• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread: some fresher, newer vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of sports, I love going to our local sporting goods store where I know all the salesmen and get treated like royalty because of our team uniform and equipment contracts. I just had 4 dudes falling all over themselves to outfit my 5yo in the proper tball uniform.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s changed, but I did find wrestling culture to be pretty unhealthy and toxic (at least 25 years ago).

A lot of pain is good, sacrifice yourself/body as a HS freshman for a sport you most likely won’t even do in college, etc.

It may have something to do with being a parent of a college athlete. My kid is likely never going to be in a position where an opposing fanbase cares. Can't say it is, but can't dismiss it.

These guys know all the shit that's said about them. And yeah they may all just be people you will never meet, but i have no clue what's going on in their lives. I have no idea what they've dealt with in terms of issues or insecurity about their bodies or how they look. I'm sure 99% of these guys let it slide and don't care...and for sure Tommy is one of those that don't care. But for that 1% of "kids" that it really affects them, hell yeah I'll hold my ground on the position that talking shit about their weight or whatever is something that adults behind a screen should be better.
Guys rip each other. Who cares if we know the person or not? One of my best friends has several goofy tattoos and a goatee. We make fun of him for being white trash all the time. Another buddy is very plump - multiple fat jokes a week his way. I'm made fun of constantly for being a country club douchebag.

Thinking opposing players should have a safe space on a team's message board is some wild shit. As is telling (mostly) strangers how to do sports fandom/life in general. In the midst of arguably the best Wake sports run of all time.

Also, Windy, let's just go back to arguing that Justin Fields is good. That's more fun.

Not sure if it’s changed, but I did find wrestling culture to be pretty unhealthy and toxic (at least 25 years ago).

A lot of pain is good, sacrifice yourself/body as a HS freshman for a sport you most likely won’t even do in college, etc.
This is why middle school is the ideal time to wrestle. Not as competitive, get some self confidence and discipline at a time when your hormones are raging out of control, weight stuff isn't as big of a deal (or at least wasn't for anyone on my team).

When you get to HS, focus full time on sports that are more fun and social.

A couple of my buddies wrestled pretty competitively in high school, and from afar some of the crazy shit they did to cut weight seemed super unhealthy. I mean they are fine now, and I'm not sure if there are better guardrails up these days.

I will also encourage, I think, but I’m wondering what the right age is for him to start. There is a club affiliated with our assigned high school for K-8.

Nothing I have ever done has been as hard as wrestling and I know there probably aren’t many things I couldn’t do if I put in the time and effort required.

Looking back on it I was an athletic freak. Unfortunately, I didn’t appreciate it at the time.
Your son is 4 right? Start now. Get him a little wrestling singlet, teach him the down position and when you say go he gets up as fast as he can. Find a soft floor and toss him around a little, do some knee walks, little things that can be done before he actually starts doing it against other people.

Our HS wrestling coach was also the civics teacher. Thanks to his educational incompetence, I got five days of in-school suspension my senior year. So, I am ANTI-WRESTLING !

The other thing I think is worth saying about wrestling is that it is humbling. Getting absolutely owned in a match is humiliating because you can almost always trace it back to your opponent simply working harder than you. Sure sometimes you got run through by some athletic freak who ended up at Iowa or Penn State or wherever, but 99% of the time when you lose a match at the youth level you just got out worked. Good, but tough, lesson to learn young.
Ya, I wrestled against Travis Frick my freshmen year in one of those fall warmup tournaments. Its amazing how quickly you can regret life decisions.

I am a MESS stressing out about picking up the ring tonight after work. If something isn’t right with it, all plans are off for the UK. 🆘

Ts & Ps. My now wife was part of the process so I knew exactly what she wanted. It was a weirdly casual process for such a huge life milestone. Just walked in when they let me know it was ready, gave them my debit card (lol) and walked out.

Ts & Ps. My now wife was part of the process so I knew exactly what she wanted. It was a weirdly casual process for such a huge life milestone. Just walked in when they let me know it was ready, gave them my debit card (lol) and walked out.
Yeah we went and looked at different ones together and she told me what she wanted but she was not there when I purchased

It is weird how causal it is and how I had to fake like I knew what I was looking at. “Oh, this very good cut, F color, vs2 looks way better than the ideal cut one!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back