• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson kickoff set for 3:30

Didn’t Grobe get beat similarly by an unbanked Maryland? I also remember UConn hanging 50 some points on him.
Yeah we had bad losses, but I sure don’t remember us giving up the number of big plays we have this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t lead the nation in the least number of red zone scores given up, only because our opponents have scored so often without having to reach the red zone.

I actually think our fan support is pretty good considering the size of the school, that a huge chunk of the alumni base lives far away from Winston and that town/gown relations aren't exactly the strongest. We get overrun when we play marquee opponents at home but the same thing happens at Vandy, Northwestern and Duke

I actually think our fan support is pretty good considering the size of the school, that a huge chunk of the alumni base lives far away from Winston and that town/gown relations aren't exactly the strongest. We get overrun when we play marquee opponents at home but the same thing happens at Vandy, Northwestern and Duke

Yeah, it certainly isn’t exclusive to us.

I grew up 40 minutes from Wake and I didn’t know another Wake fan until high school. Wake seems to exist in its own bubble in northwest North Carolina. I don’t know if sustained success would change it that much.

Saturday was the worst performance I have seen by a WF teeam and I have been a fan since '58. This maybe my last season as a season ticket holder. There is no excuse for a team playing that bad in the 6th game of the season.

1995 Wake loses to FSU 72-13 in game 7.

Yeah, it certainly isn’t exclusive to us.

Agree 100%. Typical ass kicking hot takes from some knowledgeable "fans" Yes it was butt ugly but listen to Clawson's post game presser on YouTube for some reasoned perspective from the man who really has vested interest in our success.

I grew up 40 minutes from Wake and I didn’t know another Wake fan until high school. Wake seems to exist in its own bubble in northwest North Carolina. I don’t know if sustained success would change it that much.

My 13 year old son asked me the other day how different would Wake Forest be if the school had remained in it's original location.

My 13 year old son asked me the other day how different would Wake Forest be if the school had remained in it's original location.

We'd have less support. This is why I've always thought our football support is better than Duke's -- we are the local ACC option for a lot of folks. Duke doesn't have that going for them due to the surrounding competition

We'd have less support. This is why I've always thought our football support is better than Duke's -- we are the local ACC option for a lot of folks. Duke doesn't have that going for them due to the surrounding competition

Right. I wonder how many actual Clemson fans from the Triad do regularly attend our games.

Agree 100%. Typical ass kicking hot takes from some knowledgeable "fans" Yes it was butt ugly but listen to Clawson's post game presser on YouTube for some reasoned perspective from the man who really has vested interest in our success.

Does someone have to be "knowledgeable" to know we lost 63-3 and looked like a high school team playing an NFL team? The contrast between our program and Clemson and even ND could not be more evident.
If Wake truly wants to compete at this level for "championships" and "cutting down nets" (THEIR words, not mine), it needs to get its head out of its proverbial ass and make deep changes.

I don't see it happening. Do I hope so? Absolutely.

Bad losses during the Grobe era:

2003: 17-51 vs. UConn
2004: 7-52 at Miami
2008: 0-26 at Md.
2010: 24 -68 at Stanford, 0-31 at FSU, 14-62 at Md.
2011: 7-41 vs. Vandy
2012: 0-52 at FSU, 0-38 at ND, 21-55 vs. Vandy
2013: 7-56 at Clemson, 3-59 vs. FSU

Mama said there'll be days like this
There'll be days like this, mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
There'll be days like this, my mama said
(Mama said, mama said)*

*The Shirelles

We got our asses kicked at State one year. We were completely inept on offense. It might have actually been Clawson's first year.

Ok I'll play along. Put those 600 at the 50 yard line. I would say East Side but I'm sure folks would rather sit on the Tower side. Let them tailgate in the Gold Lot so they can be close to the Deacon Walk. Put those folks in the most visible places to represent Wake football. Shoot back Biff, give me some better ideas.

