• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference tomorrow? (Clawson discussion on othe thread plz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Lembo was the first interview does not necessarily mean he was the first choice.

No, but if Lembo was the first coach offered (which is what has been reported/rumored) that makes it pretty clear he was the first choice.

I look at that chart a see a guy who has never lost more than 60% of games at any stop and a guy who has never won more than 60% of games at any stop. Yet people are arguing for the guy whose best tenure and only tenure over .500 as a head coach was 29-20.

You get what you hire. Why hire a guy who has won 53% of his games as a head coach over the guy who has won 68%?

That's an awfully simplistic view of it, though.

I am more concerned about Lembo's inability to win his conference at Elon than BSU.

I am more worried about Lembo looking like a total DONK. Also not being an expert at either side of the ball. Not excited to be at the mercy of coordinators that can come and go as we've seen.

Just because Lembo was the first interview does not necessarily mean he was the first choice.

this is true, but by all appearances, it seems to be the case. The way this seems to have unfolded (based on inferences and some un-vetted sources, admittedly) is that we entered into negotiations with Lembo and one party walked away.

It is possible that Lembo was interviewed first because he did not have a game to prepare for on Thursday. Clawson was preparing for the MAC Championship game (apparently preparing well). Not sure that makes Lembo our first choice. Just the first person we interviewed.

No, but if Lembo was the first coach offered (which is what has been reported/rumored) that makes it pretty clear he was the first choice.

The rumor was financials were discussed, not that an offer was made.

I would kind of disagree with that based on what we've seen in the past in coaching searches.

I am more concerned about Lembo's inability to win his conference at Elon than BSU.

Probably want to ask this guy then. He won it every year he played. You're going to allow Armanti to curse you by affecting your judgement about this coaching search.

Last edited:
But the bad records are not just at Clawson's start of coaching. He had two bad years at Bowling Green. He was rumored to have been very close to have been fired two years ago but BG decided to retain him.People might be overvaluing Lembo but the same is true for people with Clawson as well. He is not a guaranteed 7 wins coach. Even if Lembo is not coming, let's not turn this into a "Well Clawson is better anyways" thing.

The bad records were clearly early in the tenure. 0-11 1st year at Fordham; 3-8 1st year at Richmond; 2-10 2nd year at BG after going 7-6 1st year. Take those away and the records are more in line. I'm definitely not saying Clawson is "better anyway", and the main point is Wellman effing up the Lembo hire by his arrogant mindset. Clawson is the fallback but he's not a bad option IMO.

That's an awfully simplistic view of it, though.

Simple? Sure, but it's also more in-depth than just comparing championships. I think you all need to realize you're just trying to set yourself up for a Clawson hire.

It's gonna be awesome when wellman proudly introduces Frank Solich

I am more worried about Lembo looking like a total DONK. Also not being an expert at either side of the ball. Not excited to be at the mercy of coordinators that can come and go as we've seen.

I think you could make the same conclusion in regard to Clawson, given his failed OC stint at Tennessee. Not sure how much his coaches have followed him around

FWIW, Clawson was really very highly thought of at UR. That title team under London was pretty talented. I'd be fine with either Clawson or Lembo. And if Lembo told us no, then Clawson would be a nice fallback option.

Oh Heaven's yes!!! We need a good, decent man like that Stteed Loboztinker. He loves Jeebus, oh yes he does.

Lembo turning us down should send up all sorts of red flags about the future vision of the AD/Admin.

Probably want to ask this guy then. He won it every year he played. You're going to allow Armanti to curse you by affecting your judgement about this coaching search.

Not Lembo's last year at Elon where he went 5-3 in conference.

Bad records when first starting out have lowered Clawson's record, similar to what probably will happen when taking over Wake. As long as the bad records were in the beginning of a tenure I'm okay with that. Winning actual championships is a good thing too. I believe Clawson and Lembo are closer in desirability than the raw records state. I'm pro Lembo because I think he has been our first choice, and it seems Wellman can't reel him in.

No kidding - just looking at total overall record is stupid. I see two guys that have won at every step they have made. I don't know enough about the situations at any of the schools that they have coached at to make an informed decision if their trajectory at that school was appropriate or impressive, and I dare say 99%of the posters on this board don't either (though it obviously won't stop them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back