• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach [Redacted]

Main thing Belmont has working against them is their conference. The WCC and Horizon have always been higher-regarded leagues than the A-Sun ... when Gonzaga began their run in '99 they were a 10 seed largely on the strength of their conference.

I wouldn't say Belmont completely missed their shot as they had a young team this year (returning about 83% of their offense). What they should do is what Wofford did this year and schedule up OOC (though it didn't work out great for the Terriers). Beat a couple of those teams (Gonzaga beat tournament team Washington in '99, though it was @ home, doubt Belmont will be hosting Vandy or Tennessee), dominate your conference and you're looking at a much better seed.

Main thing Belmont has working against them is their conference. The WCC and Horizon have always been higher-regarded leagues than the A-Sun ... when Gonzaga began their run in '99 they were a 10 seed largely on the strength of their conference.

I wouldn't say Belmont completely missed their shot as they had a young team this year (returning about 83% of their offense). What they should do is what Wofford did this year and schedule up OOC (though it didn't work out great for the Terriers). Beat a couple of those teams (Gonzaga beat tournament team Washington in '99, though it was @ home, doubt Belmont will be hosting Vandy or Tennessee), dominate your conference and you're looking at a much better seed.

Belmont's been trying to schedule up OOC for years. Problem is that no one will play them. A loss is disastrous and a win does nothing for the program. Belmont also gets NO help from the conference. The WCC was smart in doing whatever they could to promote Gonzaga; result is the whole conference is upgraded (St. Mary's is now a perennial contender). A-Sun, for whatever reason, does not see this. They want league parity.

Guess my main thought is that a loss isn't necessarily disastrous. Look at a team like VCU ... they had 11 losses and are a CAA team and yet they still found a way into the tournament. This year in particular seems to suggest that the committee would rather you play teams and lose then play nobodies and win.

I do empathize with Belmont's plight, but unfortunately you've got to play an SOS higher than 316 to get a good seeding (as difficult as it may be for them to schedule up).

Last edited:
Belmont did get the short end of the stick. They were a legitimately good team that faced an underseeded 4 seed. They will keep it up as long as Byrd is there though.

Butler can easily become better than Gonzaga if they can make another Final Four.

True story: I wanted to go to Butler for like 5 years before I came to Wake....the choices we make :rulz:

I must have missed Gonzaga's Final Four appearance. Here are Gonzaga and Butler's tournament records starting in 1999 when Gonzaga made their Elite Eight run.

Gonzaga - 16-13 (1 Elite Eight, 4 Sweet 16)
Butler - 13-7 (1 National Runner-Up, 3 Sweet 16 for now)

It took longer for Butler to become consistent tournament participants but they've done better when they get there. I think you can argument that Butler has already surpassed Gonzaga.

So does Haas make the transition to this board?

Just look at the form on that chest pass in my avatar...once he instills that in his players, Final Fours here we come!:thumbsup:

I hope nobody is holding Buzz's lack of success against his daughter. That would be weak sauce to the extreme.

There have been a few ugly things said to her and to his wife.

I heard one comment myself...it was made by an old fat guy as she was walking by his seat during the game she did not dance b/c she was sick.

Another of what I consider just too much of a coincidence .

He coached at Davidson.

They own a home at Sunset Beach (and have owned it for a while).

They have good friends in NC and visited often.

Courtney visited Wake a few years before she applied and fell in love with it.

What's not to love?

Definitely sucks. I feel bad that he's putting his family through this. His daughter doesn't deserve this.

Absolute fucking nonsense for anybody to say anything negative about Buzz's wife or daughter. They should be ashamed of themselves. Twats.

Definitely sucks. I feel bad that he's putting his family through this. His daughter doesn't deserve this.

Yeap.

As disappointed as I was in this basketball season, I was even more disappointed in our fans.

Wake fans are better than what was displayed this season. Criticism is expected and deserved, but being downright hateful and mean was not. The Bzdeliks are very nice people who really do (did?) love Wake Forest.

The same fat guy yelled something ugly at Ari's mom, too.

I get what you're saying with this and agree with the premise but no matter how bad of a job he's doing, we shouldn't say "he's putting his family through this." If one of us does a bad job at our work, we catch the blame without putting our family through anything but our own stress. There is absolutely no excuse or reason (and I do know that you were not trying to insinuate that there was) for anyone to take this out on them

Back