• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

I have no idea how homeless are surviving in Phx right now. The low has gone below 90 once since July 8. Everyone here treats it like any other summer though
It's been a while since I've been to AZ, but didn't it used to get cool-ish at night? Maybe that was outside PHX.

This deserves some follow-up. The warnings weren't just hype.

Tons of other videos from other perspectives available out there.

Video coming out of Acapulco is absolutely devastating. Looks like a bomb exploded over the entire area.

Are you feeling a little too happy and having too good of a week? Then try reading this NY times article profiling a group of scientists trying to save species from extinction in the face of climate change.

WHY DIDNT YOU SEND A DUPLICATE COPY TO YOUR CONGRESS PERSON?!?

Thanks for nothing, PhDeac.
Did you find the 3 Time Magazine covers that were showing the worries about the “coming ice age”? I have copies of those 3 covers if you need to borrow them.

Yeah, but don't you sleep better knowing oil tycoons are still comfortable?
The nuts that still want but aren’t buying the EV cars because the costs are $10,000+ higher than gas cars, have now got all the car maker CEO’s worried because EV sales are way down. They are losing their asses on EV’s and will be lowering production (costs if cars & higher interest rates lowering sales).

But EV’s, when & if they do get started in a buying cycle, have to have something to run ON! EV tires are made out of oil. It takes 5-7 gallons of oil to make 1 car tire. Plus EV cars have to have roads. Your highways are made of petroleum products. So they ain’t going anywhere. (Nor are their profits). That is why Exxon just bought Pioneer Resources for $60 billion AND Chevron just bought Hess for $53 billion. Gas, oil & diesel fuel are going nowhere.

Cost parity is predicted within 3 years and I believe hybrids are selling faster than pure ICE cars right now. The charging infrastructure is the problem in the US, as are some raw material fights. And overall fossil fuel demand trends show a peak by 2030, if not sooner. That's why those deals are happening; so that those companies can squeeze as much profit out as soon as possible.

Great logic work though. You should be very proud of yourself. Remember to wipe up after your meeting with an oil company CEO.

What if they made electric vehicles, with electric tires ?

Cost parity is predicted within 3 years and I believe hybrids are selling faster than pure ICE cars right now. The charging infrastructure is the problem in the US, as are some raw material fights. And overall fossil fuel demand trends show a peak by 2030, if not sooner. That's why those deals are happening; so that those companies can squeeze as much profit out as soon as possible.

Great logic work though. You should be very proud of yourself. Remember to wipe up after your meeting with an oil company CEO.
My biggest fear about an electric vehicle is road trips. What if I can't find a charging location if I need to recharge?

I'm good about filling up a car before a trip. My wife, not so much.

When you do recharge, you're down for an hour and getting more gas takes 10min.

Did you find the 3 Time Magazine covers that were showing the worries about the “coming ice age”? I have copies of those 3 covers if you need to borrow them.
Go ahead and post real homemade photos of the time magazine covers that you own from the '70s. Go get them, take them out of the archival plastic sleave, take a picture and then post it here.

My biggest fear about an electric vehicle is road trips. What if I can't find a charging location if I need to recharge?

I'm good about filling up a car before a trip. My wife, not so much.

When you do recharge, you're down for an hour and getting more gas takes 10min.
We bought a pacifica hybrid (mini van mafia baby!). We get 32 miles fully electric before it auto switches to hybrid. Not counting one vacation road trip, we have put 4 tanks of gas in the car since April.

Last edited:
Back