• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Well that’s not good

Alaska snow crab season canceled as officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion crabs

In a major blow to America's seafood industry, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has, for the first time in state history, canceled the winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea due to their falling numbers. While restaurant menus will suffer, scientists worry what the sudden population plunge means for the health of the Arctic ecosystem.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population.

Well that’s not good

Alaska snow crab season canceled as officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion crabs

In a major blow to America's seafood industry, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has, for the first time in state history, canceled the winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea due to their falling numbers. While restaurant menus will suffer, scientists worry what the sudden population plunge means for the health of the Arctic ecosystem.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population.
To be fair, Russian illegal over fishing is an equally plausible suspect in this story.

not news, but sad nonetheless (thread)

This is a part of why I switched to canned water. Got used to it in Scotland this summer and stuck with it when I got home. Love me some Liquid Death.

That NPR article from 2 or 3 years ago about how plastic recycling was a marketing tool of the plastic industry was mind blowing to me. They sold the idea that plastic could be and was being broadly recycled to use environmentalist concerns against the environment and sell more plastic.

In the absence of tap water (my usual), having a reclosable bottle is kind of convenient.

We get water cooler delivery and have been happy with it.

This one isn't wrong though. I am starting to see ag forests in North Florida and south Georgia, managed for timber production over the last 50 years but also serving as pretty good wildlife habitat for things like gopher tortoise, pine snakes, indigo snakes, Swainson's warblers, etc. get clear cut and converted to solar farms. Seems like covering every urban surface with a solar panel should be done before we start clear cutting forests 3 hours south of Atlanta.

Just wait until some dumb country or corporation knocks the moon out of orbit and we lose our tides and the world is doubly fucked

Just wait until some dumb country or corporation knocks the moon out of orbit and we lose our tides and the world is doubly fucked

That's pretty much impossible but makes for a great Roland Emmerich movie plot.

Odds are much better for a super villain to write his name on it with a laser.
Space-X Moon Tweets. Pay $8,000,000 a month to write your tweets on the moon.

Back