kids to get a good education; the trad split in parties is about equal access to that education, and it seems to me there is a certain type of liberal who quickly abandons that collectivist value in favor of an individualist one. i never said i fault them for it, only that it's funny to watch.

Funnier than that fucking Righteous Gemstones clip you posted, at least.

Different campus.... :)

I'm surprised traditional Cheating Hill Republicans aren't greeting Bernie with an early 70s CH cheer:

Mari-juana
Ho Chin Mihn
Come Hells
Gotta win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back