• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread: some fresher, newer vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a good take.

I also appreciate WCD's perspective as the parent of a college athlete.

Lotta strands, man.
My sister just finished her D3 lacrosse career. I flew up last year to watch a game, which ended up being a blowout. One of the opposing team's fathers was getting upset with some of the heckling from the students, to the extent he started talking back to the students telling them to shut up. In my mind the father was out of line. If he was afraid his daughter couldn't handle some chatter from the sidelines, then he should have had her play club lacrosse.

When I wrestled against Penn State, I lost so badly that some of the parents in the stands were probably laughing at me, but thats not what I focus on. I think this kind of stuff tends to bother the parents more than the athletes, who usually tune it out.

I think this is a good take.

I also appreciate WCD's perspective as the parent of a college athlete.

Lotta strands, man.
For sure. I wonder too if there is also a difference between lighthearted venting/trash-talk on a message board and being an asshole to a player in person. It's a fine line to walk. Still remember freshman Sam Hartman getting a bunch of abuse from Tulane students and grown-ass men and wondering wtf was wrong with them to be harassing an 18 year old kid they knew nothing about.

But at a certain point if you kind of portray yourself in a certain way or project a bad-guy persona you've gotta expect to get some shit at this level. It just comes with the territory. Tommy White has leaned into his whole persona in the same way Grayson Allen did at duke, so it's not surprising that people have found reasons to dislike him.

My sister just finished her D3 lacrosse career. I flew up last year to watch a game, which ended up being a blowout. One of the opposing team's fathers was getting upset with some of the heckling from the students, to the extent he started talking back to the students telling them to shut up. In my mind the father was out of line. If he was afraid his daughter couldn't handle some chatter from the sidelines, then he should have had her play club lacrosse.

When I wrestled against Penn State, I lost so badly that some of the parents in the stands were probably laughing at me, but thats not what I focus on. I think this kind of stuff tends to bother the parents more than the athletes, who usually tune it out.

Jesus. The thought of wrestling against Penn State scares the shit out of me as a nearly 40 year old man that has never been nor ever will be in that position.

Had our first softball game last night and my daughter has a field hockey game tonight, so I was only able to check in to parts of last night's game and I expect the same tonight. As much as I would like to be wrapped up in it, my mental health probably benefits more from the detachment.

Timmy,

Will you encourage, discourage, or be neutral to the twins wrestling?

My favorite take is that Kurtz is deep into a slump because he's hitless in the past three games. We have played 65 games so far.

More musicals should be made into movies. Mama Mia, Les Mis, Chicago, the Sound of Music, all classics. I don't think we as a country need a new super hero movie every 3 months, what we need are more big budget musical films

Are you telling me a film version of Hamilton wouldn't be the tentpole film of the summer?

Musicals by nature are elitist. They are found mainly in cities, they are expensive and they tend to be at times that are not convenient for working parents. More musicals as movies would help bring culture to people who wouldn't normally get a chance.

For every $300 million a studio does for a transformers movie or a fast and furious or a Super wonder twins movie, they should also have to spend $100 million on turning a classic musical into a movie.
New Joker coming out is going to be a musical - worst of both worlds!

I’ll definitely be watching tonight’s game on mute. That should significantly elevate my enjoyment regardless of the outcome.

I also enjoyed the take that the Groves naming deal is a sign we're going to get left behind in all the conference realignment stuff. I mean yeah that might happen, but not because of who's sponsoring us.

If someone cut a big enough check to change the name to Donald Ross is a Lying Sandbagger Field at the Ogboards.com Pleasure Palace Currie would be out there himself putting up the new signs right quick.

It may have something to do with being a parent of a college athlete. My kid is likely never going to be in a position where an opposing fanbase cares. Can't say it is, but can't dismiss it.

These guys know all the shit that's said about them. And yeah they may all just be people you will never meet, but i have no clue what's going on in their lives. I have no idea what they've dealt with in terms of issues or insecurity about their bodies or how they look. I'm sure 99% of these guys let it slide and don't care...and for sure Tommy is one of those that don't care. But for that 1% of "kids" that it really affects them, hell yeah I'll hold my ground on the position that talking shit about their weight or whatever is something that adults behind a screen should be better.

It may have something to do with being a parent of a college athlete. My kid is likely never going to be in a position where an opposing fanbase cares. Can't say it is, but can't dismiss it.

These guys know all the shit that's said about them. And yeah they may all just be people you will never meet, but i have no clue what's going on in their lives. I have no idea what they've dealt with in terms of issues or insecurity about their bodies or how they look. I'm sure 99% of these guys let it slide and don't care...and for sure Tommy is one of those that don't care. But for that 1% of "kids" that it really affects them, hell yeah I'll hold my ground on the position that talking shit about their weight or whatever is something that adults behind a screen should be better.
so in addition to not knowing how sports fandom works you don't know how internet message boards work?

This is fair, but thus far it seems like you've gotten mad about ANY criticism towards Tommy White. e.g. when someone calls him trashy even though he's clearly projecting that image on purpose.

If you were just calling out the really inappropriate shit (which I acknowledge does exist) then you wouldn't be getting so much flack.

Timmy,

Will you encourage, discourage, or be neutral to the twins wrestling?
I will encourage, especially at young ages. I think its something that you can do most anywhere and don't need a team or a huge organization to be involved in. Its something I can help with as well. I can't teach them to throw a curve or do a good corner kick, but I can teach them a double leg take down. Also, the athleticism translates to other sports.

My take on the whole criticism of college athletes is heavily influenced by witnessing the emotional fragility of athletes just a few years younger than them during my coaching career. Obviously different stages and all, but I’ve witnessed adults saying absolutely heinous shit to high school athletes.

I will encourage, especially at young ages. I think its something that you can do most anywhere and don't need a team or a huge organization to be involved in. Its something I can help with as well. I can't teach them to throw a curve or do a good corner kick, but I can teach them a double leg take down. Also, the athleticism translates to other sports.
Listen, sons, you "play" basketball. You "play" football. You "play" tennis. Nobody "plays" wrestling. This is a real sport. It's just you and your opponent out there on that mat. Position is position is position.

My take on the whole criticism of college athletes is heavily influenced by witnessing the emotional fragility of athletes just a few years younger than them during my coaching career. Obviously different stages and all, but I’ve witnessed adults saying absolutely heinous shit to high school athletes.
sure but posting dumb shit on an internet message board is very, very far from saying dumb shit directly to an athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back