• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chat Thread: DJ Jazzy Juice - Summertime !!! !!!

wanting your kids to go to good schools is a conservative value?

Assuming public schools (or the neighborhood school or schools with more minorities) aren’t good schools is a conservative value.

Last edited:
I guess I’ll prepare to be stunned by CMS. Somehow I managed to make it out of the quagmire of my own public school upbringing but apparently it will be shockingly different here.

It's not just about the kids. Prepare to be redistriced, lied to, baselessly flattered and then talked down to, and ignored. You're lucky if you don't wind up with an incompetent teacher hired two weeks into the school year and you'll love standing outside in the dark wondering if the bus is going to show up this morning to take your kid to his trailer on what used to be a soccer field.

Well, there's data and scorecards that say a lot of schools suck and the kids aren't learning much. But ultimately low SES kids have a harder time learning than higher SES kids. Studies show some advantages in a mix of low SES and high SES in schools for both groups, but once low SES approaches 50% the school is generally low-performing and they all suffer. The problem is there are tons of low SES kids out there and no school system has a proven method for educating them.

schools are probably the area where people's micro and macro values conflict the most

Assuming public schools (or the neighborhood school or schools with more minorities) aren’t good schools is a conservative value.

School choice, anti-busing, etc. are conservative values too.

Well, there's data and scorecards that say a lot of schools suck and the kids aren't learning much. But ultimately low SES kids have a harder time learning than higher SES kids. Studies show some advantages in a mix of low SES and high SES in schools for both groups, but once low SES approaches 50% the school is generally low-performing and they all suffer. The problem is there are tons of low SES kids out there and no school system has a proven method for educating them.

anecdotally with no googling, Chicago is roughly 30/30/30/10 black/white/Latino/Asian, but the public school system is like 7% white

some of that has to do with the fact that the under 18 racial breakdown isn't the same, but a lot of it is private schools

would be really interesting if private schools were banned

after they age out of daycare, I'm sending my daughters to the public school system :shrug

virtue signalling is off the charts lately

37% the schools in Charlotte-Mecklenburg are high poverty - over 50% of students at those schools living in poverty. Some of those schools are in the mid-80's.

School choice, anti-busing, etc. are conservative values too.

Definitely.

anecdotally with no googling, Chicago is roughly 30/30/30/10 black/white/Latino/Asian, but the public school system is like 7% white

some of that has to do with the fact that the under 18 racial breakdown isn't the same, but a lot of it is private schools

would be really interesting if private schools were banned

I think US children are 51% white. The rise of charters and private schools is very connected to that. The 90%+ white public schools many white parents attended are largely a thing of the past.

I think US children are 51% white. The rise of charters and private schools is very connected to that. The 90%+ white public schools many white parents attended are largely a thing of the past.

I would guess the US urban child population is way less than 51% white

lol you have adopted the vocabulary of a fox news grandpa considering what i understand of your political bent we're just having a conversation man

lol ok. telling parents they're turning into fox news drones because they'd prefer their kids get the best education they can is a fun conversation starter.

lol ok. telling parents they're turning into fox news drones because they'd prefer their kids get the best education they can is a fun conversation starter.

that's not what i said

you said "virtue signalling" when we were just talking, sharing opinions, and that's some conservative uncle email forward nonsense

everyone wants their kids to get a good education; the trad split in parties is about equal access to that education, and it seems to me there is a certain type of liberal who quickly abandons that collectivist value in favor of an individualist one. i never said i fault them for it, only that it's funny to watch.

Public school districts were definitely a consideration when I was picking where to move here. I don’t see a problem with that. But assuming that my kids are normal and don’t have special needs like learning disabilities, I just don’t see how a $20k per year elementary school education will be that superior to a free elementary education from my nearby school. Particularly a strictly religious/church affiliated private school which may even make them dumber.

everyone wants their kids to get a good education; the trad split in parties is about equal access to that education, and it seems to me there is a certain type of liberal who quickly abandons that collectivist value in favor of an individualist one. i never said i fault them for it, only that it's funny to watch.

if that's what's happening

why is it funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back