• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cincinnati-Xavier brawl!

wow, what a mess.

I've never heard of a basketball game being called before all the time had run off the clock. I wonder what would have happened if there were 9 seconds left in a tie game - would they have tried to restore order and finish the game?

A little bit of searching finds the Georgetown/China brawl ended that game early, and there was a high school fight in Cleveland that ended a blowout game early.

Well there was that little incident at Auburn Hills as well that ended the game early, but yeah I couldn't recall other college incidents

If I had to guess, I'd say that Mbodj is going to get kicked off the team for that stomp. Not sure Gates will get kicked off of the team, but he's done for at least 10 games. I'd guess that Wells is done for 5 games, as well. A few one-game suspensions will be dealt out to guys on the Xavier bench, as well, I think.

If he had started the fight, then maybe, but it was instigated by the jawing between Ge'Lawn Guyn (Cincy) and Tu Holloway (Xavier) and then escalated when Dezmine Wells (Xavier), pushes Guyn into the bench.

Then, Yancy Gates (Cincy) chucks the ball at Dezmine Wells (Xavier) and runs into the pile where he throws two punches. The first misses, the second connects with Kenny Frease (Xavier) in the face. Then, when Kenny Frease (Xavier) is on the ground, Cheikh Mbodj (Cincy) stomps on him, unprovoked.

Yancy Gates is restrained and runs back in and throws another punch.

Tu Holloway told someone on press row to tweet that they "put [cincy's players] in a fucking body bag."

+1 for karate kid

Tu Holloway told someone on press row to tweet that they "put [cincy's players] in a fucking body bag."

+1 for karate kid

Sounds like a classy fellow. Good thing he can ball.

Well there was that little incident at Auburn Hills as well that ended the game early, but yeah I couldn't recall other college incidents

took me a couple searches to figure out what you were talking about there. (the location did not ring a bell.)

ron-artest-brawl1.jpg

I recall our game with X in the Joel two years ago being very chippy as well. No where near the mess of today's game but Frees was running his mouth throughout our game.

+1 for karate kid

Hard-nosed kid... Took exception to Sean Kilpatrick's comments that he was better than Tu and that Tu couldn't start on Cincinnati. Both of which are untrue, but nonetheless.

There's no problem with talking and that game is always charged and competitive in that way. The punching and stomping is obviously more of an issue and an anomaly.

I have to say that despite Gates and Mbodj acting like utter fools, the Xavier kids were a disgrace in the postgame.

I think Mick Cronin got the upper hand, though. He had one of the best reactions to something like this that I've ever seen. He might not be a great coach, but he's a great representative of that university.

Damn, the big guy who was blooded from Xavier got knocked down there and then a Cincy player heel-kicked him in the face. OUCH!!!!

A sportswriter said that two Xavier players were at the presser before Cronin and seemed to be very happy with what went on. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just finished watching the whole video of his presser and it sounds like the press gave him an ovation.

Perhaps Cronin is the best con artist in America. I don't know. Never heard of the guy.

However, his post-game presser was VERY impressive.

I will add that he needs to kick some asses off of his team.

Back