• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference tomorrow? (Clawson discussion on othe thread plz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nard dooze is my favorite. I almost like claw better than Lembo. I'm worried about the DONK factor w Lembo.

Lembo_vs_Clawson.JPG
[/QUOTE]

It's worth noting that Richmond won the I-AA NC the year after Clawson left (so his team, and with Mike London coaching at that). I know people are scared of his reputation as a "program builder" because of Bz but there is light years of distance between a guy having his team win a NC right after he leaves and a guy having his team make the NIT right after he leaves. The 2-10 in his second year is more indicative of the previous coach leaving the cupboard bare IMO.

MAC Championship

Clawson-1
Lembo-0

For what its worth, neither Lembo nor Clawson has won a bowl game.

Throughout his career, Clawson has finished 1st in his conference 4 times (2002 at Fordham, 2005 and 2007 at Richmond, and 2013 at Bowling Green). Lembo has finished first in his conference twice (2001 and 2004 at Lehigh). I think this is the strongest argument for Clawson over Lembo. Winning your conference at 3 different spots is a pretty good indicator. My read on the situation is that Lembo has a much higher floor, but Clawson may have a higher ceiling.

Has anyone compiled a comparison on recruiting rankings for the two? I would prefer Clawson's FL connections to Lembo's NC connections assuming all things are equal. It seems that recruiting might be a wash. I do like Clawson's philosophy on academics not being an excuse but an advantage at a school like Wake, but I suspect Lembo essentially shares them just haven't read a quote about it.

I also feel like the elite coordinator types are better fits for success
At a place like wake than the program manager/CEO type
Of head coach.

So what are people's levels for good hire?

Right now, I'm excited about Lembo, will be cautiously optimistic about Clawson or the Nard Dog, and anyone else (that's not a total surprise homerun) and I'm disappointed.
Similar. But I have a little more trepidation with Clawson over his record and his "yo-yo" effect at BGSU (one good season, one bad season, one good season, one bad season). I would definitely be okay with him but I think that Lembo is a superior coach to him in almost every way.

You all are stretching to make the case for Clawson over Lembo. Lembo wins right away and wins more games.

It's worth noting that Richmond won the I-AA NC the year after Clawson left (so his team, and with Mike London coaching at that). I know people are scared of his reputation as a "program builder" because of Bz but there is light years of distance between a guy having his team win a NC right after he leaves and a guy having his team make the NIT right after he leaves. The 2-10 in his second year is more indicative of the previous coach leaving the cupboard bare IMO.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with a pretty successful reputation as a program builder. Bzz has never done jack shit. I bet Clawson at least has a personality too.

Lembo is still my first choice. I just think Clawson is a lot better than he's being made out to be.

Since when does Ron Wellman hire someone with a big personality who seeks to shake things up? I don't see him being comfortable with Lembo. Clawson is RIGHT up Wellman's alley. It's almost certainly going to be him, no?
He hired Prosser who shook up things (i.e. turned the Joel environment into something with life, fired up the students, etc.). Wellman has hired coaches with passion and vigor in the past, it's just his recent decisions that are making people forget the time when he was hailed as a genius and great AD.

I also feel like the elite coordinator types are better fits for success
At a place like wake than the program manager/CEO type
Of head coach.

My major concern with coordinators is maintaining a quality staff. They tend to be less connected. That could be a good thing though.

I look at that chart a see a guy who has never lost more than 60% of games at any stop and a guy who has never won more than 60% of games at any stop. Yet people are arguing for the guy whose best tenure and only tenure over .500 as a head coach was 29-20.

You get what you hire. Why hire a guy who has won 53% of his games as a head coach over the guy who has won 68%?

Last edited:
Football Scoop says he gets a sense it won't be Lembo

*Per coaches he's spoken too.

This guy(s) has been pretty good with breaking news...

You all are stretching to make the case for Clawson over Lembo. Lembo wins right away and wins more games.

I never said he didn't. He reminds me of a Herb Sendek type at State from a results standpoint in that he is consistently solid or good. Never really bad, but seldom the best. That would be great for Wake, IMO, but it seems a little LOWF to think that.

I look at that chart a see a guy who has never lost more than 60% of games at any stop and a guy who has never won more than 60% of games at any stop. Yet people are arguing for the guy whose best tenure and only tenure over .500 as a head coach was 29-20.

One guy who has lost 5+ games only 3 times (only 1 losing record) vs a guy who has lost 5+ games eight times with 5 losing records.

:wtf:

One guy who has lost 5+ games only 3 times (only 1 losing record) vs a guy who has lost 5+ games eight times with 5 losing records.

:wtf:

And both with three 9-win, one 10-win, and one 11-win season each.

You get what you hire. Why hire a guy who has won 53% of his games as a head coach over the guy who has won 68%?

Why would you take a guy with significantly fewer championships? I don't think Clawson is that far behind Lembo at all.

Why would you take a guy with significantly fewer championships? I don't think Clawson is that far behind Lembo at all.

Clawson has 15 fewer wins in 17 more games.

I think I'd be more on board with Clawson if it didn't appear that Lembo was the choice and we couldn't get it done, whether by not agreeing to reasonable expectations or not sufficiently talking him into reasonable expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back