• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

I'm really hoping this is the year we do it...but I don't think it will be.

As I'm sure everyone has said (I haven't read this whole thread), our OLine will struggle against their DLine, and if we can't run the ball they will be able to zero in on the passing game and pass rush.

Shipley is going to run all over us I suspect.

But with all that said, if we can score on 2 of our first 4 possessions and force a turnover or 3, then we might pull it out...especially considering how Clemson has looked at times this year.

But my (un)educated guess is we fall to Clemson at a score of right around their average so far, 42-14, pushing toward 42-17 or 42-21. Somewhere in there.

You mean ACC ROY Josh Adams who was one of our highest ranked recruits in school history (at the time) and was criminally underused by Lobo?
Oh I was a fan of the guy. Didn't mean for it to come across as me saying he was trash or something. He just LOVED the jump cut.

Clemson was only up 13-6 at halftime, at home, against powerhouse Louisiana Tech who won 3 games last year. And Louisiana Tech ran for -1 yards in the first half, had a punt blocked, and threw an interception.
Yeah, and they ended up winning by 4 TDs. Shockingly, the points at the end count the same as those at the beginning, especially when you are a power team whose gameplan is to physically pound the other team over all 4 quarters. We are going to get hammered.

I mean Louisiana Tech got pounded on the ground by Missouri worse than they did Clemson. This game will be a good indication of how much our defense has improved. If they run all over us we will lose.

Last edited:
I mean Louisiana Tech got pounded on the ground by Missouri worse than they did Clemson. This game will be a good indication of how much our defense has improved. If they run all over us we will lose.
Clemson averaged 7.2 ypc against La Tech. Missouri averaged 6.5 ypc against La Tech

Shipley ran 12 times for 139 yards and two touchdowns, and then they put him under glass to save him for Saturday

Clemson averaged 7.2 ypc against La Tech. Missouri averaged 6.5 ypc against La Tech

Shipley ran 12 times for 139 yards and two touchdowns, and then they put him under glass to save him for Saturday

Shipley ran for 35 yards on two plays in the 4th quarter when they put him and DJ back in because La Tech was back within two touchdowns. Granted, 10 carries for 134 yards are good stats too.

I mean the point is that Louisiana Tech played two power five teams got completely run over both games.

A Wake tradition is to have the opponent's starting QB playing so bad or injured, that they put in #2. In Clemsons case, many fans don't like "Andale" and want the frosh 5 star to start. When this happens we easily lose.

Wake will need to play an almost perfect game and will need Clemson to make mistakes. We are nowhere near going to out-talent them so we have to find the difference somewhere.

Wake will need to play an almost perfect game and will need Clemson to make mistakes. We are nowhere near going to out-talent them so we have to find the difference somewhere.

Our wide receivers are better than theirs and our QB is better than theirs. But the game is won in the trenches and that’s where they kill us every year.

So, let’s see what the Clawfense looks like on Saturday to keep them off balance.

O/U for this game is 55.5. What am I missing ? Seems like Clemson is going to score 40 and we’ll put up enough to push this to at least 60.

O/U for this game is 55.5. What am I missing ? Seems like Clemson is going to score 40 and we’ll put up enough to push this to at least 60.

Assumption is that Vegas expects Clemson to completely shut us down. Which they might if we don't find some creativity and a run game.
O/U should be more like 62.5. Good bet at 55.5.

Assumption is that Vegas expects Clemson to completely shut us down. Which they might if we don't find some creativity and a run game.
O/U should be more like 62.5. Good bet at 55.5.
Yeah but they also have it at a 7.5 spread. So that’s like a 31-24 game to get to 55 points. If this game is tight I think it will be because the offenses are both productive, not because of the Clemson defense shutting us down and their offense coasting to victory with 28 points.

I don't recall a more program-changing game in my lifetime as a Wake sports fan. Sure, there have been many big games. I don't recall one that has the potential to move us to a different orbit, conversation, media-hype and recruiting.

Perhaps the Duncan run to the Final 8 or the Depaul win in '83. I guess those would be close. Certainly the Orange Bowl would be very close. But this game could be a "game changer".
The thing that makes this game so massive is that we've never really had stakes like this in September. The Orange Bowl was awesome, but it was still viewed as just a cap on a nationally perceived dream season vs. the start of a pretty good run.

A Wake tradition is to have the opponent's starting QB playing so bad or injured, that they put in #2. In Clemsons case, many fans don't like "Andale" and want the frosh 5 star to start. When this happens we easily lose.

I have been calling this scenario for months. I stand by it. We start strong enough to force DJ out of the game. Klubnik comes in and destroys us. Clemson wins by something like 45-21 and we start another "new era" at Clemson. Sigh...

Back