• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread: some fresher, newer vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDMH, you don’t put you shoe side hustle on your resume, right?

Mt. Olive, what degree does your son have? My research is on employment trajectories of people with AS/AAS degrees.
It’s my nephew. It has something to do with cyber security. He was 21 years old making $50,000 with a 2 year degree. In 2 years he closing into $80,000. I heard wrong. Point being, I’d give my left nut to be making that when I was in my early twenties.

My son (lil gherkin) has a 2 year degree in business. He is probably 40-50,000 and works from home. Not going to get rich but the bills are paid.

MDMH, you don’t put you shoe side hustle on your resume, right?

Mt. Olive, what degree does your son have? My research is on employment trajectories of people with AS/AAS degrees.
I’m honestly a little confused about it - it’s not like I was an Uber driver, many of the elements of owning and operating a store online are directly related to the skills and requirements of the jobs I’m applying to. I’ve made like 17k in sales and have a 100% rating with hundreds of reviews on my store - why would I not include it on my resume?

I’m honestly a little confused about it - it’s not like I was an Uber driver, many of the elements of owning and operating a store online are directly related to the skills and requirements of the jobs I’m applying to. I’ve made like 17k in sales and have a 100% rating with hundreds of reviews on my store - why would I not include it on my resume?
Fwiw I think it's totally fine to have on a resume. I don't know how you have it categorized, but I'd probably have it under some type of "Other" section. Personally I think it's a neat thing to have on there when positioned as something you like to do outside of work.

Like 5-6 years ago I interviewed a guy, who we ended up hiring, who collected and sold old video games and consoles on ebay as a side hustle/hobby and it definitely helped set him apart from the other people we were looking at. But it was very much angled as a this is what I like to do in my free time kind of thing.

cause you want to get jobs that pay well and none of them are going to take into account ebay side hustles
Not disputing your opinion, but where would you draw the line between considering someone’s self employment and “side hustle” as valid work experience?

Not disputing your opinion, but where would you draw the line between considering someone’s self employment and “side hustle” as valid work experience?
It would largely depend on what the side hustle was. If you were a freelance self-employed professional in things like IT, that's one thing. But I'm not putting my flipping metals on my resume even if I did end up spending a few hours a day on it with sales in the $150k range. You had also mentioned the Direct TV thing as "another thing on the resume" earlier, keep that off unless you want to get stuck doing similar jobs.

I know I’m a newbie but I agree with darts. It seems to me like folks would wonder if your attention will spent on the side work. It sounds as though Frosty has a great recommendation.

Somebody tell me I shouldn’t buy an iPad almost for the sole purpose of watching movies on an airplane

I have tremendous job security and I am not grateful for that often enough.
Do you worry at all being (I think) a professor in DeSantis’s FL? Seems like the woke science depts would be a target.

So I just finished going through resumes and hiring for a sales job. If I saw that on a resume I wouldn’t have picked that resume. I would have wondered if the persons focus was going to be distracted between that and what I was hiring for.

Now as you describe it and talk about it in an interview, I’d think differently as you’ve described here. But when going through a bunch of resumes it’s something I’d kick out.

Also…depending on how you write it up, the résumé algorithm bots that do initial screenings may not like it.

As a Sales Director in IT I’d be happy to look at your resume if you’d like. I’m actually far more professional than the boards would guess. :)

My wife went to her surgeon yesterday. A screw had backed out of her knee and they removed it in the office. Today she is feeling so much better. She was texting my parents last night about it while I was golfing. Oh yeah, it was our 26th Anniversary. Lol.

Today at work I had a missed call from my dad. I called and he said it was an accident. We talked for twenty minutes and I could not get off the phone. I felt like he was trying to say he loved me and he cared but those words are not in his vocabulary. Anyways, this was on the last chat and when we did hang up I thought of all the other experiences I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back