• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

I reached the end of the internet a while ago and am now working my way backwards

Tigerswood and freakadeac...

I'm aware of the defensive adjustment Clemson made. Quick short and midrange routes should be open. Running against the Clemson DL and LB's had limited TD potential. It is the strength of their D.

Sure the defense could have been better, but when you consider we basically spotted them 14 and it looked like Clemson was going to put up 60 in regulation, I have to credit the defense for not folding.

On offense, the announcers kept saying 'Wake was willing to take sacks because of their aggressive offense' that just highlights how bad our 4th qtr play calling was. Basically says we are willing to push the offense as long as the game is not on the line.

Anyone rationalizing this loss is just LOWF.

This was a huge opportunity for the program. It wasn't some fluke game, we played nose to nose with a top 5 Clemson. We flinched when the game was on the line.

We can win the rest of our games and that would not be as important to establishing Wake as a serious contender as winning this game was.

If I have to relate this to a game in Wake sports history it would be the 95 hoops game at UNC. Top 10 teams, Wake wins has UNC, for the only time in Childress' career and establishes Wake as a national contender. That's what we lost today. In ACC football there are not too many games that can do that for a program.

haha, weren't you just posting in the first quarter how much Hartman sucks and the Cam was right about him? But now you trust him and Clawson doesn't.....ok.
game thread, bro

take your high horse back on over to 247

DJ played like a 5 star QB yesterday. there were plenty of situations where guys were well covered and he dropped dimes right in where their huge receivers could catch them. It wasn't like we were blowing coverages like with some of our other games where we had defensive breakdowns. and outside of the first play we defended the run well.

Sam played great, but DJ was more accurate over the course of the game.

DJ played like a 5 star QB yesterday. there were plenty of situations where guys were well covered and he dropped dimes right in where their huge receivers could catch them. It wasn't like we were blowing coverages like with some of our other games where we had defensive breakdowns. and outside of the first play we defended the run well.

Agreed.
If you’d told me before the game we’d have DJ beat us in the air. I’d have really liked our chances. But he came through in a big way. I was impressed with him after some really pedestrian play in other times I’ve watched him.

That’s what I was saying - it wasn’t that first down run that killed that drive, it was Sam looking off the easy pass to wide open Ellison in the flat and then taking the sack. I saw him look at Ellison and then keep scanning left
Ugh

I said this on the Chat Thread, but the defensive scheme and coverages were just fine. DJ made some insane passes to guys who were well covered.

We had Shipley short of the goal line and he just powered through.

On the broadcast they mentioned that over some span of time Clemson has had 66 ESPN 300 recruits. Wake has had zero.

Definitely an absolute sea change from the last time Clemson came to Winston
Agree.

But IMHO the difference is Hartman. Rushing numbers aren't really better nor the D numbers.

He is special.

Would love for our coaches to have wrapped up a 4 or 5 star replacement by now (Drake Maye), but it hasn't happened. No offense to Kerns or Griffis, but I doubt they'll ever perform at Hartmans level.

I said this on the Chat Thread, but the defensive scheme and coverages were just fine. DJ made some insane passes to guys who were well covered.

We had Shipley short of the goal line and he just powered through.

On the broadcast they mentioned that over some span of time Clemson has had 66 ESPN 300 recruits. Wake has had zero.
which is remarkable when you think how badly our receivers abused their secondary yesterday.

Agree.

But IMHO the difference is Hartman. Rushing numbers aren't really better nor the D numbers.

He is special.

Would love for our coaches to have wrapped up a 4 or 5 star replacement by now (Drake Maye), but it hasn't happened. No offense to Kerns or Griffis, but I doubt they'll ever perform at Hartmans level.
Would be nice to have another running threat QB, but those guys who also are effective passers don’t grow on trees.

In my opinion we should have used a timeout when they ran the ball on first down with like 35 seconds left. Especially with as shaky as their punting game had been.

Just rewatched the game against my better judgment. Woof, I’ve got to say…electing not to send pressure on those third and long plays in the third and fourth quarter is mind boggling. Sure, we sent pressure previously that got picked up, but 3rd and 21, 3rd and 9 and 3rd and 6 in the third and fourth quarter we rushed three and they not only converted but scored on each of the next offensive series. Back breaker.

Also, I think if we had Carson, we break up at least one or two of those bombs that targeted JJ Roberts.

So close. Still in pain.

Back