• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

the free market will fix all this eventually, right?

the free market will fix all this eventually, right?
Not with all the subsidies old white guys (and a few gals) in congress get from legacy, climate changing, industries ensuring 'Merica keeps living in the past.

Not with all the subsidies old white guys (and a few gals) in congress get from legacy, climate changing, industries ensuring 'Merica keeps living in the past.

Which industries specifically?

Which industries specifically?
Coal. Anti green tech. My in laws live in a wva county that lost a military base and refused to turn it into a white collar crime facility and get new jobs. Instead they shut down that negotiation and kept living in a poverty stricken and jobless area. At least they aren't a drain on blue counties...

isn't a fair amount of the grid still powered by fossil fuel as well? feels like science and human innovation is the only X factor in the fight against climate change and really the only possibility that un-fucks this thing but I'm just having a hard time seeing how it actually happens

isn't a fair amount of the grid still powered by fossil fuel as well? feels like science and human innovation is the only X factor in the fight against climate change and really the only possibility that un-fucks this thing but I'm just having a hard time seeing how it actually happens
Yes, but I would note that renewable energy is the cheapest source of electricity in most of the world and within a year or two will be the cheapest everywhere. 90% of new electricity capacity installed globally last year was renewable energy. That's why subsidies are inefficient. But keep in mind that demand is growing. We actually have the technology, but we do not have the political will to retire fossil fuel assets and replace them with the cheapest form of electricity.

The idea that we need to mechanically suck GHGs out of the air is false and dangerous. If you get emissions to net zero by 2050 (and start now to reduce near-term emissions) then we would surpass 1.5ºC of warming, but temperature rise would stabilize in ~3 years, and within 25 years carbon would start releasing from the atmosphere.

Also, do you guys/do you think others understand the difference between climate change and other environmental issues? Plastics only affect climate change in terms of the oil extracted for petrochemical plants and the manufacturing emissions. Recycling is therefore only relevant if new production produces more emissions than the recycling process.

I don't really see much out there promoting recycling as a way to address climate change. It's typically about reducing waste and landfills.

Issues with plastics are things like floating trash islands in the Pacific and microplastics in our water and even our blood. It isn't a climate change issue, but there is no harm in trying to work on two things at once.

"This is a critical step toward ensuring that our domestic nuclear fleet will continue providing reliable and affordable power to Americans as the nation's largest source of clean electricity," Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a statement.

oil lobby ain't gonna like that. is that nuclear? doesn't sound safe with our borders the way they are

Back