I know that Wake does not have a great history or following in football but Jesus man, can we not come together for some better fucking ideas to get fan support better and put all the diehards in one place, whether it be 200, 600, or 1,000 folks. There has to be a better way to do this because Saturday was fucking embarrassing and I'm not even talking about what took place on the field. Oh and I know the Athletic Dept. would never do something like that. Just thinking out loud.

Won't happen, but in a survey from the athletic dept. about last Saturday's "game day atmosphere", I said that Parents/Family Weekend should occur when we play an opponent who otherwise will take over our stadium, i.e. Clemson, VT, NCSU, etc. The west stands were packed vs. Rice, even more so than vs. ND. You could tell that for many parents it was their first game; lots of lost looks trying to find their seats and/or get back to it after a concession/pee run.

Won't happen, but in a survey from the athletic dept. about last Saturday's "game day atmosphere", I said that Parents/Family Weekend should occur when we play an opponent who otherwise will take over our stadium, i.e. Clemson, VT, NCSU, etc. The west stands were packed vs. Rice, even more so than vs. ND. You could tell that for many parents it was their first game; lots of lost looks trying to find their seats and/or get back to it after a concession/pee run.

For the Rice game in section 2, we were surrounded by students and their parents for family weekend. I guess the only problem with that is the admin might not want to subject the parents, many of whom probably only come to one Wake game a year, to a potential beat down like we saw Saturday.

Yeah it's always funny and actually quite puzzling to me how what appears should be intelligent people can't figure out where their seat is. I've never been to a stadium, coliseum, etc. and needed any help finding my freaking seat, it's right there on the ticket stub. I mean every Saturday I see people wandering around like they have no clue where their seat is. If your ticket says row AAA, then your seat is not on row A or row AA, its on row AAA!!!! If you ticket says section 1, your damn seat isn't in section 2!!! The numbers on the seats really confuse people too and I can understand that just a little bit, since the old seat numbers are still there, but common sense ought to tell you the black numbers are the real ones now. :rulz:

Last edited:
Right. I wonder how many actual Clemson fans from the Triad do regularly attend our games.

I help coach my sons travel ball team and the guy I coach with who does like Wake, is a Clemson fan first. So when the Big Orange machine comes to town for football and baseball, you guessed it, he's wearing orange. Don't think he cares too much for basketball. Otherwise he does attend Wake sporting events and will wear Wake stuff. It stings yes but I suppose that's how it is with a lot of folks. I would love to know how many Clemson fans were at the game Saturday that bought season tickets for that one game or were given tickets by Wake folks to attend said game.

I like that idea and let's be honest, would a family member rather come watch Wake play Rice or one of the above mentioned?

Btw, could you imagine some of those same folks coming to a game at a bigger stadium.

Last edited:
1995 Wake loses to FSU 72-13 in game 7.

Point differential: 72-13=59; 63-3=60.

I'm sure that I have forgotten some terrible losses. But I cannot recall any team getting ripped for break away run after break away run like this team.

I like that idea and let's be honest, would a family member rather come watch Wake play Rice or one of the above mentioned?

Btw, could you imagine some of those same folks coming to a game at a bigger stadium.

Yeah, I know. Imagine the horror for those poor people trying to find their seats if we had an upper deck, lol!!!!

Saturday was the worst performance I have seen by a WF teeam and I have been a fan since '58. This maybe my last season as a season ticket holder. There is no excuse for a team playing that bad in the 6th game of the season.

there is a zero point zero percent chance you've been a Wake fan since 1958 and that was the worst game you've seen

Bad losses during the Grobe era:

2003: 17-51 vs. UConn
2004: 7-52 at Miami
2008: 0-26 at Md.
2010: 24 -68 at Stanford, 0-31 at FSU, 14-62 at Md.
2011: 7-41 vs. Vandy
2012: 0-52 at FSU, 0-38 at ND, 21-55 vs. Vandy
2013: 7-56 at Clemson, 3-59 vs. FSU

There'll be days like this, mama said
(Mama said, mama said)
There'll be days like this, my mama said
(Mama said, mama said)*

*The Shirelles

More apt would be, “Mama said there would be EONS like this, mama said.”

Back